Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Opening books that you would like to see published (Read 14710 times)
RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Opening books that you would like to see published
Reply #29 - 05/01/19 at 16:31:40
Post Tools
I was wondering about a repertoire book from Rublevsky. I feel like a lot of authors have been referring to him a lot in their opening books. I dont know if that is because he may have a relatively narrow repertoire that they also follow (Gawain Jones springs to mind and Sielecki reminded me of this when he mentioned Rublevsky in his chapter on the Scotch 4 knights.)

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #28 - 03/20/19 at 11:50:06
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 03/20/19 at 10:55:00:
Alias wrote on 03/20/19 at 09:55:42:
I would like to see a guide to the Nimzo indian. Although many argue that this is a very good response to 1.d4, I've never seen a good overview of the opening from the black perspective. Reportoires seldom discuss the choices that has been made.

A good overview would discuss the general features of different lines and critical choices for white and black. Bologan's book on open games had discussions about how some lines are interrelated and also gave fast lane choices. That could fit this book as well.

A second volume could discuss related openings such as 404C5F4672475D721B146D454259404C44412D00, Bogo, and possibly QGD choices.

A player who uses the sicilian is mostly defined by which system he/she chooses vs the open sicilian but for nimzo players the choices vs 4.Qc2, 4.e3 (and 3.Nf3 and 3.g3) seems mostly just to be a matter of taste. Are they?  Smiley

What was wrong with the books by Ruiz, Emms, Kosten, Sielecki and Sokolov - did none of these cover it?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I discussed an overview which discussed the different lines and different choices. What are the positives about certain lines and what is critical. Most often, repertoire books just suggests lines without explaining the choices.

Choices could be to avoid or to go into complications, avoid very drawish lines, fit together because pawn structures are similar to other lines. Some lines are very topical and evalutation change constantly, while other lines more depends on the understanding of the positions. Some lines are letting white to play for two results.

The Nimzo has lots and lots of completely different pawn structures. Just covering that area could fill a book.

I've not read all the books you mentioned. I haven't seen anything close to what I suggested. I haven't seen the Kosten book, but I imagine it to be the closest one to my suggested book. The various books by Emms do not really discuss the reasons for the repertoire choices. The Sielecki one mostly go for dark square strategy to fit with the Bogo part. There were also some choices not to overlap with Emms. The Sokolov book could be good but it doesn't cover the full opening. Older e3 books didn't really discuss the lines.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 03/20/19 at 10:55:00
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 03/20/19 at 09:55:42:
I would like to see a guide to the Nimzo indian. Although many argue that this is a very good response to 1.d4, I've never seen a good overview of the opening from the black perspective. Reportoires seldom discuss the choices that has been made.

A good overview would discuss the general features of different lines and critical choices for white and black. Bologan's book on open games had discussions about how some lines are interrelated and also gave fast lane choices. That could fit this book as well.

A second volume could discuss related openings such as 765B5E56443702, Bogo, and possibly QGD choices.

A player who uses the sicilian is mostly defined by which system he/she chooses vs the open sicilian but for nimzo players the choices vs 4.Qc2, 4.e3 (and 3.Nf3 and 3.g3) seems mostly just to be a matter of taste. Are they?  Smiley

What was wrong with the books by Ruiz, Emms, Kosten, Sielecki and Sokolov - did none of these cover it?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #26 - 03/20/19 at 09:55:42
Post Tools

A second volume could discuss related openings such as QID, Bogo, and possibly QGD choices.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #25 - 03/20/19 at 06:44:52
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 03/19/19 at 17:39:31:
You can't because I, stubborn fool, relied on my seriously flawed memory once again.
I meant the BDG book by Christopher Scheerer. That one is easy to find.

In that case I don't think Scheerer gave a convincing line against 1.e4 Nc6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.d5 Ne5.  See the thread https://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1302133443/15
Of course if anyone should want to discuss the analytical specifics of those variations then it should probably be done in that thread.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #24 - 03/20/19 at 01:02:16
Post Tools
An updated one on the Kalashnikov please.
(TonyRo are you reading...?!)

At QC, Chessable, Everyman, wherever...

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #23 - 03/19/19 at 18:21:26
Post Tools
You were thinking of the other German chessplayer who changed his surname.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #22 - 03/19/19 at 17:39:31
Post Tools
You can't because I, stubborn fool, relied on my seriously flawed memory once again.
I meant the BDG book by Christopher Scheerer. That one is easy to find.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #21 - 03/19/19 at 16:41:03
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/10/19 at 14:17:32:
grandpatzer wrote on 02/10/19 at 11:09:44:
What are a few opening books that you would like to see published?

Unboring the French Exchange, written from Black's perspective for club players like me.

Also Play the Dutch Rubinstein Variation, written for both sides. Content: 1.d4 f5 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 and White will not play g2-g3,

grandpatzer wrote on 02/10/19 at 12:14:40:
Has the old 3...dxe4 ever proven as leading to a clear White advantage?

Yes, by GM Alexander Graf in his book on the BDG.

Any idea where one can get the book on the BDG by GM Graf?  I can't seem to find it.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #20 - 02/15/19 at 22:51:58
Post Tools
Still want repertoire book for Black on French with Tarrasch 3...c5 4 exd5 exd5 or 3...a6, and Winawer with 7. Dg4 0-0 8. Ad3 Cbc6, covering all of 13...Ad7, 13...Df7 and 13...b5 with alternative  11...Cce7 for good measure  Cheesy

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #19 - 02/15/19 at 20:43:42
Post Tools
There are some areas of opening theory where I would like to have master level analysis, but I‘m not sure if I wish books to be published about: they also serve all my potential opponents...
Nevertheless, there’s certainly room for a new high level monography on the Petroff. And also for the QGA (I don‘t know if Semkov is thinking of or working on a fourth edition. And please more books on 1Nf3. There have been a few but there is much more to be covered!

Recently there were some books on the black side on QGD (with that one of Davies2017 maybe underrated imo), but I‘m still waiting for good coverage of the QGD Lasker (with  13...b6). This is imo a very important part of chess education, instructive for amateurs and a useful backbone for masters. Such a book could/should have chapters about typical middlegames/ endgames.

I don’t know if „The full English Opening“ by CHansen2018 sold well. But I liked that book very much and would appreciate other „full“ overview of that kind, for example for the French, the Nimzo-Indian or the Najdorf Sicilian (incl. Scheveningen lines) ... Just a complete overview with many game fragments covering (nearly) all variations on ~2000 level ?!

Roll Eyes tracke

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #18 - 02/14/19 at 22:45:09
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/14/19 at 19:55:57:
Black doesn't need to thanks to The Killer Sicilian I.

TonyRo wrote on 02/14/19 at 21:10:30:
Aha, I see what you're getting at now. I saw your move order, but didn't connect it with using the Kalash/Dragon together!

Writing the intro of the Killer Sicilian II will be easy: simply rip off yourself.

The bane of all Kalashnikov players is 3.Nc3. White delays 3.d4 in favour of this flexible move to confuse Black or to negate certain options, the Kalashnikov being the one we care about. Fortunately Black is not reduced to the ugly looking 3...e5 or 3...Nd4  Cheesy (for those who own the book: page 268).

Then point out that White can't play the Maroczy anymore and that the Anti-Sicilians 4.g3 and 4.Bb5 smoothly transpose to your recommendations in the Killier Sicilian I and voila. Now only the rest .....

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #17 - 02/14/19 at 22:22:39
Post Tools
I want another book by Lokander. Doesn't really matter on what, I'll play it. Maybe White 1.d4, to have a more advanced but still manageable followup to Cox' excellent Starting Out book.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #16 - 02/14/19 at 21:10:30
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/14/19 at 19:55:57:
Black doesn't need to thanks to The Killer Sicilian I.

Aha, I see what you're getting at now. I saw your move order, but didn't connect it with using the Kalash/Dragon together!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #15 - 02/14/19 at 20:36:53
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 02/14/19 at 19:44:09:
Also the Cambridge Springs needs an update IMHO. 

A thought I've had is that someone could do a book on "the 4...Nbd7 complex" (a term used by NIC, though I'm not sure how they define it).  It could include e.g. the Cambridge Springs, the Manhattan (Westphalian), 4. Nf3 Nbd7 5. Bf4 dc/Bb4 and various lines of the Exchange (including the "Hybrid Exchange" which appeared recently in Chess Publishing -- 4. Nf3 Nbd7 5. cd ed 6. Bg5 c6 7.e3 h6 8.Bh4 g5 9.Bg3 Nh5).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo