Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Downloading a chess base trainer question (Read 237 times)
an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Re: Downloading a chess base trainer question
Reply #7 - 02/14/19 at 22:37:24
Post Tools
Ugh, that's going to take a while to download. Another angle I thought of is, if the server is on a different continent, you need to account for internet traffic in different timezones. So if I tried one of these downloads at 3:00 AM local time, when local internet traffic is at 1% of peak, that would be 9:00 AM in Germany when their internet traffic is at 60% of peak. A better choice might be 11:30 PM local time, when both numbers are at around 15%. (I'm getting these numbers from a graphic on the internet, so of course they are not accurate. But the idea is basically correct.)

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 02/14/19 at 21:48:00
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 02/13/19 at 21:38:02:
Mtal wrote on 02/13/19 at 18:06:51:
No you do not need a connection once you loaded it. All you need is a key to activate it. ...
Nice, thanks!

... I think I have a decent connection. I will try again later. I also noticed when I download something late at night it takes (longer) for some reason at times.

RoleyPoley wrote on 02/13/19 at 18:38:20:
That may be because other people near where you live (if you are downloading at home) are using the same internet provider/service to download things at that time?

Do you, Mtal, have net neutrality? Perhaps your ISP is favoring many someones who are paying to stream movies at that hour. But the simpler explanation is that someone in your own household is doing that.

https://qz.com/701016/the-internet-has-developed-its-own-prime-time-and-its-comi...

Edited:
It looks like 2:00-4:00 AM is still the best time to download 100MB files, just like it was back in the dial-up days for 1MB files.

Followup question: Just how big is one of these ChessBase trainer downloads?

A quick look at two of mine - A short one on the Scotch Gambit is about 700mb, a larger one on the Tromp is about 1000mb. I think some may be larger than that

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #5 - 02/13/19 at 21:38:02
Post Tools
No you do not need a connection once you loaded it. All you need is a key to activate it. ...
Nice, thanks!

... I think I have a decent connection. I will try again later. I also noticed when I download something late at night it takes (longer) for some reason at times.

RoleyPoley wrote on 02/13/19 at 18:38:20:
That may be because other people near where you live (if you are downloading at home) are using the same internet provider/service to download things at that time?

Do you, Mtal, have net neutrality? Perhaps your ISP is favoring many someones who are paying to stream movies at that hour. But the simpler explanation is that someone in your own household is doing that.

https://qz.com/701016/the-internet-has-developed-its-own-prime-time-and-its-comi...

Edited:
It looks like 2:00-4:00 AM is still the best time to download 100MB files, just like it was back in the dial-up days for 1MB files.

Followup question: Just how big is one of these ChessBase trainer downloads?

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 02/13/19 at 18:38:20
Post Tools
No you do not need a connection once you loaded it. All you need is a key to activate it. Thanks for the reply. I think I have a decent connection. I will try again later. I also noticed when I download something late at night it takes lo,her for some reason at times.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 02/13/19 at 18:06:51
Post Tools
No you do not need a connection once you loaded it. All you need is a key to activate it. Thanks for the reply. I think I have a decent connection. I will try again later. I also noticed when I download something late at night it takes lo,her for some reason at times.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #2 - 02/13/19 at 14:45:19
Post Tools
Those time estimates can fluctuate wildly. Not sure if it is based on a ping, or some query to the server, or current rate of packets received, or what. Waiting a few minutes of downloading time, I have seen them drop from 10s of hours down to 10s of minutes, then down to a few seconds, and then back up again. So it might be worthwhile to let the download proceed for some time and see what the estimate is then.

But yes, it is always better to have a fast connection. Free wifi in coffeeshops and the like is notorious for being snail slow. It is also handy to use a browser that makes it easy to resume an interrupted download. If I were to try a download like that using the fast wifi at work, which of course I never do because it would violate the terms of service, then the proxy would quit the download every 20 MB or so. So in that hypothetical scenario, I would find Firefox to be a good browser. You can google how to resume the failed download.

I'm curious about these downloaded ChessBase trainers? Do they also require an internet connection when you are using them? I imagine yes, but it would be nice if it were no.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 02/13/19 at 11:59:07
Post Tools
I would think that is down to your internet capability?

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Downloading a chess base trainer question
02/13/19 at 05:42:38
Post Tools
Hi all,

Just a quick question, probably a computer noob one. I am trying to download a chess base trainer I just got and it says the download is going to take 6 hours. Any reason why? Anything I can do?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo