Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Keep It Simple 1.d4 by Sielecki (Read 5164 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Keep It Simple 1.d4 by Sielecki
Reply #32 - 06/13/19 at 20:11:16
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 06/13/19 at 02:11:53:
I suspect that by book, Tony meant 'video / lines at Chessable.'

I assumed it was a book like the previous one, but apparently not (yet) Roll Eyes

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #31 - 06/13/19 at 02:11:53
Post Tools
I suspect that by book, Tony meant 'video / lines at Chessable.'

The Chessable guys are very... aggressive in trying to get their materials publicized. I mean that in a good way... mostly.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #30 - 06/13/19 at 01:24:13
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 06/13/19 at 00:48:30:
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/12/19 at 21:36:56:
How is possible if the paper book is not out until November ¿

You're referring to the publication date, which is when the book is made available to the public. The publishers will receive printed copies before that, and may choose to send some of them out to be reviewed.

I find that odd. Maybe publishers do it differently. Quality Chess if I understand correctly get their books basically in Glasgow and chess shops at around same time of their scheduled release date. So public gets books same time as publisher gets it.

I never knew that New in Chess got books earlier than public though.

In that case, why not send them immediately to chess shops instead of waiting to November ¿  Cheesy

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #29 - 06/13/19 at 00:48:30
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/12/19 at 21:36:56:

You're referring to the publication date, which is when the book is made available to the public. The publishers will receive printed copies before that, and may choose to send some of them out to be reviewed.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #28 - 06/12/19 at 21:36:56
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 06/12/19 at 15:17:15:
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/08/19 at 08:19:37:
The publishers asked us if we could review it, so if anyone wants to review the book I could get a copy sent to them.

Maybe proustiskeen ...

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #27 - 06/12/19 at 15:17:15
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/08/19 at 08:19:37:
The publishers asked us if we could review it, so if anyone wants to review the book I could get a copy sent to them.

Maybe proustiskeen ...

IP Logged

doefmat
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 06/12/19 at 11:10:04
Post Tools
katar wrote on 06/10/19 at 17:22:27:
gillbod wrote on 05/15/19 at 21:00:44:
one of the main reasons i was sceptical of this move order was slav-type set ups from black. but chessexplained's descriptions of the arising positions from his youtube channel show that he's given this a fair bit of thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOhYkzJawKE

That game looked like a reversed London System (old mainline) in which White spent the extra tempo on g2-g3.
I am confident in Sielecki's skill as a compiler/researcher and presenter, but my initial impression is that the project does not look "simple" at all.  Looks like a ton of hard work. 

I guess it's kind of the middle road between a hardcore full blown mainline repertoire and a narrow 'system' repertoire like the London? If I understand correctly the goal is to provide a repertoire he would also recommend for his students, improving players. A repertoire that you can play at any level and one you can always expand with other lines.

It looks like his e4 repertoire has less lines so maybe is more simple. On the other hand, in this repertoire he goes way more deeper in lines to explain middle game ideas.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #25 - 06/11/19 at 11:28:28
Post Tools
Im definitely interested in this repertoire but can see myself waiting for the book version. I’m new to Chessable and have tried one of the free sample courses (on the Petroff) and it’s not what I’m looking for personally. I want analysis, and this is (unless I’m using  it wrong) a move by move repetition trainer.

It’s also says there’s a free 3+ hour of video but how to download it is not clear, unless it comes with the. ASIC version?

That’s said, I like the overall concept of delaying c4. In particular the King’s Indian section interests me. Does he transpose into the main fianchetto lines, or play it more like Burgess’ Cunning Rep for White, with a quick Re1 and e2-e4?

IP Logged

JFugre
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 06/11/19 at 09:18:52
Post Tools
katar wrote on 06/10/19 at 17:22:27:
That game looked like a reversed London System (old mainline) in which White spent the extra tempo on g2-g3.
I am confident in Sielecki's skill as a compiler/researcher and presenter, but my initial impression is that the project does not look "simple" at all.  Looks like a ton of hard work. 

I think the "Simple" in Sielecki's books needs to be understood as meaning that you should be able to play the openings even if you forget most of the theory and only remember the general ideas, i.e. there tend to be very fewer forcing or very sharp variations.

The downside is of course that play is sometimes less principled, or on the black side, that you won't fully equalize.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #23 - 06/10/19 at 17:22:27
Post Tools
gillbod wrote on 05/15/19 at 21:00:44:
one of the main reasons i was sceptical of this move order was slav-type set ups from black. but chessexplained's descriptions of the arising positions from his youtube channel show that he's given this a fair bit of thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOhYkzJawKE

2078 uscf
IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #22 - 06/08/19 at 15:20:26
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/08/19 at 00:52:04:
It say with added video is 99,98USD. I think that that is pretty damn expensive, but that is just me.

It is almost 30 hours of video, which is more like 6 DVDs. And on chessable, you can click on a line you're interested in and it will jump to the right place in the video, that's awesome!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #21 - 06/08/19 at 08:19:37
Post Tools

IP Logged

TD

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #20 - 06/08/19 at 04:15:00
Post Tools

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 06/08/19 at 01:13:30
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/08/19 at 00:52:04:
Personally with paper book only 5 USD more than Chessable at that price, I would prefer just get paper book. But if you really prefer electronic you could choose Chessable version.

I would also much prefer the paper book version....only problem is that doesn't look like being published until November and I would like to start working on it over the next few months.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #18 - 06/08/19 at 00:52:04
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 06/07/19 at 19:38:54:
FM Ajay Karthikeyan includes this:  "After 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 c5 this has proved to be the most critical approach against this universal setup from White 4.Bg2 cxd4 all this has been normal development and now comes the twist 5.O-O! I have never seen this idea in my entire chess career to be honest and this really surprised me and I got really attached to this idea."  I mentioned it in an earlier thread about this stuff, but 5. 0-0 appeared in Nunn's Chess Openings some twenty years ago (five years before Karthikeyan was born) where it was given as leading to an edge for White.

The reviewer is 15 years old ¿

MW wrote on 06/07/19 at 19:51:37:
So can someone please help an IT moron like myself ??

Good day, fellow IT moron  Cheesy. I can confirm that it is fairly easy to use. You just follow moves given in each line and play them back. You have to actually move pieces though, like when playing online blitz instead of rolling cursor like ChessBase.

MW wrote on 06/07/19 at 19:51:37:
Anything else I should know before I decide whether or not to invest?

If I see correctly, it is 25USD (24,99USD which is essentially 25USD but you know).

It say with added video is 99,98USD. I think that that is pretty damn expensive, but that is just me. Personally I think that electronic should cost less than 20€ since paper book you actually can hold in your hand.

Compared with ChessBase DWD with files around same price.

For Amazon, I found: https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Simple-1-d4-Straightforward-Repertoire/dp/9056918672

Shows basically 30USD. So Chessable is 5USD less.

Personally with paper book only 5 USD more than Chessable at that price, I would prefer just get paper book. But if you really prefer electronic you could choose Chessable version.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo