Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New version of LcO (Read 29669 times)
MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New version of LcO
Reply #42 - 09/12/19 at 21:30:42
Post Tools
It probably won't be running very well on a laptop? Much happier running on a decent GPU.

Its very classical and likes space, which are obviously somewhat arguable things. I've generally found it to 'feel' really quite sensible with its +/= sort of claims.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #41 - 09/12/19 at 21:08:01
Post Tools
I find that it tends to favour White in a lot of positions that I do not see White's advantage, and where Komodo usually gives =.

It is very heavy on the battery though. I cannot use Leela without having my laptop charged into the socket, or else it might turn off by itself.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #40 - 09/12/19 at 19:40:39
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 09/12/19 at 17:02:42:
It is a bit hidden in the article but if you also read the comments next to the moves then you can find the real reason why I am so fond of using Lc0.

I did read those comments before. Although I can appreciate that you like Lc0, it's far from shown that it's necessary.

brabo wrote on 09/12/19 at 17:02:42:
There were probably more than 100 positions I needed to check in just a couple of hours. Books and databases are nice if you have lots of time but Leela is a real asset when you don't have time.

This is 180 degrees the opposite of the way that I prepare for an opponent. I make my preparations well ahead of time, i.e. just after a game, either one of mine against them or one I found published somewhere. I have files on likely opponents, or if I don't have a file on them then I just pick the most appropriate of one of my usual openings. Right before the game I spend a few minutes refreshing my memory from the correct file.

Trying to make new preparations shortly before a game just leads me to play worse. With only a couple of hours available, a better investment of my time is to relax, go for a one-hour walk, work a few tactics puzzles, and refresh my memory as above. Not necessarily in that order.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #39 - 09/12/19 at 18:11:44
Post Tools
brabo, of interest to you might be https://github.com/dkappe/leela-chess-weights/wiki/Bad-Gyal , or perhaps even https://github.com/dkappe/leela-chess-weights/wiki/Mean-Girl:--the-most-fun-leel...

These aren't as strong as Stockfish (or even base Leela), but have their own sets of ideas, and might be more useful for 'practical' preparation / analysis than the 'godly' engines, in particular if you aren't a 2800+ player.

Bad Gyal 7 in particular is supposedly quite good at finding ideas that work nicely against humans.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #38 - 09/12/19 at 17:02:42
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 09/12/19 at 13:26:05:
brabo wrote on 09/11/19 at 17:20:56:
I finally found some time to write a small review on my blog of why we should use Lc0: https://chess-brabo.blogspot.com/2019/09/leela-lc0.html

Thanks, there's a lot of ideas in that blog post, but to my mind it does not quite explain why we should use Lc0. We can construct several related propositions:
  1. We should prepare.
  2. We should prepare with an engine.
  3. We should prepare with the latest engine.
  4. We should prepare with a specific engine.

(In the above chain, for "engine" we could substitute "book" or "database"; for the professionals additionally "second" or "team".)

For example, I think in your game against Guy Baete, you could have won by preparing the same opening without an engine, just using the database, so I don't see it as an argument in favor of Lc0 per se.

It is a bit hidden in the article but if you also read the comments next to the moves then you can find the real reason why I am so fond of using Lc0.
"I started recently to use Leela when I want a quick answer in a game-preparation for an early opening-position which I didn't analyze before."

At this moment I practically only use Leela for that purpose. Besides I also want to add that my opponent Guy Baete played something very different to the line I discuss. There were probably more than 100 positions I needed to check in just a couple of hours. Books and databases are nice if you have lots of time but Leela is a real asset when you don't have time.

My articles are full of those hidden pieces of advice. It is a way to get some interaction with the readers which are interested in the subject and avoid trolls.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #37 - 09/12/19 at 13:26:05
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 09/11/19 at 17:20:56:
I finally found some time to write a small review on my blog of why we should use Lc0: https://chess-brabo.blogspot.com/2019/09/leela-lc0.html

Thanks, there's a lot of ideas in that blog post, but to my mind it does not quite explain why we should use Lc0. We can construct several related propositions:
  1. We should prepare.
  2. We should prepare with an engine.
  3. We should prepare with the latest engine.
  4. We should prepare with a specific engine.

(In the above chain, for "engine" we could substitute "book" or "database"; for the professionals additionally "second" or "team".)

For example, I think in your game against Guy Baete, you could have won by preparing the same opening without an engine, just using the database, so I don't see it as an argument in favor of Lc0 per se.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 09/11/19 at 20:32:56
Post Tools
In some ways I think that's especially true for ameteurs & openings - LC0 is very strongly classical in its tastes and isn't remotely as prone to lines purely depending on tactics as say Stockfish is.

So you get very reliable opening ideas. Useful for fallible memories!

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #35 - 09/11/19 at 17:20:56
Post Tools

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 07/08/19 at 21:47:56
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 06/28/19 at 14:51:37:
tony37 wrote on 06/28/19 at 14:43:01:
@brabo: I also would assume that the more recent networks should be better than number 42000, and yet I see on the rating list that for example number 42600 has 25 elo less, while having a much higher ordo elo. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. And of course not all the networks are on that list.

Have you also tested some version of Leelafish?

No, I have only limited resources available. In fact I wouldn't do those tests if there were good benchmarks available. Progress of Lc0 is so fast that any tests are quickly becoming outdated.

the LCZ rating list now finally gives network number 42700 as better than 42000, so I'm definitely switching to that one

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 07/05/19 at 10:36:43
Post Tools
I do know that you have to compile it yourself to run it with Linux. If that helps, I have no experience with Linux, hope this helps. You are welcome.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #32 - 07/04/19 at 16:41:14
Post Tools
I don't cover Linux installs, only Windows -> Chessbase.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #31 - 07/04/19 at 10:17:57
Post Tools
Thank you for answering.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 07/04/19 at 09:30:06
Post Tools
John Hartmann (sp?) has a youtube clip about installing LcO that looks very useful.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 07/03/19 at 15:31:08
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 07/03/19 at 10:20:40:
Is there any forum with help for running Lc0 under Linux? Couldn't find it by my search, in the Lc0-blog or the github-site. Which hardware should I get, as I have only at least five yo pc's without extra graphic card?

I've managed to compile and run it on Linux. But if you want to buy new hardware I suppose you want some Nvidia card and I have no experience with that. But when I google I find several guides how to install proprietary Nvidia drivers.
In my case it helped installing a recent Linux kernel (5.0 or 5.1), otherwise my mouse was hanging while running Lc0.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 07/03/19 at 11:14:27
Post Tools
I think some people run LcO with an internal graphics card. The best place I know of is LcO.org. There is a getting started section. There may be something on youtube of course.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo