Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Opening books that you would like to see published (Read 6745 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Opening books that you would like to see published
Reply #14 - 02/14/19 at 19:55:57
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/14/19 at 13:12:00:
MNb wrote on 02/13/19 at 14:59:53:
I even have a suggestion for the title: The Killer Siclian II !

But could I ever call it that in good conscience if I allow the Bind?   Wink Grin

Black doesn't need to thanks to The Killer Sicilian I.
Admit it, 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 e5 isn't exactly killer either. So the Accelerated Dragon is an excellent complement for those who are not afraid of lots of work. Look again at the move order I gave.  Wink  Kiss

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 02/14/19 at 19:44:09
Post Tools
I'd like a repertoire book on the ...exf6 Caro-Kann. Also the Cambridge Springs needs an update IMHO.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #12 - 02/14/19 at 18:42:24
Post Tools
You could cover all the Accelerated Dragon bases with "A Sadomasochistic Sicilian Repertoire for Black"

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #11 - 02/14/19 at 13:12:00
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/13/19 at 14:59:53:

But could I ever call it that in good conscience if I allow the Bind?   Wink Grin

IP Logged

sim
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 02/13/19 at 19:46:15
Post Tools
I've been wishing for something like "Najdorf: the quieter tries for white", a book with honest analysis of 6.Be2; 6.Be3 e5 7.Nf3; 6.g3; 6.a4 … and maybe the Prins variation, 4.Qxd4, the Carlsen variation … as well.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 02/13/19 at 14:59:53
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/12/19 at 19:59:47:
I'd like to see more books in the format of the old Simon Williams book on the Dutch and The Dynamic English

Funny indeed - this reminds me that I still would like to see a book on the Accelerated Dragon (beginning with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 g6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Nxd4 Bg7) with all the advantaguous transpositions to the Dragon Proper, in the format of a certain book on the Kalashnikov written by a certain Tony Rotella .....

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/13/19 at 09:39:28
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/12/19 at 19:59:47:
I'd like to see more books in the format of the old Simon Williams book on the Dutch and The Dynamic English.

I agree wholeheartedly. Books which help you understand a structure are the most valuable, both in terms of practical improvement, and overall chess education.

For this reason, I enjoyed Marin's e4 e5 repertoire for similar reasons.

I suspect I would love Rowson's "Understanding the Grunfeld". But I can't find it at anything less than an extortionate price.

I want more non-repertoire books that focus on understanding structures. Books like Jansa's "Dynamics of Chess Strategy".

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #7 - 02/12/19 at 20:19:17
Post Tools
As I said somewhere before, sometimes people react to opening books as if they're buying a steak (by the pound, that is)--or cheating in online games, where more lines in the book mean they have to work on openings less, not more.

It must surely be harder to write the shorter good books--explanatory ones like Tony's Mastering the Nimzo-Indian or theoretical ones (like Sverre Johnsen's, I think, from this crop)--than the long just-ok ones.
« Last Edit: 02/13/19 at 14:28:42 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #6 - 02/12/19 at 19:59:47
Post Tools
I'd like to see more books in the format of the old Simon Williams book on the Dutch and The Dynamic English. Easy to actually digest and carry around with you, lots of good little insights from an expert, etc. I realize the irony here as I wrote a fairly large book, but in my opinion opening books/series are getting a little out of hand and it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way. There's room for both I suppose. Smiley

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #5 - 02/10/19 at 19:04:16
Post Tools
I'd like to see 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 c5 4.exd5 exd5 covered.

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #4 - 02/10/19 at 18:01:06
Post Tools
I think a proper Black repertoire in the Classical Sicilian (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 Nc6) is the biggest current gap in the market. This should cover not just the Rauzer (6.Bg5), which is well served so long as you like Kozul's interpretation of the position, but also the Sozin (6.Bc4) and the various alternatives (6.Be2, 6.Be3, 6.f3, 6.f4, 6.g3 ....). I know Black is supposed to be under some pressure theoretically in certain lines, but several 2600+ GMs play it and don't get beaten up.

While the author is about it, a decent reply to the Moscow or Rossolimo (depending on whether we play 2...d6 or 2...Nc6) would also be welcomed.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 02/10/19 at 14:17:32
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 02/10/19 at 11:09:44:
What are a few opening books that you would like to see published?

Unboring the French Exchange, written from Black's perspective for club players like me.

Also Play the Dutch Rubinstein Variation, written for both sides. Content: 1.d4 f5 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 and White will not play g2-g3,

grandpatzer wrote on 02/10/19 at 12:14:40:
Has the old 3...dxe4 ever proven as leading to a clear White advantage?

Yes, by GM Alexander Graf in his book on the BDG.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/10/19 at 12:14:40
Post Tools
Jonathan Tait wrote on 02/10/19 at 12:05:11:
As to the last of those, Wisnewski's "Play 1...Nc6" is pretty good – though note than after 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 he only gives 3...e6.

Has the old 3...dxe4 ever proven as leading to a clear White advantage?

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #1 - 02/10/19 at 12:05:11
Post Tools
As to the last of those, Wisnewski's "Play 1...Nc6" is pretty good – though note that after 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 he only gives 3...e6.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Opening books that you would like to see published
02/10/19 at 11:09:44
Post Tools
What are a few opening books that you would like to see published, for whatever reason (e.g. you play a particular opening or variation, and you'd love another book on that, or there isn't yet a  - good? - book on that particular line or defense)?

For example, among others I'd like to see a book on a few dangerous but clearly unsound gambits for blitz or bullet chess - i.e the Halloween Gambit and similar - and a book on strategies about how to beat the Hippopotamus opening or defense... I also think that a book on the Nimzowitsch Defense vs 1.e4, with emphasis on its old main line (1.e4 Nc6 2.d4 d5) is in some need. I remember a book by Myers in the 1980s, but it is really hard to find now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo