Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Classical Slav Mainline: 7...Dc7 or 7...Cb6 ¿ (Read 298 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Classical Slav Mainline: 7...Dc7 or 7...Cb6 ¿
Reply #2 - 02/04/19 at 18:13:50
Post Tools
7...Nb6 (and many other lines of the Slav) has a weird, slow-motion kind of feel to me.  It's hard to explain, but many Slav lines feel somehow laborious or slow, even when individual moves can be fairly critical.  7...Qc7 feels a little more like "regular chess" to me. 

So choose whichever you prefer, or mix and match for your opponent.  I personally prefer 7...Nb6, but don't play the Slav anymore.

IP Logged

whatteaux

Re: Classical Slav Mainline: 7...Dc7 or 7...Cb6 ¿
Reply #1 - 02/04/19 at 07:42:01
Post Tools
FWIW, Flear (in Starting Out: Slav and Semi-Slav) recommends 7...Qc7 ("Preparing to hit back in the centre with e7-e5") so one could call that a tie-breaker.

On the other hand, Lakdawala (in The Slav Move by Move) goes for 7...Nb6 ("Black wants trades since he is cramped and chases White's knight with tempo.  7...Qc7 and 7...e6 are also complex lines...").

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Classical Slav Mainline: 7...Dc7 or 7...Cb6 ¿
02/04/19 at 02:28:29
Post Tools
I have been debating for years which one to play here:

I only have two Slav repertoire books, one by Wigus and the other by Awrukh. Awrukh recommends 7...Dc7 and Wigus 7...Cb6. I still have no clear explanation on which is better. My guess is that 7...Dc7 is for more tactical players, but then why would Black play the solid Classical Slav to enter Botwinnik Semi Slav style lunacy.

Which would you play if facing 2300+ playing the Classical Slav as Black ¿

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo