Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Opening books that you would like to see published (Read 822 times)
Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Re: Opening books that you would like to see published
Reply #20 - yesterday at 22:51:58
Post Tools
Still want repertoire book for Black on French with Tarrasch 3...c5 4 exd5 exd5 or 3...a6, and Winawer with 7. Dg4 0-0 8. Ad3 Cbc6, covering all of 13...Ad7, 13...Df7 and 13...b5 with alternative  11...Cce7 for good measure  Cheesy

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #19 - yesterday at 20:43:42
Post Tools
There are some areas of opening theory where I would like to have master level analysis, but I‘m not sure if I wish books to be published about: they also serve all my potential opponents...
Nevertheless, there’s certainly room for a new high level monography on the Petroff. And also for the QGA (I don‘t know if Semkov is thinking of or working on a fourth edition. And please more books on 1Nf3. There have been a few but there is much more to be covered!

Recently there were some books on the black side on QGD (with that one of Davies2017 maybe underrated imo), but I‘m still waiting for good coverage of the QGD Lasker (with  13...b6). This is imo a very important part of chess education, instructive for amateurs and a useful backbone for masters. Such a book could/should have chapters about typical middlegames/ endgames.

I don’t know if „The full English Opening“ by CHansen2018 sold well. But I liked that book very much and would appreciate other „full“ overview of that kind, for example for the French, the Nimzo-Indian or the Najdorf Sicilian (incl. Scheveningen lines) ... Just a complete overview with many game fragments covering (nearly) all variations on ~2000 level ?!

Roll Eyes tracke

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #18 - 02/14/19 at 22:45:09
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/14/19 at 19:55:57:
Black doesn't need to thanks to The Killer Sicilian I.

TonyRo wrote on 02/14/19 at 21:10:30:
Aha, I see what you're getting at now. I saw your move order, but didn't connect it with using the Kalash/Dragon together!

Writing the intro of the Killer Sicilian II will be easy: simply rip off yourself.

The bane of all Kalashnikov players is 3.Nc3. White delays 3.d4 in favour of this flexible move to confuse Black or to negate certain options, the Kalashnikov being the one we care about. Fortunately Black is not reduced to the ugly looking 3...e5 or 3...Nd4  Cheesy (for those who own the book: page 268).

Then point out that White can't play the Maroczy anymore and that the Anti-Sicilians 4.g3 and 4.Bb5 smoothly transpose to your recommendations in the Killier Sicilian I and voila. Now only the rest .....

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #17 - 02/14/19 at 22:22:39
Post Tools
I want another book by Lokander. Doesn't really matter on what, I'll play it. Maybe White 1.d4, to have a more advanced but still manageable followup to Cox' excellent Starting Out book.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #16 - 02/14/19 at 21:10:30
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/14/19 at 19:55:57:

Aha, I see what you're getting at now. I saw your move order, but didn't connect it with using the Kalash/Dragon together!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #15 - 02/14/19 at 20:36:53
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 02/14/19 at 19:44:09:
Also the Cambridge Springs needs an update IMHO. 

A thought I've had is that someone could do a book on "the 4...Nbd7 complex" (a term used by NIC, though I'm not sure how they define it).  It could include e.g. the Cambridge Springs, the Manhattan (Westphalian), 4. Nf3 Nbd7 5. Bf4 dc/Bb4 and various lines of the Exchange (including the "Hybrid Exchange" which appeared recently in Chess Publishing -- 4. Nf3 Nbd7 5. cd ed 6. Bg5 c6 7.e3 h6 8.Bh4 g5 9.Bg3 Nh5).

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #14 - 02/14/19 at 19:55:57
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/14/19 at 13:12:00:
MNb wrote on 02/13/19 at 14:59:53:
I even have a suggestion for the title: The Killer Siclian II !

But could I ever call it that in good conscience if I allow the Bind?   Wink Grin

Admit it, 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 e5 isn't exactly killer either. So the Accelerated Dragon is an excellent complement for those who are not afraid of lots of work. Look again at the move order I gave.  Wink  Kiss

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 02/14/19 at 19:44:09
Post Tools
I'd like a repertoire book on the ...exf6 Caro-Kann. Also the Cambridge Springs needs an update IMHO.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #12 - 02/14/19 at 18:42:24
Post Tools
You could cover all the Accelerated Dragon bases with "A Sadomasochistic Sicilian Repertoire for Black"

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #11 - 02/14/19 at 13:12:00
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/13/19 at 14:59:53:

But could I ever call it that in good conscience if I allow the Bind?   Wink Grin

IP Logged

sim
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 02/13/19 at 19:46:15
Post Tools
I've been wishing for something like "Najdorf: the quieter tries for white", a book with honest analysis of 6.Be2; 6.Be3 e5 7.Nf3; 6.g3; 6.a4 … and maybe the Prins variation, 4.Qxd4, the Carlsen variation … as well.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 02/13/19 at 14:59:53
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/12/19 at 19:59:47:
I'd like to see more books in the format of the old Simon Williams book on the Dutch and The Dynamic English

Funny indeed - this reminds me that I still would like to see a book on the Accelerated Dragon (beginning with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 g6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Bg7) with all the advantaguous transpositions to the Dragon Proper, in the format of a certain book on the Kalashnikov written by a certain Tony Rotella .....

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/13/19 at 09:39:28
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/12/19 at 19:59:47:
I'd like to see more books in the format of the old Simon Williams book on the Dutch and The Dynamic English.

I agree wholeheartedly. Books which help you understand a structure are the most valuable, both in terms of practical improvement, and overall chess education.

For this reason, I enjoyed Marin's e4 e5 repertoire for similar reasons.

I suspect I would love Rowson's "Understanding the Grunfeld". But I can't find it at anything less than an extortionate price.

I want more non-repertoire books that focus on understanding structures. Books like Jansa's "Dynamics of Chess Strategy".

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #7 - 02/12/19 at 20:19:17
Post Tools
As I said somewhere before, sometimes people react to opening books as if they're buying a steak (by the pound, that is)--or cheating in online games, where more lines in the book mean they have to work on openings less, not more.

It must surely be harder to write the shorter good books--explanatory ones like Tony's Mastering the Nimzo-Indian or theoretical ones (like Sverre Johnsen's, I think, from this crop)--than the long just-ok ones.
« Last Edit: 02/13/19 at 14:28:42 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #6 - 02/12/19 at 19:59:47
Post Tools
I'd like to see more books in the format of the old Simon Williams book on the Dutch and The Dynamic English. Easy to actually digest and carry around with you, lots of good little insights from an expert, etc. I realize the irony here as I wrote a fairly large book, but in my opinion opening books/series are getting a little out of hand and it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way. There's room for both I suppose. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo