Latest Updates:
Normal Topic McCutcheon (Read 470 times)
Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Re: McCutcheon
Reply #3 - 01/31/19 at 23:09:52
Post Tools
Krudos wrote on 01/29/19 at 21:56:30:
I am thinking about playing the McCutcheon but it does not seem to be popular at elite level

As others said above, 4. Ag5 is not as popular as 4. e5. The McCutcheon is a sound reply, feistier than 4...Ae7 which is very solid. At elite level they usually do battle on the Steinitz 4. e5 Cfd7 5. f4 c5 6. Cf3 Cc6 7. Ae3 where Black has many choices. This is what you see a lot at 2700+ level, but not because McCutcheon is bad. Is because Black does not get as many chance to play against 4. Ag5 in the first place.

McCutcheon essentially is reminiscent of Winawer, and 6. Ad2 a Winawer where both sides lack dark squared bitchops  Cheesy

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #2 - 01/31/19 at 12:43:55
Post Tools
Kasimdzhaov brought out a good DVD on it for Chessbase in 2017 and I think Andrew Martin also did one for some another company.

GM Sergey Volkov is probably its most faithful supporter.

To my knowledge and in my experience the McCutcheon is fully playable - but not very easy to play, for either colour. Many of the positions reached are messy, unbalanced and unique to the McCutcheon and they require a lot of concrete knowledge - by both sides.

Since after 4 Bg5 White also has to be ready to face 4...Be7 and 4...dxe4, i.e. a wide variety of position types, it is hardly surprising that many Whites avoid the whole issue and base their repertoire on 4 e5. I think this probably accounts for the fairly low number of high-level games featuring the McCutcheon in recent years.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/30/19 at 00:59:58
Post Tools
Krudos wrote on 01/29/19 at 21:56:30:
I am thinking about playing the McCutcheon but it does not seem to be popular at elite level: can someone advise what the critical lines are now please?

Probably much the same as they always were, except that in the sequence 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Bb4 5. e5 h6, it's possible to play both 6. Be3 and 6. Bc1 instead of 6. Bd2. So there are different positions to be aware of. It's also quite possible for White to be boring and play 5. exd5.

As you suggest, there's a shortage of games from elite players with either colour.

I suppose there should be improvements on the Fischer-Rossolimo game although engines think it's about equal.

IP Logged

Krudos
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

McCutcheon
01/29/19 at 21:56:30
Post Tools
I am thinking about playing the McCutcheon but it does not seem to be popular at elite level: can someone advise what the critical lines are now please?

Krudos

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo