Latest Updates:
Normal Topic transposition to b3 line -strategy for black? (Read 1300 times)
maņico_feroz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: transposition to b3 line -strategy for black?
Reply #7 - 03/06/19 at 14:18:05
Post Tools
Thank you very much ... During the game, i considered g5+h5 as a way to put some pressure on white (obviously i didnt find the moment).

The queen doesn't look so good at c7. I agree.

Also, in this position below, if simply a6, What is white going to do? It is not eay to find natural places for his pieces (Be2 too passive, Bd3 then b5-c4 will come, d4 Qc7 looks fragile ...)

Nc6 makes Bb5 a natural move.

Yes, i also like the french for that very reason. The problem is that when it looks like you understand it, it's just way too soon to claim that Smiley

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #6 - 03/05/19 at 22:53:30
Post Tools
The moves in your original post are not the same as the moves in your reply #5. But anyway...

1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 5.b3 c5 6.Bb2 Nc6 7.Bb5

I don't like 7...Qc7 here. The bishop on b2 makes grabbing on e5 very risky. Thematic is 7...f6, for example 8.exf6 Nxf6 9.d4, but I don't know about this for black. White is getting a smooth development which could not be achieved from a 5.d4 move order. So possibly 7...g5!? is worth considering. Not to take on e5 (Bb2 again), but to embarrass the Nf3, and fight for d4.

The French is one of those openings where experience really counts. There is not just one plan for black, and sometimes the only correct plan in one position is totally incorrect in a slightly different position.

IP Logged

maņico_feroz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 03/05/19 at 11:38:15
Post Tools
I hope to post the pgn correctly. White play becomes very easy after my mistakes .... And is a pity taking into account that - at least in my opinion - black should be slightly better at the position in the diagram i've posted above (bishop pair, not weak points, the bishop on b2 is out of the game ...)

From black's view point, b6 instead of b5 looks a good decision. But not castling short looks a decisive mistake (the strategy becomes unconcluded). This is why i mentioned i have a "conceptual" error understing this somewhere deep in my head.... (i tend to be with the king in the center way too much in the french)

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #4 - 03/04/19 at 16:25:39
Post Tools
I assume that White played a move like 13.Re1 in that position, and then you played 13...Rc8 (which can't be bad, in my opinion).

My gut feeling is that without his light-squared bishop, White will not be able to mount a successful attack on your king.  Eventually, your own light-squared bishop will become very active on the long diagonal. 

I would castle and then maneuver for a while, perhaps play ...Nf8 to solidify your kingside and then work on taking over the queenside by putting rooks on c8 and b8 and playing for ...c5-c4, etc.  Much will depend on what White chooses to do, however.  If he neglects piece control of e5, a quick ...f7-f6 would be an option.

Maybe you can post the entire game as a playable PGN?  There is an "Insert PGN Game" button when you create a post.

IP Logged

maņico_feroz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 02/17/19 at 20:06:52
Post Tools
maņico_feroz wrote on 02/17/19 at 20:05:08:
Thanks, perhaps my conceptual mistake was thinking castling wouldn't be safe. From there, i stayed with my king in the center and not an specific plan on the queen side, which made whites attack way to strong.

After rc8 white plan was Re1 + Re3.

And also h4 (sorry, cannot edit my own message)

IP Logged

maņico_feroz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/17/19 at 20:05:08
Post Tools
Thanks, perhaps my conceptual mistake was thinking castling wouldn't be safe. From there, i stayed with my king in the center and not an specific plan on the queen side, which made whites attack way to strong.

After rc8 white plan was Re1 + Re3.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/17/19 at 16:55:20
Post Tools
Well, you don't say what White played before ...Rc8.  But I think Black is fine, and in the event of ...0-0 it's hard to see much danger to his king.

IP Logged

maņico_feroz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

transposition to b3 line -strategy for black?
02/17/19 at 14:46:43
Post Tools
Hi everybody,

I lost yesterday a game starting this way

1. e4 e6 2. Nf3 d5 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. e5 Nfd7
5. b3 c5 6. Bb2 Nc6 7. Bb5 Qc7 8. O-O a6
9. Bxc6 Qxc6 10. Ne2 Be7 11. d4 b6 12. Nf4 Bb7

At this position (this was a 1-hour game, so didn't have a lot of time to spend here), i decided to play Rc8, which left a very very uncomfortable position which i finally lost.

Perhaps the error is to play a6 (doesn't look neccessary but gets the bishop pair) and next b6 ... Not sure about the later, given it holds c5 ....

Didn't like 0-0 with so many white pieces there around.

Thus, how to play this? which one would be the plan for black?

There are just a few games similar to this one.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo