Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Keep It Simple 1.d4 by Sielecki (Read 13761 times)
Pantu

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Keep It Simple 1.d4 by Sielecki
Reply #42 - 06/14/19 at 21:58:17
Post Tools
I'm not so familiar with Chessable either, but this will be published in book format later this year (I assume by New in Chess) so you can have a standard paper book with this format if you can wait.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #41 - 06/14/19 at 19:29:40
Post Tools
I'm pretty sure that it allows the Grunfeld (the semi-symmetrical g3 lines), as well as many versions of the Benoni (though I'm not exactly sure what he proposes after 1.d4 c5 or 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5, so coukd be wrong).  If it converges with lines covered in Wojo's Weapons or Avrukh's books, there could be more work for White than you'd think.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #40 - 06/14/19 at 12:07:39
Post Tools
I’m very interested in this repertoire as it’s a perfect way of avoiding Benko/Benoni/Grünfeld (among other things) without having to resort to d-pawn specials all the time. This repertoire could solve many problems for me before I  just switch to 1.c4 entirely.

However, I’ve never used Chessable, and I’ve had some difficulty in finding out what it’s like. Is everything done through the MoveTrainer program, or is there any traditional analysis like you would expect in ChessPub, for example? Is there a book/index to search for a specific variation, for example?

Apologies if these questions are a little off-topic, but the website (at least to me) doesn’t make it as clear as I apparently need it to be.

IP Logged

Matute
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 06/14/19 at 11:19:33
Post Tools
katar wrote on 06/13/19 at 23:16:44:
JFugre wrote on 06/13/19 at 20:36:40:
every new book immediately has tens of enormously glowing reviews
Yes, it seems an enormously glowing "review" is part of the bargain to become a "beta-tester" at Chessable.  (Beta-testers get the e-books for free.)

I would be interested in a thorough/objective review of the new Sielecki product.  Why is it better than similar attempts, like Wojo's weapons or the older Donaldson/Hansen Strategic Repertoire (or even Avrukh for that matter)?  The video-samples are not encouraging from my point of view.  For instance, the promotional bit about the novelty played in Ding Liren - Caruana 2019 suggests to me that the repertoire is far beyond simple.  It could have been subtitled, "Keep it simple, and outprep Caruana."

We are not gonna play Caruana though

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 06/14/19 at 10:32:22
Post Tools
Thanks Stigma, that is very enlightening. It is only sensible to want to review things where you have an interest/ background expertise.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #37 - 06/14/19 at 09:24:43
Post Tools
katar wrote on 06/13/19 at 23:16:44:
Yes, it seems an enormously glowing "review" is part of the bargain to become a "beta-tester" at Chessable.  (Beta-testers get the e-books for free.)

This is an exaggeration. There have been a number of "non-glowing" reviews from beta testers too, and the company explicitly encourages reviewers to be honest. But you have to understand the dynamic here: The beta testers volunteer for it, and usually they will volunteer only for courses they already want or are interested in, or even have in another format and already love. From that starting point they spend many hours to help improve the product. And if they have major complaints that could have resulted in a negative review, these will often be addressed and fixed before publication.

So it's not surprising that most reviews by beta testers will be very positive. Though I once helped beta test a course where the comments from us testers were negative enough that Chessable decided not to publish it in that form since it needed a lot more work from the author.

Full disclosure: I have beta tested around 7 courses for Chessable, and my reviews have been very positive. I've simply chosen to help only with courses I had every reason to believe would be excellent and relevant to me.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 06/14/19 at 01:42:18
Post Tools

Being a 1 Nf3 or 1 d4 player I'm very interested in this book (in the paper format) so I'm keeping an open mind on this new work by Sielecki....Not being a 1e4 player I didn't buy Keep It Simple 1 e4 but it did win book of the year on this site and from all accounts it is excellent.

No reason at this stage to suspect this new title won't be of similar quality.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #35 - 06/13/19 at 23:16:44
Post Tools

I would be interested in a thorough/objective review of the new Sielecki product.  Why is it better than similar attempts, like Wojo's weapons or the older Donaldson/Hansen Strategic Repertoire (or even Avrukh for that matter)?  The video-samples are not encouraging from my point of view.  For instance, the promotional bit about the novelty played in Ding Liren - Caruana 2019 suggests to me that the repertoire is far beyond simple.  It could have been subtitled, "Keep it simple, and outprep Caruana."

2078 uscf
IP Logged

JFugre
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 06/13/19 at 20:36:40
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 06/13/19 at 02:11:53:
I suspect that by book, Tony meant 'video / lines at Chessable.'

The Chessable guys are very... aggressive in trying to get their materials publicized. I mean that in a good way... mostly.

As far as reviews go, it means that every new book immediately has tens of enormously glowing reviews that are for the most part totally uncritical.

Personally I find that this makes me less likely, not more likely, to buy something...

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #33 - 06/13/19 at 20:19:52
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/13/19 at 20:11:16:

I assumed it was a book like the previous one, but apparently not (yet) Roll Eyes

They actually did it the same way the last time (KIS 1.e4). It was available online for months before New in Chess made a print book out of it. I still haven't seen the book version of that, but I assume they benefited from feedback from Chessable users to make some improvements here and there.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #32 - 06/13/19 at 20:11:16
Post Tools

I assumed it was a book like the previous one, but apparently not (yet) Roll Eyes

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #31 - 06/13/19 at 02:11:53
Post Tools

The Chessable guys are very... aggressive in trying to get their materials publicized. I mean that in a good way... mostly.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #30 - 06/13/19 at 01:24:13
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 06/13/19 at 00:48:30:
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/12/19 at 21:36:56:
How is possible if the paper book is not out until November ¿

You're referring to the publication date, which is when the book is made available to the public. The publishers will receive printed copies before that, and may choose to send some of them out to be reviewed.

I find that odd. Maybe publishers do it differently. Quality Chess if I understand correctly get their books basically in Glasgow and chess shops at around same time of their scheduled release date. So public gets books same time as publisher gets it.

I never knew that New in Chess got books earlier than public though.

In that case, why not send them immediately to chess shops instead of waiting to November ¿  Cheesy

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #29 - 06/13/19 at 00:48:30
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/12/19 at 21:36:56:

You're referring to the publication date, which is when the book is made available to the public. The publishers will receive printed copies before that, and may choose to send some of them out to be reviewed.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #28 - 06/12/19 at 21:36:56
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 06/12/19 at 15:17:15:
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/08/19 at 08:19:37:
The publishers asked us if we could review it, so if anyone wants to review the book I could get a copy sent to them.

Maybe proustiskeen ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo