Latest Updates:
Normal Topic How to face learning, in the most optimal way? (Read 3121 times)
CroatianSensation
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: How to face learning, in the most optimal way?
Reply #5 - 10/09/18 at 21:17:40
Post Tools
The most optimal way from a scientific perspective is to start from the simplest components and work your way outwards. It's what literally all of the science on the subject says to do. That would mean starting with the most basic tactics, mastering them fully and solidly, the most basic positional ideas, the most basic concepts, and having a rock solid foundation on them and expanding on them gradually. I think Applying Logic in Chess by Kislik touched on this concept. I think Axel Smith and Aagaard are on board with this idea too, although I don't know if they explicitly teach it. Dvoretsky has discussed the idea of this, but didn't go into detail. I hope that helps.

IP Logged

AmnesiaKush
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/21/18 at 08:50:07
Post Tools
TY for this deep answer, i think i catch what you mean

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #3 - 09/20/18 at 22:21:51
Post Tools
As a non-chess-player, you might be shocked by a few things that we players take for granted about chess strategies.

Chess concepts or ideas, anyway the kind professionals might learn, nearly always must be applied as if through a  cloud of noise or electric static. If I showed you games in which an idea bears fruit, you would probably not even be able to see the idea operating because it would be executed only intermittently, while constantly postponed or interrupted by many events--exchanges, tactics, necessary rearrangements  of the pieces, etc. Then the idea might normally be abandoned in a state of partial completion, for example if an opportunity for an attack on the king arose out of the opponent's efforts to avoid the idea's impact. This would be entirely normal, and you can even see such obscured examples used in textbooks as if they were clear!

Furthermore, you cannot simply decide to practice an idea and then do so relentlessly.  The opponent can nearly always prevent it, and will often do so essentially at random--at the cost of allowing you to pursue some other idea. Therefore the only way to learn the application of ideas is with large numbers of games, so that the ideas eventually turn up.

Even when they do appear and are executed, strategic ideas still tend to be statistical affairs--like forcing your opponent to drive without a seat belt, or drive through a somewhat congested area. That is, even if you implement your idea cleanly, there's no guarantee the idea will work; rather, statistically things are probably going to favor you (as when a soccer team's attackers outnumber the defenders around a goal). Once again, only long practice makes the learning stick. Maybe this will help you understand why.

In short, compared to the popular idea of it, chess--is a mess.
« Last Edit: 09/20/18 at 23:53:15 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

AmnesiaKush
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/20/18 at 13:06:28
Post Tools
thanks for answering, is that I realized that even having some perfectly clear things I am not able to apply or assimilate, so I asked, if the professionals have some technique to assimilate concepts, it would be great to know

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 09/20/18 at 09:37:04
Post Tools
The question makes perfect sense.

My answer is that there is no shortcut:

1) Play lots of games (preferably slow ones)
2) Analyse these games (by yourself)

Over time, you will find certain concepts becoming second nature by following this process.

IP Logged

AmnesiaKush
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

How to face learning, in the most optimal way?
09/20/18 at 07:57:54
Post Tools
What I mean is, once a player knows a concept, whether technical or attitude to the game, how is the process from when you know it until you apply it completely and it is already part of your game?
Idk if i am being clear, I do not play chess,
I am only interested in knowing, how is the process of the professionals since they know a concept until they assimilate it and are able to apply it. How should this process or how to focus learning to apply what is learned in the fastest and most efficient way for be part of the game?
Sorry for my bad english, and ty for read it

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo