Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Gambits chess book app (Read 2101 times)
fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Gambits chess book app
Reply #8 - 10/14/18 at 13:59:01
Post Tools
CroatianSensation wrote on 10/09/18 at 04:55:10:
This is all good news. To be honest, I had heard that the app was buggy, but it must have been improved within the past 6 months. Kudos to them for actually improving the product.

The app is much better now, but a drawback is that there aren't many new books published at all by Gambit the last couple of years.

IP Logged

CroatianSensation
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 10/09/18 at 04:55:10
Post Tools
This is all good news. To be honest, I had heard that the app was buggy, but it must have been improved within the past 6 months. Kudos to them for actually improving the product.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 10/05/18 at 10:46:37
Post Tools
I appreciate the effort put into the Gambit App. The pricing is also reasonable for their books compared to other apps. The UI is nice and responsive.

However, my personal preference is to try and stick to Everyman as much as possible for ebooks. The only reason being that they provide PGN files, so I know that I have this material at my disposal no matter what happens to the platform.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #5 - 10/04/18 at 01:36:00
Post Tools
Apps and ebooks have the drawbacks you noted, but over time they will get better. Books will stay the same.

One possible enhancement would be an annotation tool for the ebook. To start it could just be a text comment, later it could be the moves that were entered manually, copied in by a button.

IP Logged

GeneM

Tournament winner gets
two fun filled knights!

Reply #4 - 10/04/18 at 00:39:42
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 10/03/18 at 19:59:33:
It used to be painful using any app to read a book,
but pretty soon I will prefer it to a paper copy.
The biggest drawback I can see is no way to get a cheap used copy of an ebook.

(I have slightly edited the above quotation.)

I find myself not "preferring" either format over the other
(the two formats being 'active chess ebook' and 'paperback book').
Instead, I find that having a given Opening chess book in BOTH formats is better than having the book in only either one format.

Amazon.com allows authors to sell the static Kindle ebook edition of their chess paperback in a special deal:
If the customer buys the paperback, the customer can then (and only then) pay an extra dollar or two to also obtain the Kindle ebook edition.  Authors should offer this deal to their customers.  I think the chance of lost sales, due to a pair of friends cooperating to get one of each edition, to be rare.

And as Rene D. noted, it seems inevitable that someday all your active chess ebooks will become unavailable, due to the march of technology and/or the eventual death of the particular company that currently publishes the given active chess ebook: partly because each uses its own proprietary internal format.

However, given that Amazon.com does not offer the active chess ebook editions, I see no practical way for the active chess ebook cheaply to anyone who buys the paperback.

One gripe I have with the active chess ebooks is that, as with Fritz and other ChessBase products, the applications do Not remember the latest path you took into the variations, that landed you at the analysis position you are at.
So if you want to backtrack and replay the same variation, you must remember each move choice as you re-step through the variation; and you must perform the sometimes tedious mouse movements and clicks to reaffirm each choice; in order to eventually arrive back and the same particular end position.

GeneM , CastleLong.com , FRC-chess960
IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #3 - 10/03/18 at 22:23:03
Post Tools
That's a very good point. Here's another: if the e-publisher goes under, doesn't our library disappear? I have old files for certain platforms I can no longer use.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #2 - 10/03/18 at 19:59:33
Post Tools
Version 3 for iOS is similar to what ReneDescartes described. It used to be painful using any app to read a book, but pretty soon I will prefer it to a paper copy. One can only conclude that the developers have some actual chess players to consult with. The biggest drawback I can see is no way to get a cheap used copy of an ebook.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #1 - 10/03/18 at 18:45:39
Post Tools
Yeah, Version 2 for Android is great. It has engine analysis, the ability to enter your own moves, customizable board colors, a smoothly resizable board, and comprehensive cross-referencing of variations in the books (i.e., if a section refers to another section, the reference acts as a clickable link).

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Gambits chess book app
10/03/18 at 15:10:02
Post Tools
Hi all. Has anyone used gambits chess book app? I use the everyman and forward chess ones, was thinking of getting a gambit book and thought why not try the app version. Please let me know what you think. Lol if it's not the best I'll just get the kindle version. Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo