Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Two new 1 d4 2 c4 Repertoires (Read 39145 times)
Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Re: Two new 1 d4 2 c4 Repertoires
Reply #94 - 10/30/19 at 20:33:07
Post Tools
Jonathan Tait wrote on 10/30/19 at 20:20:04:
Cyrus is very hard working. He seems to be writing all the time. Yes, his style is... shall we say... quirky — which he attributes to his being autistic.

I myself have Asperger's, but I find his style very hard to read. It is not straightforward to the point, but uses all sorts of literary devices. Instead of writing for example something like, "Black finds himself on a shaky bridge, which reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water", it would be easier to just write, "Black is worse in this position."

In any case, I bought the book at a bookstore. The lines are indeed very aggressive, which is unlike his previous books.

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #93 - 10/30/19 at 20:20:04
Post Tools
Cyrus is very hard working. He seems to be writing all the time. Yes, his style is... shall we say... quirky — which he attributes to his being autistic.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #92 - 10/30/19 at 18:33:53
Post Tools
I think that this was discussed few times, but his writing style using all sorts of hyperbole and metaphor is seriously annoying to me.

I personally prefer straight to the point, even better if the author writes more robotically.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #91 - 10/30/19 at 16:55:43
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 10/30/19 at 01:07:52:
A question for my fellow members: Do you trust Lakdawala to be thorough and thoughtful, given the volume of his output?

This is a totally fair question. My opinion is no. Forty-three books so far, and if anything his output is accelerating. I would be interested to follow his working method from start to finish. A lot of it must be purely mechanical.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #90 - 10/30/19 at 13:55:34
Post Tools
His books are decent, like a journalist's articles are decent. But as with journalism, there's always an angle or a hook. Don't expect scientific inquiry. A lot of chess writing starts from the other end. A player does a search for the truth to improve their own game, and when they are done they look around and think -- maybe there's a book here.

I don't like his prose, it's a distraction:
Quote:
I long ago abandoned the root of all evil, a craving for complications, but Tony claimed that my opening choices lacked arable land in which to be creative.

My first reaction -- wait, is a craving for complications the root of all evil? Then I realize that the most thought Lakdawala put into it was checking the grammar and spelling, so it's useless trying to extract any deeper meaning from it. He just churns this stuff out. It's possible to cut whole paragraphs from his books without losing any information.

Edited:
misspelled Lakdawala
« Last Edit: 10/30/19 at 16:57:47 by an ordinary chessplayer »  

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #89 - 10/30/19 at 12:29:19
Post Tools
From my own experience, book reviews and comments here, I understand that the quality of Lakdawala's book vary. His books aren't database dumps, though, he puts in some work in the explanations and is engaging. Also, some people are very demanding from chess books, if they find a line missing at a depth of 12 or an obscure move order problem, they disregard the whole work as unreliable.

I believe some of Lakdawala's books are very good for amateur/intermediate players, unless you don't like his prose.

So ... wait for reviews and opinions before buying. These two books are very different, for different audiences.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 10/30/19 at 10:31:34
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 10/30/19 at 01:07:52:
A question for my fellow members: Do you trust Lackdawala to be thorough and thoughtful, given the volume of his output? How can he put in the effort that an Avrukh or a Rowson put into their first repertoire books?  And if he can't put in that kind of effort, do you think it matters? This is not a rhetorical question; I have doubts which seem partly unfair and fall into a kind of twilight area.

It's not the speed at which he puts me off that makes me doubt his thoroughness, but rather the fact that the books I have seen do have gaps. He is undoubtedly much less thorough that each author you mention.

However, thoroughness is not why I have bought his books: his years of coaching come through, and he anticipates questions and lines which a typical club player might ask.

Most importantly: he covers lines that I'm interested in, often which I don't see covered elsewhere in much detail (see below).

Quote:
I have confidence that the lines meet basic professional standards, but I'm not sure how thoughtful or heartfelt the book can be. Also, Lackdawala is a positional player (though one that thinks it's a good idea to mock his own style with self-deprecating charges of cowardice, in terms I find a bit painful to read. Claim forthrightly your belief in what you are, and the sun will enjoy looking at you). How can he catch the spirit of this f3 (and even f4) stuff, even by playing it for a few months?

Lakdawala is a solid IM. He does play positional lines, but has a long career and also played sharp lines in it. I think the I-am-a-boring-positional-player quips are jokes to a certain extent.

In many of his books, they are about lines he has played in the past: e.g. the London, Slav, ...d6 book, Modern, Sveshnikov.

For example, in his Slav book, he covers 6.Ne5 6...Na6, which is off the beaten track, and which he put some time into for his own work.

In his Sveshnikov book, he covers 6...h6, which is again a line he has played in the past, and again shows some originality. There is often some thoughtful stuff in his books.

Quote:
Sielecki, on the other hand, like his compatriot Weteschnik, seems to me to be the kind of guy that will throw himself, quixotically, into doing a really great job, giving effort beyond what he could ever be expected to be compensated for, just because of who he is.

Yeah, Sielecki is a class act. I have watched his YouTube channel for many years, and loved the Nimzo book. In particular, the explanations of the Hübner were really first rate. I haven't read any other work of his.

But if I want to play the ...h6 Sveshnikov, isn't Lakdawala more or less my only source? What if I want a recent repertoire book on the Smyslov Caro Kann? Lakdawala was more or less the only option at that time.

Summary: there are gaps in the coverage. But he covers lines that I want to play that aren't receiving coverage elsewhere.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #87 - 10/30/19 at 01:07:52
Post Tools
A question for my fellow members: Do you trust Lackdawala to be thorough and thoughtful, given the volume of his output? How can he put in the effort that an Avrukh or a Rowson put into their first repertoire books?  And if he can't put in that kind of effort, do you think it matters? This is not a rhetorical question; I have doubts which seem partly unfair and fall into a kind of twilight area.

I have confidence that the lines meet basic professional standards, but I'm not sure how thoughtful or heartfelt the book can be. Also, Lackdawala is a positional player (though one that thinks it's a good idea to mock his own style with self-deprecating charges of cowardice, in terms I find a bit painful to read. Claim forthrightly your belief in what you are, and the sun will enjoy looking at you). How can he catch the spirit of this f3 (and even f4) stuff, even by playing it for a few months?

Sielecki, on the other hand, like his compatriot Weteschnik, seems to me to be the kind of guy that will throw himself, quixotically, into doing a really great job, giving effort beyond what he could ever be expected to be compensated for, just because of who he is.
« Last Edit: 10/30/19 at 02:21:51 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #86 - 10/30/19 at 00:45:45
Post Tools
Thanks, TNich and VGA.

TNich wrote on 10/28/19 at 23:40:12:
I have both books but haven't studied them in depth.
Lakdawala gives his repertoire in 10 games. I'm not a big fan of his writing style but the analysis looks decent. Probably more than enough to get your repertoire up and running.
Moskalenko gives 16 games. He also has a separate chapter on a typical knight sacrifice. I think he gives multiple ideas in many variations.

If I had to pick one it would be Moskalenko.

I'm not too surprised by that. I have some previous books by both authors and find them a bit variable. But Moskalenko actually plays these lines (and this style) after all.

I have Moska's old material on 4.f3 in Revolutionize Your Chess. Maybe I will just take that and Sopiko Guramishvili's recent Chess24 videos as a starting point for now. I'm really trying to take a break from 1.d4 to expand my horizons with some flank openings anyway.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #85 - 10/29/19 at 00:29:53
Post Tools
If you want coverage of specific variations that both books cover, obviously you will go with Moskalenko's book. Lakdawala's book's advantage is that it is a complete repertoire (unless something important is discovered missing)

IP Logged

TNich

Reply #84 - 10/28/19 at 23:40:12
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 10/28/19 at 20:14:26:
In particular, which of these books (Moskalenko or Lakdawala) is best for someone who wants to learn the 4.f3 (Kmoch?) Nimzo-Indian?

I have both books but haven't studied them in depth.
Lakdawala gives his repertoire in 10 games. I'm not a big fan of his writing style but the analysis looks decent. Probably more than enough to get your repertoire up and running.
Moskalenko gives 16 games. He also has a separate chapter on a typical knight sacrifice. I think he gives multiple ideas in many variations.

If I had to pick one it would be Moskalenko.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #83 - 10/28/19 at 20:14:26
Post Tools
Has anybody bought the Lakdawala book, and is it any good?

I'm interested in many of the lines he covers, especially in the Nimzo-Indian and all the 1.d4 d5 2.c4 stuff. But unsure if Lakdawala managed the task of changing his entire chess personality into sharp attacker and theory hound...

In particular, which of these books (Moskalenko or Lakdawala) is best for someone who wants to learn the 4.f3 (Kmoch?) Nimzo-Indian?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #82 - 10/28/19 at 18:30:14
Post Tools
Just took a look at Everyman's excerpt pdf from Lakdawala's book, there are some aggressive attacking plans in there, holy crap! Seems uncharacteristic of him.

He admits in the introduction that a lot of memorisation is needed for this sharp repertoire.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #81 - 10/27/19 at 19:56:06
Post Tools
A repertoire is a repertoire. It has to be complete. Only exception is when just common sense and general opening principles would suffice. I am not saying that it should provide a good line vs. 1.d4 g5, or 1.d4 h6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 f6 and so on. But if there is no  chapter on a major defense, in this case the Dutch (but there are other omissions, too, in the book) it should be titled properly.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #80 - 10/27/19 at 19:04:45
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 10/27/19 at 08:21:55:
Then why don't publishers title these books properly, for example: "A Compendium of original ideas for the 1.d4, 2.c4 Player", rather than advertising them as "repertoire books" in the first place. Of course the "repertoire" title sells, but intellectual honesty should go first. 

That title would provoke backlash against the unoriginality of the Exchange QGD; complainers would also point out since the book provides only one suggestion for each Black defense, it should have been titled a "Repertoire" rather than a "Compendium."  I think persons who are attracted to chess opening theory tend to overemphasize trivial details in real life too, as if a marketing blurb or book title needs the same move-order precision as the POisoned Pawn variation.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo