Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New (2019) Kaufman Repertoire? (Read 37138 times)
nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Re: New (2019) Kaufman Repertoire?
Reply #8 - 05/24/19 at 08:14:24
Post Tools
Against 1.e4, he seemed to have an indéfectible faith in 1...e5 in his last two books and I understand the wording of the excerpt on Amazon as pointing towards refinements, not a radical change. Maybe he will choose another system against the Spanish...
Against 1.d4, he always seemed less committed, I would not be surprised to see him change again. And he mentioned in the excerpt the Ragozin along side the Grunfeld as the reasons he moves away from 1.d4 as white.

IP Logged

Ray F
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 05/23/19 at 22:18:38
Post Tools
nocteus wrote on 05/23/19 at 20:50:13:
So, as black,
1...e5 still + Ragozin instead of the Grunfeld?

How did you reach these conclusions?

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #6 - 05/23/19 at 20:50:13
Post Tools
So, as black,
1...e5 still + Ragozin instead of the Grunfeld?

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #5 - 05/03/19 at 04:51:06
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 05/02/19 at 22:03:09:
The number that is put on sites like amazon though isnt necessarily the same number that the author has been asked to aim for as far as i understand it. I think there have been several occasions on this forum where authors or editors have said something along those lines /

That's interesting. I'm not familiar with the posts you mention -- I hope the publishers were not giving the authors one target page count early and arbitrarily a different target late. That would be disconcerting to say the least.

I was trying to agree with your earlier post, but I wasn't careful with my wording/tone, so I managed to make it seem like I was correcting you. Sorry about that. I probably overstated the "rarely" adjusted part, but the point is they can't just add one page at a time, they have to add 16 pages. Whether they are flexible must differ by publisher, but for instance many of the Everyman books that come out in series magically have the same page count each time.

Looking at Keep It Simple 1.e4 as a concrete example: total 368 pages (16*23), but not all of that is by Sielecki. In-between the front-matter and end-matter, the author gets pages 9-357, for 349 out of the 368 (but three of those 349 are blank; apparently NIC doesn't mind starting a chapter on a left-hand page, but they always start a section on a right-hand page). Anyway, the author doesn't really know how many pages his content will print out to. It's all a big guessing game for the author, especially because the publisher controls the layout. I wonder if there is a rule of thumb for scaling ChessBase pages to book pages? (Depending on layout of course.)

Then again the publisher can change their mind, after they see the first draft. Bigger book, smaller book, split it into two books, etc. I think Quality Chess does this almost every time. On the other hand they don't give page counts months in advance.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 05/02/19 at 22:03:09
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 05/01/19 at 20:06:12:
RoleyPoley wrote on 05/01/19 at 16:04:47:
Having a page count listed doesnt mean that is the actual number of pages of the book - sometimes publishers give a number which is then adjusted closer to the time.

More like *always* publishers give a number, which is *rarely* adjusted closer to the time. For a physical book the page count is a multiple of usually 16 due to the way the signature is folded. The price charged by the printer depends on the number of signatures, and some printers are limited in what they can accomodate. I imagine for chess book authors it becomes a question of what to leave out, to fit in the number of pages.

That's the general picture. There are some members here who actually deal with this sort of thing, and can straighten out any details I might have munged.

The number that is put on sites like amazon though isnt necessarily the same number that the author has been asked to aim for as far as i understand it. I think there have been several occasions on this forum where authors or editors have said something along those lines /

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #3 - 05/01/19 at 21:25:27
Post Tools
I predict the White repertoire will be: Italian, Bb5 Sicilian, French Tarrasch, Exchange CK.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #2 - 05/01/19 at 20:06:12
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 05/01/19 at 16:04:47:
Having a page count listed doesnt mean that is the actual number of pages of the book - sometimes publishers give a number which is then adjusted closer to the time.

More like *always* publishers give a number, which is *rarely* adjusted closer to the time. For a physical book the page count is a multiple of usually 16 due to the way the signature is folded. The price charged by the printer depends on the number of signatures, and some printers are limited in what they can accomodate. I imagine for chess book authors it becomes a question of what to leave out, to fit in the number of pages.

That's the general picture. There are some members here who actually deal with this sort of thing, and can straighten out any details I might have munged.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 05/01/19 at 16:04:47
Post Tools
Ray F wrote on 04/29/19 at 21:00:54:
It appears that there will be a new Kaufman repertoire book:

on Amazon search for:
Kaufman's New Repertoire for Black and White

It also appears that he has gone back to e4 as white.

Anyone have any more information on this? The target release date is Oct 20. Given that they have page count already, I can't see why it should take 6 months to publish.  No confirmation on the NIC site.

NIC will be publishing other books this year too, this will have to find space amongst them for printing and advertising.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Ray F
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

New (2019) Kaufman Repertoire?
04/29/19 at 21:00:54
Post Tools
It appears that there will be a new Kaufman repertoire book:

on Amazon search for:
Kaufman's New Repertoire for Black and White

It also appears that he has gone back to e4 as white.

Anyone have any more information on this? The target release date is Oct 20. Given that they have page count already, I can't see why it should take 6 months to publish.  No confirmation on the NIC site.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo