Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Two new 1 d4 2 c4 Repertoires (Read 59688 times)
RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Two new 1 d4 2 c4 Repertoires
Reply #114 - 05/03/21 at 21:47:48
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 04/29/21 at 16:23:14:
Why are those posts not deleted?

Is Tony informed and the account of the bot closed?

Edith thanks Stigma.

Thanks Stigma, I checked some of his posts because I saw a huge number of them but didn't see any with a link. As his posts seemed relatively coherent I thought it was a genuine post -  I wasn't aware he was simply copying from other posts.

I'll start tidying them up now

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #113 - 04/29/21 at 16:23:14
Post Tools
Why are those posts not deleted?

Is Tony informed and the account of the bot closed?

Edith thanks Stigma.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #112 - 04/28/21 at 15:36:14
Post Tools
Haha, good eye there,  Stigma!

"the solitary data set source I mess with is ChessBase's" ... lmao

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #111 - 04/28/21 at 12:56:57
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 04/28/21 at 02:10:51:
It's a bot, obviously, posting 16 times in quick succession today. No doubt in order to spam us with irrelevant links. Mods?

I think you are right. Because of the restriction on posting links, there was a bunch without links, then a link to google, then stops. So, they/it will be back later with the real payload?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #110 - 04/28/21 at 02:10:51
Post Tools
I hadn't seen this trick before, coming here to plagiarize other people's posts!? See some of the evidence below. Maybe this kind of thing is actually the source of some of the weird language you see in spambots' writing?

It's a bot, obviously, posting 16 times in quick succession today. No doubt in order to spam us with irrelevant links. Mods?

Quote:
An astounding mix, right? At the point when I think about a normal Petrosian KID player, I picture somebody like ... Petrosian, or Cummings, whose English collection book is very differed yet most likely on the positional side by and large. While those other two lines are something for bold assailants prepared for sharp and non-standard positions.

Stigma wrote on 02/15/19 at 05:02:37:
A surprising combination, isn't it? When I think of a typical Petrosian KID player, I picture someone like ... Petrosian, or Cummings, whose English repertoire book is quite varied but probably on the positional side on average. While those other two lines are something for swashbuckling attackers ready for sharp and non-standard positions.

These next two are from the thread Correspondence Chess 2020 https://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1590335395 :

Quote:
Having recently been an OTB player I actually utilize opening books as of now The Sicilian Taimanov by Pavlidis and Demuth's Modernized Reti (to name a couple) and the solitary data set source I mess with is ChessBase's I don't check the ICCF base as I don't have the foggiest idea how to download everything (be it I do physically go through a portion of every rivals ongoing games to discover what they play before I start each ICCF competition).

MW wrote on 05/26/20 at 00:42:07:
Having previously been an OTB player I still use opening books currently  The Sicilian Taimanov by Pavlidis and Demuth's Modernized Reti (to name a couple) and the only database source I bother with is ChessBase's I don't even check the ICCF base as I don't know how to download it (all be it I do manually go through some of each opponents recent games to get a feel for what they play before I start each ICCF tournament).

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #109 - 12/02/20 at 02:35:13
Post Tools
Thanks a lot, LeeRoth.

I guess I have a few more cutting-edge sources for the Petrosian KID already, then. So I'm skipping the book for now. I may still get it at a later time for the 1.d4 d5, Grünfeld, Nimzo and Modern Benoni parts.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #108 - 11/30/20 at 18:35:43
Post Tools
@Stigma --

The Petrosian KID chapter features three games by Petrosian, one by Korchnoi, one by Mecking and two by Kramnik.  So, no, not a modern approach.

The Gruenfeld recommendation does indeed include 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Bf4 0-0 6.Rc1 dxc4 7.e4 a la Kramnik-Kasparov, Frankfurt (rpd) 1998.    

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #107 - 11/30/20 at 18:03:00
Post Tools
Jonathan Tait wrote on 10/30/19 at 20:20:04:
Cyrus is very hard working. He seems to be writing all the time. Yes, his style is... shall we say... quirky — which he attributes to his being autistic.

Does he really?  I haven't lived in San Diego for some years, but while I was there Cyrus and I were friends and I've been to his home a number of times.  He hosted great New Year's Eve parties and always seemed personable, social, and kind.  I wouldn't have thought of him as having autism.

Anyhow I realize that this is an old post and that I'm not really bringing anything very relevant into the conversation, I just noticed it now and it surprised me.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #106 - 11/30/20 at 17:42:55
Post Tools
I'm thinking of getting the Lakdawala book and mining it for backup lines for my 1.d4 repertoire (after checking them carefully, of course). But still I have a couple of questions about the coverage, especially of the KID and the Grünfeld:

semper_fidelis wrote on 02/16/19 at 18:54:22:
Not quite. If he follows e.g. Kramnik-Nakamura, 2014, the plan with Be3 and long castling leads to sharp positions quickly.

This was about the Petrosian KID and the sharp, modern interpretation of it, often with 0-0-0. Does Lakdawala in fact go for this, or is the chapter more typically positional?

Against the Grünfeld his setup is 4.Bf4 with 5.Nf3 (or vice versa). I thought 4.Bf4 with 5.e3 was more flexible, and it also scores a bit better in practice. So how does Lakdawala justify his choice? Does he go for the ambitious 5...0-0 6.Rc1 dxc4 7.e4, by any chance?

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #105 - 11/05/19 at 19:54:42
Post Tools
You're right!

By the way, his Play the London is one of the better Lakdawala books and one of the better London books for amateurs.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #104 - 11/01/19 at 09:56:45
Post Tools
VGA wrote on 10/31/19 at 23:09:10:
His "opening repertoire e4" is good but there is also "Keep it Simple e4" by Sielecki.

But the lines are so different. There aren't so many e4 repertoires out there with a thematic consistency of gaining space, which is what Lakdawala's is.

Quote:
I *think* his Caro Kann book is good but there are also Jovanka Houska's books. And so on and so forth... the Veresov book is one of his badly received ones.

But Houska is basing her lines on 4...Bf5 lines, whereas Lakdawala focuses on the Smyslov. Again, I think he brought something new to the table.

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #103 - 10/31/19 at 23:09:10
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 10/31/19 at 16:00:43:
No comments on the chess, but Lakdawala's frankly cringeworthy prose is the type of nonsense you'd only expect to see in self-published literature. Whatever about the author, do they not utilise editors at any of these publishing houses?!

I guess his books sell and he is on schedule and reliable. I don't get what the huge deal is, there are alternatives to most of his books.

His Petroff books are good but there is also the "vigorous" repertoire against e4. His "opening repertoire e4" is good but there is also "Keep it Simple e4" by Sielecki. His Qd6 Scandinavian book is good but there is also "The Safest Scandinavian" by Kotronias. I *think* his Caro Kann book is good but there are also Jovanka Houska's books. And so on and so forth... the Veresov book is one of his badly received ones.

One thing I would say is that I would only buy an opening book of Lakdawala, no game collection, no stategy book and no endgame book  Grin

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #102 - 10/31/19 at 19:15:35
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 10/30/19 at 22:34:33:
Ha! Yes, I guess a dilettante could grasp things very easily, at least Dunning & Kruger said so.

Grin
Never underestimate the power of the Dunning-Kruger!

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #101 - 10/31/19 at 16:00:43
Post Tools
No comments on the chess, but Lakdawala's frankly cringeworthy prose is the type of nonsense you'd only expect to see in self-published literature. Whatever about the author, do they not utilise editors at any of these publishing houses?!

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #100 - 10/31/19 at 07:31:55
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 10/30/19 at 22:17:52:
... might help him speed up the writing process.

Superficiality also helps. Example from the one and only Lakdawala book I own:

Krug-Tiemann, Dresden 2008.

Even Fritz 5 in a splitsecond finds 14.Nd6!
This is not an incident or accident. In one of his notes IM Lakdawala presents the game Krug-Bracker, Willingen 2006:

and recommends 15.a3, totally missing Nc5! while Fritz 5 again finds it immediately.
This kind of oversights is OK with me in a book on the Veresov. But there is no way I'm going to trust this author when writing about serious openings, as I wrote before.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo