Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Startling Opening Repertoire - New Edition (Read 14015 times)
VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Startling Opening Repertoire - New Edition
Reply #32 - 01/25/20 at 23:03:12
Post Tools
According to the new introduction the overall recommendations are the same but new lines have been added, corrections have been made etc. Against the Alekhine they suggest 2.Nc3 which allows many transpositions and the independent 2. ...d5 which they cover.

I think if you like the repertoire presented in the 1st edition you should buy the electronic version of this one in the Chess Studio app. Assuming you have a tablet.

IP Logged

ChessTer202
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 01/14/20 at 09:49:13
Post Tools
How big are updates? Some new critical lines, or cosmetic changes? I have 1st edition, is 2nd better and worth buying? What they recommand against Alekhine?

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 10/13/19 at 00:47:06
Post Tools
The Petroff has a ton of theory and is very rarely played in amateur level. The book recommendation is a gambit to end the game quickly, win or lose! You can just ignore it and play normal developing moves if you don't want to gambit. I don't think White is under any pressure.

You can take a look at chess365 to see what generally works and what doesn't from 2. ...Nf6 onwards.

If you want a master level repertoire that pushes for the advantage in all lines then I repeat my Schandorff recommendation, the newer Playing d4 series, don't be confused by his older books. But I believe the Startling repertoire results in more tactical games and will help an amateur improve faster and have more fun. We can always learn more involved theory later, when we are stronger in tactics and endgames.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 10/12/19 at 08:42:27
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 09/29/19 at 13:40:07:
You need two books to try to cover White side solidly. Now with this book you may have to switch some parts out as you see fit.

Understood. I read that the "crazy" Nxf7 vs the Petroff was chosen because the authors didn't find anything good in their opinion to challenge this solid defense. I don't particularly like it because it gives some "coffee-house" flavour to the repertoire, and White is suddenly trying to prove that he has to win, or either lose miserably, where vs. other lines (in the book, I mean) I play very quietly and with no hurry, i.e. vs the Sicilian there is nothing risky but White generally aims for a safe plus. Just my 2 cents of course.

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 10/12/19 at 01:40:15
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 09/29/19 at 13:40:07:
I love this book, but it’s also very unusual IMHO, because it is advocating some very risky lines, i.e. Nxf7 Vs
the Petroff, or Max Lange Attack & Koltanowski Variation vs 1...e5, yet vs the Alekhine defense it is suggesting a line in which White basically plays for a little positional advantage, without risking anything in the opening. What do you think?

I think this is because it is a White repertoire in one book and needs to cut corners, especially in openings that are rarer in amateur play, like the Petroff.

You need two books to try to cover White side solidly. Now with this book you may have to switch some parts out as you see fit.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 10/03/19 at 20:08:50
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 10/03/19 at 14:39:27:
grandpatzer wrote on 10/02/19 at 14:35:24:
I often wonder what lines would be suggested in "A Startling Opening Repertoire for Black". I hope so, but honestly I don't think we'll ever see it....

Jonathan Tait has said in the Kings Gambit thread that he is working on a book about disreputable openings for black (1.e4 e5).

I guess, the Alterman gambit guide books and the one by Moret are attempts to provide the same sort of repertoires.

Sure, and there is also the excellent "Unconventional Approaches to Modern Chess, Volume 1: Rare Ideas for Black" by A. ipatov. Yet, I'd be curious to know what Baker and Burgess would suggest as Black, in case such a book will ever be published...  Cool

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 10/03/19 at 14:39:27
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 10/02/19 at 14:35:24:
I often wonder what lines would be suggested in "A Startling Opening Repertoire for Black". I hope so, but honestly I don't think we'll ever see it....

Jonathan Tait has said in the Kings Gambit thread that he is working on a book about disreputable openings for black (1.e4 e5).

I guess, the Alterman gambit guide books and the one by Moret are attempts to provide the same sort of repertoires.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 10/02/19 at 14:35:24
Post Tools

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 09/29/19 at 13:40:07
Post Tools
I love this book, but it’s also very unusual IMHO, because it is advocating some very risky lines, i.e. Nxf7 Vs
the Petroff, or Max Lange Attack & Koltanowski Variation vs 1...e5, yet vs the Alekhine defense it is suggesting a line in which White basically plays for a little positional advantage, without risking anything in the opening. What do you think?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #23 - 09/09/19 at 01:52:54
Post Tools
mn wrote on 08/05/19 at 18:19:42:
I haven't done much comparing with the older edition, but from what I understand the changes are mostly with analysis, and not wholesale repertoire recommendation changes.

This is my impression too. I had the original edition and recently I bought this new one in app edition. Maybe I was just unlucky, but in both the parts I needed it for (to look at with a student), I got the feeling it really would have been better to switch lines entirely:

In the 4.Qxd4 Sicilian the main line ends up in calm positions where White's attack has dried up and to my eyes White seriously risks being worse. One obvious solution would have been to add coverage of the setups where White tries to get in c4 with a Maroczy Bind type position, but that's not mentioned. While in the French Two Knights' main line I had some hopes the main line with 0-0-0 would be added since the 0-0 and Ne5 lines don't seem to trouble Black very much. But no such luck... And in the 9...Qxf6 line he doesn't mention Black's plan of ...Qh6 and ...Nf6-h5 that I picked up from Neil McDonald's decade-old book How to Play Against 1 e4.

But there surely are good parts of the book too. I intend to take a closer look at the 1...e5, French, Caro-Kann and Rossolimo chapters and maybe use the lines occasionally.

In the 1...e5 part, the expansion of the note on 8.fxg7!? in the Max Lange Attack shows that some real work has gone into this new edition. The Anti-Max Lange being so drawish is a shame (from a White point of view), but Burgess gives it a good try and I don't think you'll find better attempts to keep some complexity anywhere else.
« Last Edit: 09/09/19 at 06:40:23 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 09/08/19 at 18:26:49
Post Tools
According to Amazon my copy arrives tomorrow!! Cheesy

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 09/07/19 at 10:47:12
Post Tools
The book is now available from an Amazon affiliate, so I feel it will be just days before it is available from the main chess online shops, too...

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 08/18/19 at 12:11:39
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 08/18/19 at 11:33:20:
Is the paperback edition already published? I'd love to buy this book in paper version. Gambit site says it's published. But nobody is offering it for sale.

I had a quick look on Chess Direct and Chess and Bridge in the UK, and they didnt appear to list it at all.

Amazon have it on pre-order with a date of 22 September - but i dont know if that is the publication date, or a date they recieve their shipment as some publishers dont supply them as quickly as other retailers.

from memory I didnt think it was supposed to be published in paperback until end of September?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 08/18/19 at 11:33:20
Post Tools
Is the paperback edition already published? I'd love to buy this book in paper version. Gambit site says it's published. But nobody is offering it for sale.

IP Logged

VGA

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 08/12/19 at 04:00:06
Post Tools
I got the digital edition of this book, I don't know if there is a physical edition but I recommend the digital one because the very nice Android app provides a board and engine support. And very importantly: clickable links!

In my opinion this repertoire book should be first read skipping over almost all subvariations. So you learn the core of the repertoire and then refer to it after each White game you play. Again, clickable links in the Index of variations are a god-send!

Second point I want to make is that it follows a tree structure and doesn't seem to contain full annotated games but it references many of them so you should probably have a nice fat database of games to look them up. I have seen references to high profile player encounters (Carlsen), correspondence games and even at least one Stockfish vs LC0 game from the TCEC  Cheesy

Seems to be an active e4 repertoire for lively games without resorting to cheap gambits. And it is modular so if you don't like the Cochrane gambit, play something else. One cannot expect a fully fleshed out repertoire for White in one volume. Besides, noone plays the Petroff, right?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo