Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) French book by Everyman to publish February (Read 4209 times)
Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Re: French book by Everyman to publish February
Reply #35 - 03/21/19 at 22:19:40
Post Tools
Looks like the book is now in stock in De Beste Zet as of nighttime 21th march:

http://www.debestezet.nl/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4145

Probably was a joint release with the other Thinkers Publishing title Coaching the Chess Stars.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #34 - 03/21/19 at 08:24:52
Post Tools
The computer is useless in these types of position. Same thing I try with the closed 6...Da5 Winawer lines or the main lines of 7...0-0. The positions where both Black and White are walled in from pawn chains it often gives White huge advantage even more than +1,00 for no reason.

Which is why it is particularly good line to play against attacking players or those with take the engine reading as Bibel  Cheesy

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #33 - 03/21/19 at 08:11:47
Post Tools
I have looked at the book an entered a mainline in Winaver in my computer. Either the engines gravly missunderstands the position or else the b6 system is much better for white. But I think it is funny to undevelop all peices.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #32 - 03/17/19 at 18:46:04
Post Tools
Given that Marin also has a 4...b6 databank, I disagree and think strong players would benefit. After all, Lenderman's game is in the Winawer section of this month's French update  Cheesy

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #31 - 03/17/19 at 08:49:05
Post Tools
The ...b6 Winawer is an interesting recommendation. I wouldn't trust it objectively (White should be +=), but for amateur players it seems an interesting way to get a strategic battle and reach positions where engines are not as helpful, at least based on my study of Marin's work.

Echoing some of the other sentiments, I have found the few Lakdawala opening books I bought quite clearly written, with some interesting insights. But it's true that some of the books are aimed at a lower-rated audience, where the most popular moves at GM level may well be unlikely to occur in a club game.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #30 - 03/12/19 at 22:25:39
Post Tools
Personally I think that Black is fine in the 4...b6 line if he always avoids those lines where White try a Ab5+ and then can build an Adwance-like centre by using the Ruy López manoeuvre by bringing bishop back to a4, playing c3 and putting bishop back on c2.

In this month update in the Lenderman game, 5. a3 Af8 6. Ad3 Ad7 in the notes it given += at the end. But why not take on d4 before White can bolster centre with c3 ¿ I remember Marin recommended 6...Ad7 here in his databank.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #29 - 03/12/19 at 18:31:45
Post Tools
Note that the new French update addresses the 4...b6 Winawer.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #28 - 02/28/19 at 19:58:33
Post Tools
Already from my replies #16 and #19 should be clear that have mixed feelings about this book.
Certainly it’s Lakdawala‘s usual entertaining and encouraging style explaining openings. He obviously has experience in the Winawer with b6/Qd7, as he gives  many of his own games (rapid & tournament). Good explanations of what black should play for, especially if white chooses noncritical lines. But the coverage of critical lines cannot satisfy: imo too thin and not deep enough!? Even not for ~1800 level!?

In addition to my concerns in reply #16 I noticed another hole?!
1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Bc3 Lb4 4.e5 Qd7 5.a3 Bxc3+ 6.bxc3 b6 7.Qg4 f5 8.Qg3 Ba6 9.Bxa6 Nxa6 10.Ne2 Lakdawala reaches this also after 4...b6 and ...Qd7 later. He doesn’t recommend a special move order and also analyzes ...Bb4-f8 after both 4...Qd7 and 4...b6, but according to the Index of variations the position after 10.Ne2 is his main line within his repertoire. Though it is covered in only 1 of 18 main games on this system!? Well, now (page 107) he calls 10...Kf7 and 10...Nb8 11.Nf4 Kf7 „virtually interchangeable“.
In CBM 152 (2013) GM Kritz gives a white repertoire against this line and has 10...Nb8? 11.c4! dxc4 12.d5!! with a strong white attack, based on Grishuk-Dizdar Mainz 2006 (1:0, 27). A later game was won by black, then another by white, finally most black players seem to have shifted away from 10...Nb8?! My Engines strongly prefers White ( +1,2 +/-), maybe they err in these positions. I don’t know [anyone here?] if Grishuk‘s 11.c4 can be neutralized, but for sure black should know about the existence of this move ...

Nevertheless Lakdawala‘s book may be useful for someone intending to play this Petrosian Winawer. It’s just that he shouldn’t rely solely on this source but use it only as introduction!?
Anyway, from me not more than 2-3 stars out of 5.

Huh tracke

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 02/27/19 at 20:31:27
Post Tools
Does anyone have this book and if so what do you think of it?

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #26 - 02/13/19 at 23:33:55
Post Tools
Unless I missing something, I do not see Shaw's book in the bibliographie.

Antiç and Maksimoviç book The Modern French is there though.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 02/13/19 at 23:03:11
Post Tools
I've also played the Petroff in numerous ICCF games (although I only tend to play it against players rated around 2400+) and have found his book very helpful. However, recent books seemed to have been churned out rather rapidly and I think that may be coming at a cost.

From earlier comments on this site I'm getting the feeling his new book on the French has avoided analysing some of the more testing white variations?

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #24 - 02/13/19 at 20:56:02
Post Tools
I have used hes Petroff book in 5 correspondence chess thematical Petroff events att ICCF (4 normal + 1 final) and found no obious misses in critical lines. However I lost a Caro Kann Panov attack game in an other thematical event where I followed hes Caro Kann book where he missed a simple improvment over some over the boar game where both had 2600+  ,and I forgot to double check move ,where white won by force. 

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #23 - 02/13/19 at 17:37:29
Post Tools
I thought that his Slav book was good.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #22 - 02/13/19 at 08:25:34
Post Tools
Depends on what you expect. I like his book on the Veresov - a not so serious book on a not so serious opening.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Sauron

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #21 - 02/13/19 at 08:07:33
Post Tools
Quote:
IMO Berg2015 is the most important source about the Exchange variation from Black‘s perspective and the mentioned line (why 9...f6 and not 9...0-0-0) is the core of Berg‘s coverage. The book is well known and 4 years old, so Lakdawala or the editors could have checked!?

Has Lakdawala done a single good opening book?

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo