Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Keep It Simple 1.d4 by Sielecki (Read 45873 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Keep It Simple 1.d4 by Sielecki
Reply #67 - 04/05/20 at 23:56:44
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 04/05/20 at 21:46:49:
Thanks for answering my question, I had 2 more, what does he recommend vs the benoni and benko (or does he play some anti-benoni) and for those who get the video course, is it recommended?

Poisonous Anti-Benoni line, (Hint) Gelfand faced it with black then later used the idea with White. Provided you can afford it the video course is excellent, particularly if you are a visual learner.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #66 - 04/05/20 at 21:46:49
Post Tools
Thanks for answering my question, I had 2 more, what does he recommend vs the benoni and benko (or does he play some anti-benoni) and for those who get the video course, is it recommended?

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #65 - 04/04/20 at 02:09:00
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 04/03/20 at 20:29:27:
Hi, for anyone who has read the book, how is his catalan reconmendation? Is it the regular catalan lines pretty much or does he have a twist to it? What does he give vs the slav?
fair

I have the book and generally I have found it to be pretty good. I've used it in a few correspondence tournaments and it is fair to say that I haven't experienced any major problems...all the lines seem to be pretty sound but white does have to work at creating the advantage and in many cases simply try to outplay your opponent from a sound position....I think it is a matter of spending time to become familiar with the resulting positions.

As for the Catalan, again pretty mainstream and as Topnotch says using the move order you avoid ....Bb4+ lines. In the Open after 6...dxc4 he goes for 8 a4 after both 7...a6 and 7...b5.

In the Closed Catalan he looks for the e4 push by building with Qc2 and Nbd2.

I have experienced the line Topnotch mentions in paragraph three above on a number of occasions. It is difficult to make anything much of whites position and it is perhaps a line that could have been expanded a little more in the book.

I'm very happy that I have the book and it already has numerous pencil notes written in it which suggest that it is going to be well used over the next few years.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #64 - 04/03/20 at 22:55:11
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 04/03/20 at 20:29:27:
Hi, for anyone who has read the book, how is his catalan reconmendation? Is it the regular catalan lines pretty much or does he have a twist to it? What does he give vs the slav?

The twist in the Catalan Lines is that the chosen move-order avoids Bb4 check which can be quite annoying. The Slav section is quite nuanced and well done, involving delaying 0-0 in favour of Qb3 in some lines, etc etc again precise move-order is important here and he guides the reader/viewer in great detail. Long story short, I found no easy equality for Black in the Slav against the suggested lines in KIS - 1.d4.

Having said all that, and even though you did not ask this question, the Book/Chessable repertoire does have a glaring weak spot, and its the following line which is just dead equality everywhere:

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 c5 4.Bg2 cxd4 5.0-0 Bd7!?= Essentially black is delaying Nc6 so as to meet Nxd4 with e5 denying White the desirable option of Nxc6. The problem for White is that he doesn't really have any convincing waiting moves, although Sielecki makes a valiant effort to show a nibble the positions are just comfortably equal.[5...e6= It should be noted that this position can also be reached by a number of move-orders.]

Final observation, there is no free lunch, if you are essentially going to play 1.d4 2.Nf3 3.g3 against everything you have to accept that against certain systems you will not pose many problems, that's the trade off. Overall though I would say that Keep it Simple 1.d4 does pose a lot of problems for Black in many different systems and contains lots of very interesting novelties and ideas. I guess what I'm saying is just buy the book/course it's one of the most comprehensive one stop Repertoires out there and is sure to repay study with many easy points.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #63 - 04/03/20 at 20:29:27
Post Tools

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 12/19/19 at 05:26:47
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 12/18/19 at 19:28:31:

On another note, I wonder on what grounds the Catalan may be considered a "simple" opening for White... perhaps a better title for the book would have been "Keep it Fianchettoed", but maybe since the 1.e4 book was so successful, they maintained the same title formula.

Anyway, it looks like an interesting book IMHO.

The "simple" refers to the move order 1 d4 2 Nf3 3 g3 4 Bg2 5 0-0 6 c4 which is the preferred move order in this repertoire (whenever it makes sense). The idea is to reduce the number of systems you have to know by avoiding all systems with an early dxc4 by Black.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #61 - 12/18/19 at 19:28:31
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 12/18/19 at 15:03:13:
I didn't pay attention to Kindle books before, because I would rather have a different e-book format, if not a physical book. So I was a little surprised that the Kindle preview has more content to view than the "official" preview from New in Chess.

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Simple-1-d4-Straightforward-Repertoire/dp/9056918672...

versus

https://www.newinchess.com/media/wysiwyg/product_pdf/9084.pdf

Good  to know... I guess the reason for this is that once the Publisher agrees to have a Kindle version, Amazon has more control on what to put in the preview.

On another note, I wonder on what grounds the Catalan may be considered a "simple" opening for White... perhaps a better title for the book would have been "Keep it Fianchettoed", but maybe since the 1.e4 book was so successful, they maintained the same title formula.

Anyway, it looks like an interesting book IMHO.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #60 - 12/18/19 at 15:03:13
Post Tools
I didn't pay attention to Kindle books before, because I would rather have a different e-book format, if not a physical book. So I was a little surprised that the Kindle preview has more content to view than the "official" preview from New in Chess.

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Simple-1-d4-Straightforward-Repertoire/dp/9056918672...

versus

https://www.newinchess.com/media/wysiwyg/product_pdf/9084.pdf

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #59 - 11/26/19 at 09:25:16
Post Tools
TD wrote on 11/22/19 at 18:01:24:

It’s finally here! Cheesy I’ve been studying and playing this since the summer so having the print version too is great.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #58 - 11/22/19 at 18:01:24
Post Tools

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #57 - 07/02/19 at 17:32:22
Post Tools
winawer77 wrote on 06/27/19 at 16:09:57:
ErictheRed wrote on 06/25/19 at 15:58:11:
I'm curious what he recommends against the Grunfeld, Benoni, and Benko, or how he avoids those lines.  Also the King's Indian. 

Grunfeld is met by 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 0-0 5.0-0 d5 6.c4 with typical play for this line.

King's Indian is (after the above moves) 5...d6 6.b3.

Benoni and Benko are avoided, instead he goes into commonly recommended anti-Indian systems against them, but with his own twist.

Benoni is met by 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.d5 g6 4.Nc3 Bg7 5.e4 d6 and now he recommends the new 6.Bc4!? with the idea of discouraging ...e6

Benko is met by 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.d5 b5 4.c3!? Instead of the usual 4.Bg5, although Bg5 usually follows at some stage.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #56 - 06/28/19 at 00:33:54
Post Tools
BeeCaves wrote on 06/27/19 at 20:36:08:
Stigma wrote on 06/27/19 at 17:13:49:
The weird thing with 6.Bc4 is it seems to make one of Black's other plans stronger: ...Bg4 to get rid of a minor piece, followed by ...Nbd7, ...a6 and usually ...Ne8-c7, playing for the ...b5 break but also sometimes ...f5.

I have struggled with White against that plan even in its most common version (with White playing Be2), and it looks like White will lose time compared to that with Bc4 and Qxf3 because he probably doesn't want to allow ...Ne5xc4. So I'm skeptical. But I will take a look at what Sielecki has to say about 6.Bc4.

It looks like his line is almost exactly what you would expect based on what you wrote -- White simply gets the bishop pair on f3, loses time retreating, makes normal moves like a4 and Re1 ... But Stockfish seems to give White an edge.  He doesn't consider ...f5 in combination with Bxf3 though.

Maybe ...f5 is more appropriate when Black has kept his light-squared bishop, or as a counter specifically to f2-f4 with White's rook still on f1, I'm not sure. I have tried all the decent lines for White here: 6.Bb5+, 6.Bc4, 6.Be2 (with both Nd2 and allowing ...Bxf3 after 6...Bg4) and inserting h3 to avoid ...Bg4 altogether if the move order allows it. So it's a bit hard to keep all the possibilites apart.

There's really just one guy who plays this against me all the time in blitz and rapid. But he's an IM, a blitz expert and something of an angstgegner, so it may not be just the opening that is at fault for my abysmal results...

I looked at Sielecki's lines now. They look decent enough, but they end too early to my mind. I could easily see myself finding all his moves at the board and still getting in trouble a few more moves down the line. So further analysis is needed.

I should have that NIC Yearbook somewhere. There's also a Schmid Benoni game with three test questions along the way in Dvoretsky's Strategic Play - the chapter is called 'Clash of Plans' and the game is Browne - Gheorghiu, London 1980.
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1462512

There White played with Be2, but with an unusual early Nd2 move order that avoids ...Bg4. Maybe Black could have tried ...e6 against it, but instead he played for ...b5 really slowly with ...Na6-c7, ...b6, ...Ba6, ...Rb8 and eventually ...a6. But Black still won in the end! This is a tricky opening for both sides to handle.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #55 - 06/27/19 at 23:03:49
Post Tools
Is it bad to let Black take on d4, like 1. d4 Cf6 2. Cf3 c5 3. g3 and continue like reversed Tarrasch ¿ I expected something like this instead of declined Blumenfeld or Schmidt Benoni.

3. g3 is like a lazy way of playing Catalan against everything, even without c4 played. To me it keeps things much simpler.

About Grünfeld, why not b3 without c4, transposing to strange Colle-Zukertort where White has double fianchetto ¿ I thought that b3 with c4 lines against ...c6/...d5 Fianchetto Grünfeld were equal like Awrukh and Swidler proved.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #54 - 06/27/19 at 23:02:17
Post Tools
A bit of a follow-up:  apparently the article I was imperfectly remembering is one by Rustem Dautov back in 2001.  Regarding this game (unlike the other ways of playing by Black which he addressed) he didn't indicate a way for White to be better.  "Socko's plan with Bf4-g3 was too simplistic; White should look for an improvement."
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1168497

IP Logged

BeeCaves

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #53 - 06/27/19 at 20:36:08
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/27/19 at 17:13:49:
kylemeister wrote on 06/27/19 at 16:48:43:
Well, that 6. Bc4 in the Schmid Benoni isn't exactly new.  There was a Yearbook article on it some years ago which regarded it as a good try for an edge.

The weird thing with 6.Bc4 is it seems to make one of Black's other plans stronger: ...Bg4 to get rid of a minor piece, followed by ...Nbd7, ...a6 and usually ...Ne8-c7, playing for the ...b5 break but also sometimes ...f5.

I have struggled with White against that plan even in its most common version (with White playing Be2), and it looks like White will lose time compared to that with Bc4 and Qxf3 because he probably doesn't want to allow ...Ne5xc4. So I'm skeptical. But I will take a look at what Sielecki has to say about 6.Bc4.

It looks like his line is almost exactly what you would expect based on what you wrote -- White simply gets the bishop pair on f3, loses time retreating, makes normal moves like a4 and Re1 ... But Stockfish seems to give White an edge.  He doesn't consider ...f5 in combination with Bxf3 though.

I know what you mean about this line though -- I have never studied it that rigorously or faced it in a slow game but seem to get it in Blitz every couple months, and always feel like I screw it up.

Often playing on auto-pilot, I'll do something like
1 d4 Nf6 2 Nf3 c5 3 d5 g6 4 Nc3 Bg7 5 e4 d6 6 Be2 Bg4 7 Nd2 Bxe2 8 Qxe2 0-0 9 0-0 a6 10 a4 Nbd7 11 a5 Re8 12 Nc4 b5 13 axb6 Nxb6 14 Nxb6 Qxb6

Comp still likes White here and is probably right and I played plans that frequently get recommended in books in Benoni structures (playing Nd2 to avoid ... Bxf3 and get to c4, playing a4-a5 if Black doesn't play b6, etc).

But feels like I'm playing Benko gambit without the extra pawn.

Sometimes instead I've tried Nc4-a5, and trying to go to c6, instead of trading on b6.  And during the blitz game I felt like I'm Karpov trying to exploit a weak square (and sometimes the move is good if the tempos work out) but you can also just get the Nc6 in a world of trouble if e7-e6 works for Black and the Nb6 and Nf6 are hitting d5.

Sometime I use the extra tempos to develop the Bc1 but then b2 can be weak, or sometimes I've tried to push e4-e5 quickly but you really need to get the moment right.

So perhaps there's no big rush to move quickly as White, and trading the Bg4 on e2 instead of f3 seems to be nothing special, the Nd2-c4 plan might be more effective in Benoni than Schmidt Benoni.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #52 - 06/27/19 at 17:13:49
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 06/27/19 at 16:48:43:
Well, that 6. Bc4 in the Schmid Benoni isn't exactly new.  There was a Yearbook article on it some years ago which regarded it as a good try for an edge.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #51 - 06/27/19 at 16:48:43
Post Tools

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #50 - 06/27/19 at 16:09:57
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 06/25/19 at 15:58:11:
I'm curious what he recommends against the Grunfeld, Benoni, and Benko, or how he avoids those lines.  Also the King's Indian. 

Grunfeld is met by 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 0-0 5.0-0 d5 6.c4 with typical play for this line.

King's Indian is (after the above moves) 5...d6 6.b3.

Benoni and Benko are avoided, instead he goes into commonly recommended anti-Indian systems against them, but with his own twist.

Benoni is met by 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.d5 g6 4.Nc3 Bg7 5.e4 d6 and now he recommends the new 6.Bc4!? with the idea of discouraging ...e6

Benko is met by 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.d5 b5 4.c3!? Instead of the usual 4.Bg5, although Bg5 usually follows at some stage.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #49 - 06/25/19 at 15:58:11
Post Tools

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #48 - 06/21/19 at 09:32:33
Post Tools
Thanks everyone for advising me on how Chessable works. So I took the plunge and bought it! For an existing 1.d4 2.Nf3 player this repertoire is potentially of great value to me. Sure, I would prefer a paper book to the MoveTrainer, but as I couldn’t wait for it to be printed (November, I think) I decided to try out Chessable. I don’t regret my purchase.

If anyone wants to know what he recommends against any particular variation then please ask away. I won’t give any analysis away but will share the main repertoire choice.

As far as ‘Keep it Simple’ goes, this book is very different from the 1.e4 book. That one gave clear pawn structures and plans against each black response. 1.d4 is quite the opposite - though our initial moves are the same 1.d4, 2.Nf3 3.g3 etc there are transpositions into other openings everywhere. Clear plans are often sidelined in cases where Black sharpens the play at the outset, resulting in often obscure and non-typical pawn structures that are uncommon (in my experience) for a traditional 1.d4 player. It’s very much an ‘Avrukh-lite’ repertoire; there’s a huge amount of material to work through.

If you are attached to your d-pawn and like a typical presence in the centre with the pawn occupying d4 or d5 you will find a lot of the recommendations go against the grain. The pawn will often be exchanged off by a ...c5 from Black, often with your pawns still on c2 and e2, so don’t think it’s just an English. Sometimes with dxc5 from White, sometimes allowing ...cxd4 into Reversed Grunfeld setups. These positions are very unique to this repertoire and make full use of the specific delayed c4 move order Sielecki recommends. That in mind, there’s a decent case for entering the repertoire via 1.Nf3, 2.g3, 3.Bg2 and only deciding to play d4 in some cases, or even go into a Symmetrical English if you prefer that to the recommended positions where your d-pawn gets exchanged off so early.

It’s a good repertoire and I look forward to trying it out more online and eventually over the board. I can’t wait for the book to be published though as I find this way of absorbing the information much easier. In the meantime I’ll stick the rep into my own ChessBase files as I learn it.

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #47 - 06/17/19 at 15:45:13
Post Tools
winawer77 wrote on 06/14/19 at 12:07:39:
I’m very interested in this repertoire as it’s a perfect way of avoiding Benko/Benoni/Grünfeld (among other things) without having to resort to d-pawn specials all the time. This repertoire could solve many problems for me before I  just switch to 1.c4 entirely.

However, I’ve never used Chessable, and I’ve had some difficulty in finding out what it’s like. Is everything done through the MoveTrainer program, or is there any traditional analysis like you would expect in ChessPub, for example? Is there a book/index to search for a specific variation, for example?

Apologies if these questions are a little off-topic, but the website (at least to me) doesn’t make it as clear as I apparently need it to be.

You can browse repertoire tree by making moves.  You can also just read the chapters without training the moves. I have two of his products, the 1.e4 and the 1...e5 Petroff repertoire but I personally use Chess Position Trainer for storing/training my repertoire.

Maybe in the future I'm going to switch to the Chesstempo opening trainer because offline software like this is getting outdated. And I absolutely hate Chessbase. (and don't understand why it hasn't got a spaced repetition training mode like CPT and Chessable).

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 06/16/19 at 20:44:00
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/14/19 at 09:24:43:
katar wrote on 06/13/19 at 23:16:44:
JFugre wrote on 06/13/19 at 20:36:40:
every new book immediately has tens of enormously glowing reviews
Yes, it seems an enormously glowing "review" is part of the bargain to become a "beta-tester" at Chessable.  (Beta-testers get the e-books for free.)

This is an exaggeration. There have been a number of "non-glowing" reviews from beta testers too, and the company explicitly encourages reviewers to be honest. But you have to understand the dynamic here: The beta testers volunteer for it, and usually they will volunteer only for courses they already want or are interested in, or even have in another format and already love. From that starting point they spend many hours to help improve the product. And if they have major complaints that could have resulted in a negative review, these will often be addressed and fixed before publication.

So it's not surprising that most reviews by beta testers will be very positive. Though I once helped beta test a course where the comments from us testers were negative enough that Chessable decided not to publish it in that form since it needed a lot more work from the author.

Full disclosure: I have beta tested around 7 courses for Chessable, and my reviews have been very positive. I've simply chosen to help only with courses I had every reason to believe would be excellent and relevant to me.

I fully agree. You volunteer for courses you are interested in and in my experience most issues that are raised will be  addressed during beta testing. So a >= 4 star rating should not be a surprise. But even so one of my reviews was pretty negative about the course it discussed and I also gave only one 5 star rating so far.

One additional point is that there are no guidelines I know of that tell you how to decide whether a course deserves a 1-, 2-, 3-, 4- or 5-star rating. I believe most reviewers tend to be a little bit too generous when in doubt.

My suggestion is to look at the pro and con sections most reviews contain and check other reviews by the same reviewer. Then you get a better idea of how strict or generous the given reviewer is.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

but its always the best

Reply #45 - 06/15/19 at 12:19:36
Post Tools
I’m very interested in this repertoire as it’s a perfect way of avoiding Benko/Benoni/Grünfeld (among other things) without having to resort to d-pawn specials all the time. This repertoire could solve many problems for me before I  just switch to 1.c4 entirely.

However, I’ve never used Chessable, and I’ve had some difficulty in finding out what it’s like. Is everything done through the MoveTrainer program, or is there any traditional analysis like you would expect in ChessPub, for example? Is there a book/index to search for a specific variation, for example?

Apologies if these questions are a little off-topic, but the website (at least to me) doesn’t make it as clear as I apparently need it to be.

Just sign up and get one of the free courses to test it out. Personally I am not a fan of the Move Trainer, I'm old school that way. On the Plus side some of the courses are quite good and some are exclusive, moreover if you really like the KIS course you could consider creating your own pgn file from it.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #44 - 06/15/19 at 03:18:54
Post Tools
Is everything done through the MoveTrainer program, or is there any traditional analysis like you would expect in ChessPub, for example? Is there a book/index to search for a specific variation, for example?

If you mean that if they give you a .pgn or .cbv download file, no, you have to move pieces on your own each line with its programme.

I believe that there is tree section where you can look at what the lines are as an overwiew. But this is not the same as when you going through lines like in ChessBase where you scroll your cursor to get through the moves.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #43 - 06/15/19 at 01:31:32
Post Tools
Burgess has a good anti-Benoni section in his Cunning repertoire book. I use a combination of his lines, Maroczy bind lines, symmetrical English lines, and lines with ...c5 d5 and Nc3 in front of the c2 pawn to avoid it (though I used to do ok against real Benonis, I just didn't enjoy it). I'm hoping Sielecki will have something interesting to add here.
« Last Edit: 06/15/19 at 20:22:26 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Pantu
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 06/14/19 at 21:58:17
Post Tools
I'm not so familiar with Chessable either, but this will be published in book format later this year (I assume by New in Chess) so you can have a standard paper book with this format if you can wait.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #41 - 06/14/19 at 19:29:40
Post Tools
I'm pretty sure that it allows the Grunfeld (the semi-symmetrical g3 lines), as well as many versions of the Benoni (though I'm not exactly sure what he proposes after 1.d4 c5 or 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5, so coukd be wrong).  If it converges with lines covered in Wojo's Weapons or Avrukh's books, there could be more work for White than you'd think.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #40 - 06/14/19 at 12:07:39
Post Tools

IP Logged

Matute
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 06/14/19 at 11:19:33
Post Tools
Yes, it seems an enormously glowing "review" is part of the bargain to become a "beta-tester" at Chessable.  (Beta-testers get the e-books for free.)

I would be interested in a thorough/objective review of the new Sielecki product.  Why is it better than similar attempts, like Wojo's weapons or the older Donaldson/Hansen Strategic Repertoire (or even Avrukh for that matter)?  The video-samples are not encouraging from my point of view.  For instance, the promotional bit about the novelty played in Ding Liren - Caruana 2019 suggests to me that the repertoire is far beyond simple.  It could have been subtitled, "Keep it simple, and outprep Caruana."

We are not gonna play Caruana though

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 06/14/19 at 10:32:22
Post Tools
Thanks Stigma, that is very enlightening. It is only sensible to want to review things where you have an interest/ background expertise.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #37 - 06/14/19 at 09:24:43
Post Tools

This is an exaggeration. There have been a number of "non-glowing" reviews from beta testers too, and the company explicitly encourages reviewers to be honest. But you have to understand the dynamic here: The beta testers volunteer for it, and usually they will volunteer only for courses they already want or are interested in, or even have in another format and already love. From that starting point they spend many hours to help improve the product. And if they have major complaints that could have resulted in a negative review, these will often be addressed and fixed before publication.

So it's not surprising that most reviews by beta testers will be very positive. Though I once helped beta test a course where the comments from us testers were negative enough that Chessable decided not to publish it in that form since it needed a lot more work from the author.

Full disclosure: I have beta tested around 7 courses for Chessable, and my reviews have been very positive. I've simply chosen to help only with courses I had every reason to believe would be excellent and relevant to me.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 06/14/19 at 01:42:18
Post Tools

Being a 1 Nf3 or 1 d4 player I'm very interested in this book (in the paper format) so I'm keeping an open mind on this new work by Sielecki....Not being a 1e4 player I didn't buy Keep It Simple 1 e4 but it did win book of the year on this site and from all accounts it is excellent.

No reason at this stage to suspect this new title won't be of similar quality.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #35 - 06/13/19 at 23:16:44
Post Tools

I would be interested in a thorough/objective review of the new Sielecki product.  Why is it better than similar attempts, like Wojo's weapons or the older Donaldson/Hansen Strategic Repertoire (or even Avrukh for that matter)?  The video-samples are not encouraging from my point of view.  For instance, the promotional bit about the novelty played in Ding Liren - Caruana 2019 suggests to me that the repertoire is far beyond simple.  It could have been subtitled, "Keep it simple, and outprep Caruana."

2078 uscf
IP Logged

JFugre

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 06/13/19 at 20:36:40
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 06/13/19 at 02:11:53:
I suspect that by book, Tony meant 'video / lines at Chessable.'

The Chessable guys are very... aggressive in trying to get their materials publicized. I mean that in a good way... mostly.

As far as reviews go, it means that every new book immediately has tens of enormously glowing reviews that are for the most part totally uncritical.

Personally I find that this makes me less likely, not more likely, to buy something...

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #33 - 06/13/19 at 20:19:52
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/13/19 at 20:11:16:

I assumed it was a book like the previous one, but apparently not (yet) Roll Eyes

They actually did it the same way the last time (KIS 1.e4). It was available online for months before New in Chess made a print book out of it. I still haven't seen the book version of that, but I assume they benefited from feedback from Chessable users to make some improvements here and there.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #32 - 06/13/19 at 20:11:16
Post Tools

I assumed it was a book like the previous one, but apparently not (yet) Roll Eyes

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #31 - 06/13/19 at 02:11:53
Post Tools

The Chessable guys are very... aggressive in trying to get their materials publicized. I mean that in a good way... mostly.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #30 - 06/13/19 at 01:24:13
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 06/13/19 at 00:48:30:
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/12/19 at 21:36:56:
How is possible if the paper book is not out until November ¿

You're referring to the publication date, which is when the book is made available to the public. The publishers will receive printed copies before that, and may choose to send some of them out to be reviewed.

I find that odd. Maybe publishers do it differently. Quality Chess if I understand correctly get their books basically in Glasgow and chess shops at around same time of their scheduled release date. So public gets books same time as publisher gets it.

I never knew that New in Chess got books earlier than public though.

In that case, why not send them immediately to chess shops instead of waiting to November ¿  Cheesy

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #29 - 06/13/19 at 00:48:30
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/12/19 at 21:36:56:

You're referring to the publication date, which is when the book is made available to the public. The publishers will receive printed copies before that, and may choose to send some of them out to be reviewed.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #28 - 06/12/19 at 21:36:56
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 06/12/19 at 15:17:15:
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/08/19 at 08:19:37:
The publishers asked us if we could review it, so if anyone wants to review the book I could get a copy sent to them.

Maybe proustiskeen ...

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #27 - 06/12/19 at 15:17:15
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/08/19 at 08:19:37:
The publishers asked us if we could review it, so if anyone wants to review the book I could get a copy sent to them.

Maybe proustiskeen ...

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 06/12/19 at 11:10:04
Post Tools
katar wrote on 06/10/19 at 17:22:27:
gillbod wrote on 05/15/19 at 21:00:44:
one of the main reasons i was sceptical of this move order was slav-type set ups from black. but chessexplained's descriptions of the arising positions from his youtube channel show that he's given this a fair bit of thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOhYkzJawKE

That game looked like a reversed London System (old mainline) in which White spent the extra tempo on g2-g3.
I am confident in Sielecki's skill as a compiler/researcher and presenter, but my initial impression is that the project does not look "simple" at all.  Looks like a ton of hard work. 

I guess it's kind of the middle road between a hardcore full blown mainline repertoire and a narrow 'system' repertoire like the London? If I understand correctly the goal is to provide a repertoire he would also recommend for his students, improving players. A repertoire that you can play at any level and one you can always expand with other lines.

It looks like his e4 repertoire has less lines so maybe is more simple. On the other hand, in this repertoire he goes way more deeper in lines to explain middle game ideas.

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #25 - 06/11/19 at 11:28:28
Post Tools
Im definitely interested in this repertoire but can see myself waiting for the book version. I’m new to Chessable and have tried one of the free sample courses (on the Petroff) and it’s not what I’m looking for personally. I want analysis, and this is (unless I’m using  it wrong) a move by move repetition trainer.

It’s also says there’s a free 3+ hour of video but how to download it is not clear, unless it comes with the. ASIC version?

That’s said, I like the overall concept of delaying c4. In particular the King’s Indian section interests me. Does he transpose into the main fianchetto lines, or play it more like Burgess’ Cunning Rep for White, with a quick Re1 and e2-e4?

IP Logged

JFugre

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 06/11/19 at 09:18:52
Post Tools
katar wrote on 06/10/19 at 17:22:27:
That game looked like a reversed London System (old mainline) in which White spent the extra tempo on g2-g3.
I am confident in Sielecki's skill as a compiler/researcher and presenter, but my initial impression is that the project does not look "simple" at all.  Looks like a ton of hard work. 

I think the "Simple" in Sielecki's books needs to be understood as meaning that you should be able to play the openings even if you forget most of the theory and only remember the general ideas, i.e. there tend to be very fewer forcing or very sharp variations.

The downside is of course that play is sometimes less principled, or on the black side, that you won't fully equalize.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #23 - 06/10/19 at 17:22:27
Post Tools
gillbod wrote on 05/15/19 at 21:00:44:
one of the main reasons i was sceptical of this move order was slav-type set ups from black. but chessexplained's descriptions of the arising positions from his youtube channel show that he's given this a fair bit of thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOhYkzJawKE

2078 uscf
IP Logged

gwnn

Reply #22 - 06/08/19 at 15:20:26
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/08/19 at 00:52:04:
It say with added video is 99,98USD. I think that that is pretty damn expensive, but that is just me.

It is almost 30 hours of video, which is more like 6 DVDs. And on chessable, you can click on a line you're interested in and it will jump to the right place in the video, that's awesome!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #21 - 06/08/19 at 08:19:37
Post Tools

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #20 - 06/08/19 at 04:15:00
Post Tools

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 06/08/19 at 01:13:30
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/08/19 at 00:52:04:
Personally with paper book only 5 USD more than Chessable at that price, I would prefer just get paper book. But if you really prefer electronic you could choose Chessable version.

I would also much prefer the paper book version....only problem is that doesn't look like being published until November and I would like to start working on it over the next few months.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #18 - 06/08/19 at 00:52:04
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 06/07/19 at 19:38:54:
FM Ajay Karthikeyan includes this:  "After 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 c5 this has proved to be the most critical approach against this universal setup from White 4.Bg2 cxd4 all this has been normal development and now comes the twist 5.O-O! I have never seen this idea in my entire chess career to be honest and this really surprised me and I got really attached to this idea."  I mentioned it in an earlier thread about this stuff, but 5. 0-0 appeared in Nunn's Chess Openings some twenty years ago (five years before Karthikeyan was born) where it was given as leading to an edge for White.

The reviewer is 15 years old ¿

MW wrote on 06/07/19 at 19:51:37:
So can someone please help an IT moron like myself ??

Good day, fellow IT moron  Cheesy. I can confirm that it is fairly easy to use. You just follow moves given in each line and play them back. You have to actually move pieces though, like when playing online blitz instead of rolling cursor like ChessBase.

Anything else I should know before I decide whether or not to invest?

If I see correctly, it is 25USD (24,99USD which is essentially 25USD but you know).

It say with added video is 99,98USD. I think that that is pretty damn expensive, but that is just me. Personally I think that electronic should cost less than 20€ since paper book you actually can hold in your hand.

Compared with ChessBase DWD with files around same price.

For Amazon, I found: https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Simple-1-d4-Straightforward-Repertoire/dp/9056918672

Shows basically 30USD. So Chessable is 5USD less.

Personally with paper book only 5 USD more than Chessable at that price, I would prefer just get paper book. But if you really prefer electronic you could choose Chessable version.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 06/07/19 at 22:21:17
Post Tools
OK Thank you

IP Logged

JFugre

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 06/07/19 at 21:35:25
Post Tools
MW wrote on 06/07/19 at 21:30:04:
JFugre wrote on 06/07/19 at 20:44:04:
It's a website. It will work on anything that runs a web browser. Laptop, Android, tablet, desktop machine

Thank you, that is very helpful....

So could you say it runs a little like Chess365 but you can only access the opening titles you have paid for?

Yes. They have a number of free courses, so you can test it out with those before paying for anything.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 06/07/19 at 21:30:04
Post Tools
JFugre wrote on 06/07/19 at 20:44:04:
It's a website. It will work on anything that runs a web browser. Laptop, Android, tablet, desktop machine

Thank you, that is very helpful....

So could you say it runs a little like Chess365 but you can only access the opening titles you have paid for?

IP Logged

JFugre

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 06/07/19 at 20:44:04
Post Tools
I have
Does it run off a laptop or do you need some kind of android device?

It's a website. It will work on anything that runs a web browser. Laptop, Android, tablet, desktop machine...

Quote:
And is the download very big....whilst we do have ultra fast broadband in the cities I live in a rural area so we still only have the old copper wire which isn't terribly quick?

The video part of the course adapts its resolution to your connection.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 06/07/19 at 19:51:37
Post Tools
I have always preferred books to any IT format but looks as if the book won't be out until much later this year...

So can someone please help an IT moron like myself ??

Is Chessable easy to use?

Does it run off a laptop or do you need some kind of android device?

I guess you need an app or something in the first instance?

And is the download very big....whilst we do have ultra fast broadband in the cities I live in a rural area so we still only have the old copper wire which isn't terribly quick?

Anything else I should know before I decide whether or not to invest?

Thanks

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #12 - 06/07/19 at 19:38:54
Post Tools
A minor remark -- I noticed that a comment/review at Chessable by FM Ajay Karthikeyan includes this:  "After 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.g3 c5 this has proved to be the most critical approach against this universal setup from White 4.Bg2 cxd4 all this has been normal development and now comes the twist 5.O-O! I have never seen this idea in my entire chess career to be honest and this really surprised me and I got really attached to this idea."  I mentioned it in an earlier thread about this stuff, but 5. 0-0 appeared in Nunn's Chess Openings some twenty years ago (five years before Karthikeyan was born) where it was given as leading to an edge for White.

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 06/07/19 at 18:48:55
Post Tools
It is out now on Chessable.

Nice introduction/overview video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqpz2SoSOK8

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 05/15/19 at 21:00:44
Post Tools

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 05/13/19 at 08:17:19
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 05/11/19 at 20:37:15:
How do people keep finding these upcoming titles ¿ They never show up on the publisher websites...

I clicked on author's name on Amazon, after I was on the 1.e4 book, and the 1.d4 book showed up. So I found it accidentaly.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 05/13/19 at 04:41:17
Post Tools
doefmat wrote on 05/12/19 at 17:29:55:
Btw;I think the november date is maybe for the paper version? Because I think the original publisher is Chessable. They probably going to release that first, and the paper book much later.

I watched some of his latest Geschwätzblitz/banter blitz and noticed him saying such things as:  the online version will come out first; I have finished writing but it still needs to be checked; the whole thing will be done in three months.

A bit funny:  in the banter blitz 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. g3 Bg7 4. Bg2 0-0 5. 0-0 d5 6. c4 occurred, at which point Sielecki commented, "I analyzed this during the past two weeks."  Then the opponent played the odd 6...e6.  "I didn't analyze that."
« Last Edit: 05/13/19 at 15:07:04 by kylemeister »  

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 05/12/19 at 17:29:55
Post Tools
I wonder if it will have more or less theory/lines compared to his KIS 1.e4 repertoire.
As a low rated amateur who tries to improve I should probably stick to 1.e4 but sometimes it's tempting to switch.

Btw;I think the november date is maybe for the paper version? Because I think the original publisher is Chessable. They probably going to release that first, and the paper book much later.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 05/12/19 at 16:06:16
Post Tools
nocteus wrote on 05/12/19 at 10:19:45:
Which lines exactly?

He just referred to 1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. g3 c6.

IP Logged

nocteus

'Help your pieces, they
will help you.' Morphy

Reply #5 - 05/12/19 at 10:19:45
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 05/11/19 at 16:20:43:
I'm reminded of John Cox commenting that that way of playing can result in "some very tepid anti-Slav g3 fiasco," but that is perhaps a bit harsh.

Which lines exactly?

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 05/12/19 at 00:12:31
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 05/11/19 at 20:37:15:
How do people keep finding these upcoming titles ¿ They never show up on the publisher websites...

Nothing top secret. Go to Amazon, click on books, then advanced search. I search on keyword chess, and pub date after the current month. Or you can search on each publisher.  Hope this helps, and if anyone has an easier/different method, please share.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/11/19 at 21:09:54
Post Tools
Looks like a nice companion to ZOOM by Zeuthen and Larsen.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #2 - 05/11/19 at 20:37:15
Post Tools

If he recommends Catalán, the plan is simple but the theory is insane. Still looking forward to bok  Cheesy

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 05/11/19 at 16:20:43
Post Tools
I'm reminded of John Cox commenting that that way of playing can result in "some very tepid anti-Slav g3 fiasco," but that is perhaps a bit harsh.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Keep It Simple 1.d4 by Sielecki
05/11/19 at 16:01:00
Post Tools
I now see from Amazon that "Keep It Simple 1.d4" book by Sielecki will follow his award-winning 1.e4 book. The book will focus on 1.d4 2.Nf3 3.g3 4.0-0 vs. most Black lines, with an eventual 6.c4 to follow, and focus on clear explanations of plans and strategies. I am definitely excited about this book. Publication date is 20 Nov. 2019, so it will be some time...

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo