Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Post-mortem analysis on that locked thread (Read 10204 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Post-mortem analysis on that locked thread
Reply #19 - 10/04/19 at 08:49:47
Post Tools
Regarding the possibility of 'raids' here, it's actually quite difficult as I personally vet anyone who wants to be a member (to avoid spammers and bots) nowadays, and I even stopped all new inscriptions when we were voting on the book of the year last time round.
If I notice a particularly active and contentious thread in the future I will be much more careful about allowing any potential sock puppets to join. In fact, it might be an idea to send me a PM just in case.

IP Logged

JFugre

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 10/04/19 at 07:14:10
Post Tools
I couldn't be sure what you referred to, but looking around made me realize the author had a new book out, which seems to have passed by without as much as a whimper.

Given that my main criticism for the old book would've been the long-winded explanations that just don't seem to be to be able to get to the point, and seeing that the new book is over twice as long as the old one, that's probably a good thing.

I guess it's not easy to work on weaknesses if you can't cope with criticism.

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 10/02/19 at 06:40:39
Post Tools
I do think the raid idea is far-fetched.

It's happening again, only this time about reviews on a big book selling site...
Three negative reviews about a certain familiar looking book seem to attract a lot of comments, with a certain writing style  Roll Eyes

You cannot read the comments if you use your phone b.t.w.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #16 - 12/06/18 at 19:46:34
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 12/06/18 at 05:38:30:
I don't know for sure which one we encountered, but it's worth considering it might not have been sockpuppets. Or it might have been both, with maybe a troll or two in there as well. Is the idea of raiding really so far-fetched? It sounds like old-fashioned tribalism with a virtual twist. I would have said that some of posts we saw were also far-fetched, and yet there they were.

To be precise I didn't mean raiding was far-fetched in general, I'm sure it happens quite a bit around the net.

But in this particular case, I'm thinking ChessPub isn't exactly the world's largest or most active forum, so how likely is it anyone would bother organizing a raid here? And also, how exactly would someone's posts here contribute to their karma somewhere else? I didn't know that metrics here (number of posts, etc.) are connected to any other forums, but maybe they are. Else the raiders would need some kind of "accountant" to take stock of everyone's contribution to the raid.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #15 - 12/06/18 at 17:35:45
Post Tools
Good point. I'll let someone else decide if it was an imitation or the real thing. A couple days ago was the first time I heard the term raid, so I wanted to bring it up.

I spent about 2 minutes scrolling up and down on that page. I was slightly familiar with the subject because it also consumed the USCF boards. Then I returned to the post you linked to and read just that one. Mig's final words were:
Quote:
... That said, when there is obviously someone about posting as other people my patience for that sort of thing is going to be thin. And THAT said, I haven't read most of the above posts and never will. (emphasis added) If someone has actual information relevant to the case they can send it to me -- not anonymously!

P.S. I don't consider myself anonymous here, semi-anonymous at best. My handle is ironic, and was given to me many years ago by a GM.

IP Logged

IM_Serious

Bibliophile

Reply #14 - 12/06/18 at 06:45:49
Post Tools

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #13 - 12/06/18 at 05:38:30
Post Tools
I think you *are* getting the point quite well. Raiding as different from sockpuppetry is not *my* theory originally; it was advanced by someone on El Reg. I don't know for sure which one we encountered, but it's worth considering it might not have been sockpuppets. Or it might have been both, with maybe a troll or two in there as well. Is the idea of raiding really so far-fetched? It sounds like old-fashioned tribalism with a virtual twist. I would have said that some of posts we saw were also far-fetched, and yet there they were.

As for the IM and GM, I follow your thinking. A cursory reader might jump to conclusions based on which side the IM+GM took. So that's a real issue. But a careful reader should see the relative merits of the arguments. And my hope is that a cursory reader would not be strongly invested in their conclusion, so it could change with more exposure to the message boards.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #12 - 12/06/18 at 00:13:37
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 12/05/18 at 01:52:08:
I would hope that it will be pretty clear to anyone visiting that thread in the future what happened there.

Based on the actual content I would think so too, but surprisingly both a respected IM (and former theory columnist here) and a claimed "secret GM" were batting for the sockpuppet side. So you never know.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #11 - 12/05/18 at 23:57:04
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 12/05/18 at 15:57:54:
Yes, well, sockpuppets is also what I thought at the time. There seems to have been multiple new accounts here from the same ip-address, which would lead one to suspect that. But based on this new information from El Reg, now I think it may have been a "raid". Which is by followers of the individual (in the El Reg case they were from reddit), but more or less independent of the individual. With sockpuppets we would know the individual was directly involved. With a raid, we don't know.

When I agreed it was a raid, I didn't realize you wanted to distinguish between sockpuppetry and raiding.

What happened here seemed like sockpuppetry and I still think it probably was. But how is raiding different? Are you saying someone somehow scored points on a different forum/site for coming here to defend the book against anything remotely critical? How would that even work technically with the point-scoring / karma / whatever? Sounds a bit far-fetched to be honest.

But I'm probably not getting your point.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #10 - 12/05/18 at 15:57:54
Post Tools
Yes, well, sockpuppets is also what I thought at the time. There seems to have been multiple new accounts here from the same ip-address, which would lead one to suspect that. But based on this new information from El Reg, now I think it may have been a "raid". Which is by followers of the individual (in the El Reg case they were from reddit), but more or less independent of the individual. With sockpuppets we would know the individual was directly involved. With a raid, we don't know.

I still think the utility of bringing this up is looking forwards, not backwards. Different defense for different attack, so to speak. Lose in an opening once, prepare an improvement for next time.
* troll: don't feed
* sockpuppets: outing
* raiders: lock the thread, or ????

IP Logged

phonological_loop
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/05/18 at 03:34:23
Post Tools
I'm confused but also not too internet savvy these days. Can you spell things out even more?

When I read that thread (quite quickly -- skimmed is a better word), I got the impression that a certain author was creating sockpuppet accounts to promote his book and provoke arguments. Given that I liked the book, where the author came across as quite level-headed, this was unwelcome and unfortunate. But also very strange. I have seen stranger, so I chalked it up to the fact that the world we live in now is a strange place (cf. the Trump presidency, the Eagles winning the Super Bowl, Elon Musk dating Grimes) and moved on.

But now you theorize that in fact this was the work of some buffoons on another website intentionally causing harm to this site, and the author in question had nothing to do with it? Am I getting this right? I would like to understand, if only to make sure I am not inappropriately judging the author for something he did not do.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #8 - 12/05/18 at 02:57:28
Post Tools
Agreed any attacks were unfortunate, agreed any normal reader will see right through them.

I think I know what not to do with a troll, although I will confess I don't always succeed in not doing it. As for sockpuppets, they always seem to get outed quickly enough, mods are good at that. But this raid is a different pattern. If it's about scoring points on a completely other message board, I don't know if there is any way to get the discussion back on track. There were early calls to lock the thread. I was quietly opposed, but by the time Tony did it, it came as a relief.

Is that the answer, then? Just quickly lock the thread, ban new threads on the topic, and be done with it? It would be funny if the raiders' intent was to boost a reputation, and ended up making the individual persona non grata.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #7 - 12/05/18 at 01:52:08
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 12/04/18 at 23:31:21:
I understand that Tony felt the need to lock the thread when he did; possibly this should have happened sooner. But it was unfortunate that the thread was locked right after a few of the "raiders" had gotten in some harsh words against their opponents, nincluding several respected long-time posters here. The raiders' attempt to sum up the thread turned the reality of what happened there, as I saw it, completely on its head. And now that will stand unanswered.

I would hope that it will be pretty clear to anyone visiting that thread in the future what happened there.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #6 - 12/04/18 at 23:31:21
Post Tools
I don't know what could be done to avoid such "raids", but it sure looks like we had one, and it wasn't pretty. I usually enjoy a bit of debate and controversy, but this went overboard.

I understand that Tony felt the need to lock the thread when he did; possibly this should have happened sooner. But it was unfortunate that the thread was locked right after a few of the "raiders" had gotten in some harsh words against their opponents, nincluding several respected long-time posters here. The raiders' attempt to sum up the thread turned the reality of what happened there, as I saw it, completely on its head. And now that will stand unanswered.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #5 - 12/04/18 at 15:57:33
Post Tools
A. It happened once, it could happen again.
B. I don't think it went well last time, I get the impression you might agree.
C. If your house burns down, do you just say, it's over move on? Or do you ask what you might have done differently? For next time (see A).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo