Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Tal-Larsen 1965 (Read 1618 times)
edgy

lacking the master touch

Re: Tal-Larsen 1965
Reply #6 - 04/29/19 at 15:33:47
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 04/29/19 at 11:25:05:
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 04/13/19 at 07:18:49:
The below are all the same book:

There's also
Bent Larsen's Best Games: Fighting Chess with the Great Dane
New in Chess 2014

I think that's also the same book, but with extra material as the description at Amazon suggests it contains 120 games, whilst the original multiply titled book  only had 50 to 60.

Looking at the table of contents in the sample pages on the NIC site (https://www.newinchess.com/media/wysiwyg/product_pdf/995.pdf) it seems it includes all the games from the original book (the first 51 games), and then 71 more from Palma 1969 to Alicante 1977, and also a couple of games from the 1950s against Fischer.

Caissa have mercy on a miserable patzer: http://altergoniff.blogspot.com
IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 04/29/19 at 11:25:05
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 04/13/19 at 07:18:49:

There's also
Bent Larsen's Best Games: Fighting Chess with the Great Dane
New in Chess 2014

I think that's also the same book, but with extra material as the description at Amazon suggests it contains 120 games, whilst the original multiply titled book  only had 50 to 60.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 04/28/19 at 10:26:49
Post Tools
Kylemeister:

Thanks, from what i was able to get from Google translator, it looks like what I would like to have.
I will try the help of a Danish colleague to be sure I am buying the right book Smiley

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 04/16/19 at 22:08:15
Post Tools
I'm reminded of a large Danish-language book published a few years ago:  LARSEN bind 1 1935-1965.

https://www.schachversand.de/de/larsen-bind-i-1935-1965.html
http://larsgrahn.blogspot.com/2014/01/schackfestivalen-i-wijk-aan-zee.html

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/19 at 20:52:30
Post Tools
Thanks

I will try to get these issues of Chess Life

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #1 - 04/13/19 at 07:18:49
Post Tools
  • 1970 G. Bell and Sons Larsen's Selected Games of Chess, 1948-69
  • 1970 David McKay Larsen's Selected Games of Chess, 1948-69
  • roughly simultaneously by various publishers in Danish, French, German that I know about, and probably other languages as well
  • 1992 B.T. Batsford Bent Larsen: Master of Counter-Attack: Larsen's Games of Chess, 1948-69
  • 2003 Hardinge Simpole Bent Larsen's Best Games of Chess
I used to have the Bell edition, and remember the Batsford version being advertised as a straight reprint. The Hardinge Simpole has 11 additional pages; if they hold true to form it is not more games but an article from some magazine or other, possibly as an expanded introduction.

I looked in my USA magazines but did not find any notes by Larsen. I did find:
  • game 1 Chess Life 1965.10 pg.216, notes by R. Byrne
  • game 5 Chess Life 1965.08 pg.170, notes by R.J. Fischer
  • game 6 Chess Life 1965.08 pg.170-171, notes by R.J. Fischer
  • game 10 Chess Review 1965.10 pg.296-297, notes by M. Euwe; and Chess Life 1965.11 pg.232-233, notes by R. Byrne
The notes by R.J. Fischer are cursory. If you know the background, he used to visit the editor's office and talk about the games, and these "notes" were transcribed into the magazine. Both games 5 and 6 end with "[c]1965 Robert J. Fischer". This seems a little strange to me -- in game 6, four of the 16 comments are directly attributed to Koblents, twice with quotation marks.

IP Logged

lg
God Member

Tal-Larsen 1965
04/12/19 at 22:59:42
Post Tools
Not sure this is the right place to ask about this and even if I am allowed to since my question is not defense-analysis related. I am interested in material on the old match between Tal and Larsen in 1965 and I wonder whether anyone of you can help.
This match has two Alekhine defence games, one where Tal does not make a knight sacrifice (a famous game because of the sacrifice that was not done) after thinking for 50 minutes and another where he does it a few moves later (and these two games makes me post this here).
The knight sacrifice is the well know sacrifice 6.Nxf7 after 4…dxe5 5.Nxe5 Nd7. By the way, the recent book by John Shaw is quite good and most likely shows that Black is busted.
Most of the (recent) material I see on this match is from Tal’s point of view (books written by him on his best games, etc) or based on biographies of Tal written by others (one interesting addition is the book Karolyi).
Most of the recent analysis discard the opening choices by Larsen as weird. However, it appears that at the time his “weird” choices caused quite a few problems and the match was much more even than the Tal’s oriented based books show.
Essentially, the game that appears more often is the 10th game, a knight Sicilian with a sacrifice on d5, the one that gave the match to Tal and is also a quite nice game.
My main question is whether there are some analysis on this match made by Larsen or from his point of view. Some books indicate that he has made comments on the games. For instance the book "Chess Catechism" by Larry Evans, where the knight sacrifice not done is analyzed from a psychological point of view. But the corresponding chapter also shows some comments by Larsen made at the time about his preparation on this variation. The book by Eales and Williams on the Alekhine defense has interesting analysis on these two Alekhine games (in one case, on lines that did not happen) but it seems that some of these variations are based on old analysis by Larsen. Are these taken from his books?
Also, the game that was really played (instead of the knight sacrifice) is very interesting (Larsen’s sequence of Queen moves) and although drawn, Larsen could have won it.
I have the book “Bent Larsen’s best games” (Hardinge) by Larsen and he is very short on this match.
Two books that mention this match from Larsen’s “side” is the book the Chess Secrets: Great Chess Romantics by Craig Pritchett where the author states that Larsen come to the match really prepared with new lines, analyses the first game that Larsen won (which by the way is a great game) and gives the opinion that this was a very close match (it would have been interested to follow it at the time). Another book is the recent Bent Larsen's Best Games: Fighting Chess with the Great Dane New in Chess) which appears to be a longer version of the previous Hardinge book and where there are 4 games in the Introduction analyzed by other players. Game 1 also appears analyzed by Peter Heine Nielsen and with a lot of praise to Larsen.
Tal’s book on his best games and Karolyi’s, analyze the second game (as well as the 10th).
Tal’s book also analyses the 6th one (the other Alekhine where Tal also sacrifices a Knight – and yes, this game is really crazy).
Thus, if any of you know any material on this match, please let me know, even on the other games that are not Alekhine’s defence.

Finally, one other reason for posting this here is that when seeing the comments in Amazon on one of Larsen’s book, I recognized  I the name of one of the usual contributors for these threads (Tony Ro) which, perhaps may have something to add (with my thanks, of course).

PS 1: One point more related with theory and with chesppublishing.com  is that I am convinced that 4…dxe5 5.Nxe5 e6 as played by Tal in the 6th  (and against Ivkov in a previous match) is quite playable. Khalifman on his book opening for White according to Anand is, in my opinion, not totally convincing that White is better.

PS2: is the  book “Selected Games of Chess, 1948-69” (HarperCollins) different from the previous ones?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo