Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Reti Repertoire based of “The Modern Reti” (Read 5336 times)
Straggler

Re: Reti Repertoire based of “The Modern Reti”
Reply #7 - 10/24/21 at 06:36:35
Post Tools
Referring to the position after his recommended move order 1.Nf3 d5 2.c4 e6 3.g3 Nf6 4.Bg2 Be7 5.0-0 0-0, Delchev writes:

"I had a very difficult choice to make between the Catalan with 6.d4 and the Réti-style 6.b3... In my opinion, Black is very close to equality in the Catalan, with accurate play. The focus in this opening is on the endgame so one needs good technique and subtle positional understanding.

Eventually, I chose to advocate 6.b3. It is more flexible and allows different move orders. At the same time, the strategic ideas are clear and easy to play even by beginners."

I suspect that something has been lost in translation here, and when he says "beginners" he just means relatively weak players. Even so, he clearly means to suggest that the Réti is not just less theoretical than the Catalan but also easier to understand. Is this view widely accepted? I would have thought that if anything the Catalan was easier to understand, since the pawn on d4 gives White greater influence in the centre. But perhaps that's because I'm only a beginner.
« Last Edit: 10/24/21 at 07:51:11 by Straggler »  

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #6 - 01/31/19 at 08:23:55
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 01/30/19 at 11:25:38:
CanadianClub wrote on 01/30/19 at 08:33:24:
... a line I don't like too much either to play against is the not-so-silly 1.Nf3 Nc6

Having the choice between a very decent version of the London with 2.d4 d5 3.Bf4 and a very likely transposition to the English with 2.c4 sounds pleasant to me.

Of course nothing really specially bad, only that I am not totally convinced by the c4 e5 English with an early Nf3. The other line (the London-like) I suppose it would be pleasant, of course.

By the way, lots of online blitz with this line (1.Nf3 Nc6) but zero OTB tournament games  Wink

Salut,

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 01/30/19 at 11:25:38
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 01/30/19 at 08:33:24:
... a line I don't like too much either to play against is the not-so-silly 1.Nf3 Nc6

Having the choice between a very decent version of the London with 2.d4 d5 3.Bf4 and a very likely transposition to the English with 2.c4 sounds pleasant to me.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #4 - 01/30/19 at 08:33:24
Post Tools
I mainly use three sources for my Reti repertoire right now:

1) The Modern Reti by Demuth (advance variation 2...d4, slav setups, minor lines)
2) Cummings English (basically to fight against d5-e6 setups by Black, e6 without c5 and Symmetrical English)
3) some other mainline stuff to fight against KID and Grunfeld (I enter in d4-c4-Nc3-Nf3 lines because I've always been a 1.d4 guy and I have concretes weapons against them that I like)

Delchev' book and Ramirez DVD on the Reti were my inspiration to play the Reti and I would be OK using it indeed. The main problem, of course is the KID. There are lots of anti-grunfeld that I like, but KID is a pain in the ass if you don't play d4.

I understand that you don't like to play Closed Sicilian reversed setups. The same myself. As black is OK (playing the closed sicilian) but with White... I think Black's play is too easy.

Salut,

PD: Ah, and a line I don't like too much either to play against is the not-so-silly 1.Nf3 Nc6!?, aiming to enter in 2.d4 d5 but with Nf3 already played by White. I would like to play c4 and Nc3 first... but it's the magic of the transpositional power of 1.Nf3. You have to know a lot of setups, structures and ways-of-play... knowing when to enter d4 mainlines and when not.

IP Logged

iiPlasma
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/30/19 at 00:02:48
Post Tools
Yes, I'm referring to the one by Delchev. The Modernized Reti seems like an absolute monster to try and get through but if it's worth it, I'm willing to do that Smiley Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the book!

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/29/19 at 16:50:22
Post Tools
iiPlasma  I'm guess you are referring to Delchev's book on the Reti....great book but a little dated now...

The most recent Reti book is Demuth's the Modernized Reti (Extended second edition) published December 2018. It has some 440 pages and covers all aspects of playing 1 Nf3 followed by c4. I have found it to be an excellent work.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 01/29/19 at 15:48:01
Post Tools
You probably will find IM Cummings' book on the English useful. While he obviously begins with 1.c4 you'll find many variation that can be arrived at via 1.Nf3 as well (assuming you'll want to play c2-c4 at some stage). Note that Cummings doesn't present variations with a white kingside fianchetto.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

iiPlasma
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reti Repertoire based of “The Modern Reti”
01/29/19 at 11:45:00
Post Tools
Hey! I’ve been really enjoying The Modern Reti: An Anti-Slav Repertoire and I’m wondering what books would help me play a proper Reti repertoire since the book doesn’t hit on things like the KID and other important responses from Black. Thanks!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo