Latest Updates:
Normal Topic How to Study Chess Openings (Read 3505 times)
charlesgalofre

Re: How to Study Chess Openings
Reply #6 - 12/27/18 at 07:26:53
Post Tools
pretty cool. I have your website open and plan to read the article soon. I hope it helps me out. I will keep you posted here on my thoughts on that later.

Thanks again.

AIM  
IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #5 - 12/27/18 at 07:24:53
Post Tools
charlesgalofre wrote on 12/27/18 at 06:36:29:
you are my hero. are you referring to the post on your blog? chess-brabo??

Yes. I could've given the direct link but then some people are becoming annoyed that I advertise my blog too often. However on this site I must admit that I get rarely such remarks.
Also the old chesspub-post shows that many things have been already covered here. It is sometimes a bit tricky but in most cases it is possible to find something about a topic by using the right filter.

Finally I also want to inform you that my blog has a twin which uses the Dutch language while covering the same topics and more. This can be interesting as older English articles are using a not well supported Flash interface while the Dutch articles are using the modern chess.com interface.

IP Logged

charlesgalofre

Reply #4 - 12/27/18 at 06:36:29
Post Tools
you are my hero. are you referring to the post on your blog? chess-brabo??

AIM  
IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #3 - 12/27/18 at 06:32:50
Post Tools
I discussed this already on chesspub see http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1497852844/1#1

IP Logged

charlesgalofre

Reply #2 - 12/27/18 at 03:06:33
Post Tools
that's an interesting note. I was not aware about the NIC yearbooks and the 80's.

AIM  
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 12/27/18 at 03:01:46
Post Tools
Historical note:  Informants started in the '60s, Encyclopedias (ECO) in the '70s.  (Then NIC Yearbooks in the '80s.)

IP Logged

charlesgalofre

How to Study Chess Openings
12/27/18 at 01:39:39
Post Tools
Hi guys so basically, I am 2300.
I wanted to ask you guys, how do you study chess openings?
In other words, do you do the work on your own with software that is commercially available?
This is what I know until today:
I use to ask, “how did the gm’s of the past do it??” I figured, it was the sahovski chess encyclopedias. Otherwise, where did this information come from? Basically, the encyclopedias, gave birth to the informants.
How about today? Today, you can use a program such as chess position trainer, and upload a pgn, and memorize everything you would like to memorize for your repertoire.
You can either, come up with this information, or purchase book, like the qualitychess series, turn those into pgn’s and upload to chess position trainer  http://www.chesspositiontrainer.com/index.php/en/
I guess some people use chessbase to do their opening work. I found it very useful to use the Rybka Aquarium software with the 2004 Opening Book which is no longer for sell at chessok.com.
It has the “CAP” analysis, which is awesome. You see the assessment of moves in centi pawns on a tree/opening book.
I really like the Rybka Aquarium and its CAP analysis with the 2004 opening book.
What are your thoughts on this process? Has anyone had success?
Thanks.
Charles.

AIM  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo