Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Chessbase 15 problems (Read 1800 times)
Qwerp
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Chessbase 15 problems
Reply #24 - 02/08/19 at 15:49:07
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 01/30/19 at 09:06:08:
I assume ChessBase 15 generates this when it quickly analyses games when you open them. However, is this a standard PGN code, can other chess programs read it?

It's formatted as a comment, so it will not interfere with the normal workings for software unfamiliar with it. I doubt anything is supporting actually interpreting it at this point though as it appears to be a new "embedded command" format.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #23 - 01/31/19 at 10:37:25
Post Tools
I've just installed CB 13 on my new computer, I do have CB 14 too, but never got around to using it, and it seems like this will also happen to CB 15.
A least now I have a version that works the way I expect it to and has normal title bars!
My favourite version  of ChessBase was actually 10, and then 12, I think, but you need a fairly recent version of ChessBase else the fantastic Online database search doesn't work.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #22 - 01/30/19 at 09:06:08
Post Tools
Looking at the last set of PGN files I received, at the beginning is a new tag followed by lots of numbers, like:
Code
Select All
{[%evp 0,96,30,30,22,1,30,2,2,-9,-3,-44,23,23,21,32,41,37,44,23,22,18,26,11,22,
-4,0,-1,8,7,7,14,9,5,16,8,38,16,22,19,25,54,19,19,22,22,22,20,20,20,24,-18,24,
-53,-53,-61,-61,-56,-23,-20,41,41,39,39,35,30,44,44,33,50,70,70,75,75,75,75,75,
56,60,59,62,56,68,56,50,48,48,40,46,60,49,30,48,47,47,59,46,56,57]} 

I assume ChessBase 15 generates this when it quickly analyses games when you open them. However, is this a standard PGN code, can other chess programs read it?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #21 - 01/29/19 at 21:30:59
Post Tools
I've upgraded to version 7, and then printed a game, but whereas most of the text was in my (preferred) FigurineCB TimeSP (as specified in my 'Options', 'Notation', 'Font') as usual, all the figurines were now in the CBArialLink font. I can't find why this should be, or how to turn it off. I mean, why would you want the figurines to be in an Arial font if the text was in a Times font, anyway? Roll Eyes
Does anyone else have this problem?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #20 - 01/23/19 at 10:29:02
Post Tools
Qwerp wrote on 01/22/19 at 22:07:47:
And because the windows forget their size, saving/storing layouts doesn't work in a useful way.

Yes, this is really annoying, all the database and game windows start out covering the whole screen and I have to adjust them, but this is forgotten the next time I open ChessBase 15 and I have to resize them again.

IP Logged

Qwerp
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 01/22/19 at 22:07:47
Post Tools
One strange problem I have with ChessBase 15 is that when you open a window (for example opening a DB or a game), it is in a strange state where it's missing the normal window border. When I try to move or resize it, I can't, but clicking on the title bar makes the the border suddenly appears and the window immediately resizes to the full screen size but stays in the same place - which is never what you'd want as it's now half-offscreen!. Makes using the program really a drag when moving between DB's or games.

And because the windows forget their size, saving/storing layouts doesn't work in a useful way.

Anyone else seen this or know a solution?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #18 - 01/21/19 at 16:33:20
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 01/20/19 at 11:09:35:
I 'spoke' too soon!

Actually, it works OK after restarting Windows, although the notations are difficult to see - probably a question of altering the font colours.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #17 - 01/20/19 at 11:09:35
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 01/20/19 at 10:28:38:
ChessBase 15 (and presumably older versions, too) was almost unusable - the games became invisible in the databases and also in the online search feature!

I 'spoke' too soon! After Windows returned from 'sleeping' my databases came back! Now the only thing I can't see are the folders in the main CB window. Well, and various other somewhat less important things like the Players Encyclopaedia.
Incidentally, totally off subject, I know, but the Forum looks really different in Edge when you have a dark high contrast scheme.
« Last Edit: 01/20/19 at 22:49:45 by GMTonyKosten »  
IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Chessbase 15 printing crashes program.
Reply #16 - 01/20/19 at 10:28:38
Post Tools
I just tried a 'High Contrast Black' theme on my portable computer, and whereas most programs worked well, and really had white text on a black background, ChessBase 15 (and presumably older versions, too) was almost unusable - the games became invisible in the databases and also in the online search feature!

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #15 - 12/18/18 at 21:34:25
Post Tools
Elementary, my dear Watson. (*) If I use the same button to copy, and then pasting into notepad gives a FEN, whereas pasting into wordpad gives me a diagram, that means I should be looking at the clipboard format.

I did look quickly for a way in CB14 to change the decorations, but didn't see anything in the menus. I passed on reverse-engineering their (binary) config files, because I don't think you would consider hacking to be an acceptable solution.

(*) Apocryphal, I know.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #14 - 12/18/18 at 16:46:40
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 12/18/18 at 02:37:33:
File | Options | Clipboard | RTF
uncheck next to "With Game Data"

Excellent, thanks, how did you manage to find that? If you could now find a way to alter those blue title bars ...

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #13 - 12/18/18 at 02:37:33
Post Tools
File | Options | Clipboard | RTF
uncheck next to "With Game Data"

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #12 - 12/17/18 at 21:57:48
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 12/17/18 at 16:43:19:
I'm curious why you hate Win10 so much.
The Start menu I can deal with. I still use the command line, and can remember DOS Shell, File Explorer, etc., etc. Just another interface to get used to.
  • Windows update is borked. Even when it "works" it is hellish to get through. But since I need the network, there is no choice about updating. There is, however, a choice about booting into Windows at all.
  • Vista on the old netbook was slow. Windows 10 on the new laptop, with ~6x faster hardware, is if possible even slower. Laptop+lubuntu > netbook+lubuntu > netbook+vista > laptop+win10. But Vista was EOL, so I wiped it. All that extra "stuff" Windows 10 is doing? Not anything I asked it to do. Partly it is the overhead of pokey managed code, and partly it is Microsoft stealing my metered internet, along with associated CPU cycles, for their own purposes.
  • Windows 10 does weird things with my legacy 32-bit executables. Sometimes out of the blue it quarantines them. I forget the exact message in the dialog. If update worked and the OS were faster, I could invest time figuring this out.

So, Linux (mostly).

proustiskeen wrote on 12/17/18 at 16:43:19:
it feels just the same to me for most things.
Look at the hardware it is running on! It should be better! The Linux distros are getting better. iOS is getting better. I don't use macOS, but probably it is getting better. From my point of view, the only positive thing Microsoft has done is drive the specs for a consumer-grade laptop to the point where any box store sale item is way more than good enough for Linux.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #11 - 12/17/18 at 16:43:19
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 12/17/18 at 15:51:11:
I won't be able to look at this until after work (+8 hrs). But in one of the File menu items I mentioned (Diagram List probably), there was a dialog box for the diagram with four tabs on the left; one of those was for the header and one was for the footer, each with a checkbox to turn it off. I imagine that is what you are looking for. The default in CB14 is header off footer on, maybe CB15 has changed that.

I used to like Windows 2000, then XP even more. Vista was a step in the wrong direction. Windows 7 (at work) is okay. I hate Windows 10 (on my laptop) so much that I have given up on ChessBase.

I'm curious why you hate Win10 so much. With two fixes - ClassicShell (now Open Shell) to get back the start menu, and using an old Win 7 Pro serial to upgrade to Win 10 Pro - it feels just the same to me for most things.

Yes, I know, I shouldn't have to use kludge-y fixes to get back basic operability like a functional start menu and an ability to postpone / 'control' (kind of) updates, but it is what it is.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #10 - 12/17/18 at 15:51:11
Post Tools
I won't be able to look at this until after work (+8 hrs). But in one of the File menu items I mentioned (Diagram List probably), there was a dialog box for the diagram with four tabs on the left; one of those was for the header and one was for the footer, each with a checkbox to turn it off. I imagine that is what you are looking for. The default in CB14 is header off footer on, maybe CB15 has changed that.

I used to like Windows 2000, then XP even more. Vista was a step in the wrong direction. Windows 7 (at work) is okay. I hate Windows 10 (on my laptop) so much that I have given up on ChessBase.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #9 - 12/17/18 at 12:27:36
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 12/16/18 at 19:21:39:
In CB14: Home | Clipboard | "Copy current position to clipboard (position + text)"

Yes, that's right, but then I don't want the FEN, I want the actual diagram (In the appropriate Fritz font). Before when I pasted this into OpenOffice Writer or Word I got the diagram, but now I get all sorts of other info that I don't want as well.
It would also be nice to be able to use the system colours for the toolbars rather than that horrible blue design that came with CB14.
I used to like CB9, and then CB10 ... !

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #8 - 12/16/18 at 19:21:39
Post Tools
Not 100% sure what you are looking to do. Maybe this?
  • In CB14: Home | Clipboard | "Copy current position to clipboard (position + text)"
  • In notepad: Paste gives just the FEN

The File menu (Save, Print, Diagram List) never did anything useful for my purposes. I work in PGN, FEN/EPD, and, when I want a PDF, in RTF.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #7 - 12/16/18 at 08:34:17
Post Tools
I just tried to copy a diagram position to a text file and now I didn't just get the diagram but lots of extraneous info as well, players; names, result, etc. Does anyone know how to get rid of this and just obtain the diagram position? Huh

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/13/18 at 20:58:38
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 12/13/18 at 10:09:50:
CB15 has been running fine on my computer ever since my previous post, and all my customisations and printing preferences have now stayed, but I have turned off all the new 'bells and whistles' as i am just using the program to get the ChessPublishing updates online at the moment, not to prepare openings or analyse games.

Found another bug. If you choose to use different colors for subvariations when you print games with analysis...Chessbase 15 prints them fine. But if you save the document and reopen the file the colors you used are no longer saved and you're forced to recolor the variations all over again.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 12/13/18 at 10:09:50
Post Tools
CB15 has been running fine on my computer ever since my previous post, and all my customisations and printing preferences have now stayed, but I have turned off all the new 'bells and whistles' as i am just using the program to get the ChessPublishing updates online at the moment, not to prepare openings or analyse games.

IP Logged

msiipola

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 12/12/18 at 12:31:26
Post Tools
Yes, all modern program is depended on other software. I wouldn't say CB is modern.

But I believe the CB crashes and misbehaviours are not caused by this. Only because of a flawed design and flawed code base, which is patched for every new version. The necessary redesign will be too expensive.

Of course I'm speculating. I have no insight in the CB development. But but my opinion is based on 40 years experience in the IT-development business and how old software normally is "maintained". 

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 12/11/18 at 14:12:20
Post Tools
msiipola wrote on 12/11/18 at 07:47:45:
A well designed program shall never crash.
Long ago I wrote a well designed program that crashed every time. The bug was in an external complex-arithmetic library. The called function did a push when it should have done a pop, so the next jump was to an address outside my program's memory space. Once the external bug was patched, my program ran perfectly.

Nowadays the situation is worse. Any moderately complicated program which uses dynamic memory and external binary dependencies is subject to crashing.

IP Logged

msiipola

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/11/18 at 07:47:45
Post Tools
"has only been one crash".

Is that good? No! A well designed program shall never crash. I have several such app's (windows).

These strange crashes and behaviour, has been a sign of Chessbase for years. As an programmer I suspect it's the same codebase used as in old versions, and some bugs are never fixed. Or requires to much work to fix.

Instead new bells and whistles has been added for every new version. But I suppose people rather pay for such, then bug fixes.

But CB has no serious challenger, so we will probably get many unexpected crashes in future new versions too.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 12/10/18 at 15:01:36
Post Tools
I've just installed CB15, and there has only been one crash so far! However, somewhat worse was that I changed all the options and customised the commands to suit my preferences yesterday, and today they have gone back to the defaults!! Hours of work lost! Angry
Has anyone else had this problem?

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Chessbase 15 problems
12/04/18 at 05:05:46
Post Tools
Just wanted to post my observations on Chessbase 15. I'm noticing the database is crashing when using the printing feature as it goes into endless loops when previewing documents before printing the games. The workaround is to open and print the games directly from Chessbase Fritz 16. Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: 01/20/19 at 22:48:45 by GMTonyKosten »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo