Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New version of LcO (Read 7550 times)
Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Re: New version of LcO
Reply #12 - 06/26/19 at 22:02:22
Post Tools
I deleted and tried installing Leela again. Now says "there is exception" and "there is failure in the engine" before crashing.

I think that installing this thing is harder than playing against it...

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 06/25/19 at 13:01:58
Post Tools
I have noticed that, it seems,  Houdini's move choices are more like LcO than either Komodo or Stockfish. Just an observation, I certainly haven't done any sort of research.

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #10 - 06/24/19 at 19:42:41
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/24/19 at 03:32:28:
I find that in blocked or closed/fixed-pawn structure type positions, Stockfish overestimates and gives me bullshit evaluations. I feel like I have to subtract at least 0,50 from side with space advantage.

If I think Stockfish is being too optimistic, I switch to Houdini.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #9 - 06/24/19 at 03:32:28
Post Tools
I find that in blocked or closed/fixed-pawn structure type positions, Stockfish overestimates and gives me bullshit evaluations. I feel like I have to subtract at least 0,50 from side with space advantage.

I know not how Leela is in positional evaluation, but I feel like there has to be way to get more realastic view of Komodo's over-emphasis on positional and Stockfish's over-emphasis on tactics and space.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 06/23/19 at 21:45:39
Post Tools
There are definite differences in LcO analysis and Stockfish/Komod because the neural network is a different arrangement than SF and Komodo use. Of course they are going to find the same move at times, but LcO is stronger and different.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #7 - 06/23/19 at 21:11:37
Post Tools
I have Intel HD 620 graphics card.

In any case, Leela never loads.

To find tactical stuff, I run Stockfish 10 for hours. I cannot waste any more time with this Leela installation.

Komodo 10, however seems more positional than tactical. If really needed I use both Stockfish 10 and Komodo 10 to make sure no blunder. Stockfish seems to give me overestimations in positional/blocked position.

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 06/23/19 at 16:34:02
Post Tools
trw wrote on 06/23/19 at 14:52:36:
If you just have a cpu and no GPU then don't bother, it will be an utter waste of your time and not give you any analysis worth a crap. You need a strong GPU.

This isn't even necessarily true.
When analysing some French lines, Leela more than once happened to give better analysis than Stockfish (the reverse was also true). A very concrete example is 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.a3 Bxc3+ 6.bxc3 Ne7 7.Qg4 O-O 8.Bd3 Nbc6 9.Nf3 f5 10.Qg3 Qb6 and here Leela finds (after 4 minutes on very inadequate hardware, i.e. some 30 nodes per second) the crushing move 11.Bh6, the most entertaining continuation being 11...Ng6 12.h4 c4 13.h5 Qb2 14.hxg6 Qxc3+ 15.Kf1 Qxa1+ 16.Ke2 Qxh1 17.gxh7+ with mate in 6 to come.
But Stockfish and Komodo 10 seem to be blind to this (after 400 million nodes, with PV each time at 3), even when you suggest 11.Bh6 to them, they don't see the point. Maybe Houdini is different but I don't have a recent version of it.
So even on suboptimal hardware, running Leela in a few very specific/unclear positions can be really interesting. But I'd agree that using it as your main engine is not workable without good GPU.

edit: after 600 million nodes (11 minutes when I only use one CPU core) Stockfish finds 11.Bh6 at last; Komodo is a real dumbass here, still doesn't have a clue after 3.5 billion nodes, I'm pretty sure Houdini would do better
The difference is clearest when you start analyzing from 10...Qb6 11.Bh6 Ng6. Leela sees 12.h4 almost immediately, while Stockfish easily takes a minute. Even when I use only CPU for Leela (using the openblas-backend) it is still faster than Stockfish using 2 cores. At a ridiculous 5 nodes per second!
« Last Edit: 06/23/19 at 19:35:26 by tony37 »  

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/23/19 at 14:52:36
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 06/22/19 at 22:53:50:
This is still pain in the arse. Why cannot they make it without having to download these network files ¿

I tried it again and it still just gives me blank window in the evaluation section of ChessBase board.

I only have i7 Windows 10. Not sure if that is slow or fast, but the only way that I can get this Leela installed is if I bring my computer to some tech person who knows what they are doing, so that they can install it for me.  Shocked

If you just have a cpu and no GPU then don't bother, it will be an utter waste of your time and not give you any analysis worth a crap. You need a strong GPU.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 06/22/19 at 23:38:23
Post Tools
You have to have the network. Did you download the files?

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #3 - 06/22/19 at 22:53:50
Post Tools
This is still pain in the arse. Why cannot they make it without having to download these network files ¿

I tried it again and it still just gives me blank window in the evaluation section of ChessBase board.

I only have i7 Windows 10. Not sure if that is slow or fast, but the only way that I can get this Leela installed is if I bring my computer to some tech person who knows what they are doing, so that they can install it for me.  Shocked

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 06/22/19 at 22:29:42
Post Tools
I looked on the LcO blog, there is a post about the newest version. You do the download, extract the files to a folder. I called my folder LcO. You need to download a network, extract it to the same folder. You have to make sure the network file is named weights. Run the client. Then you install the LcO engine to CB or whatever gui you are using. The default settings work fine for me.
If you have a really good comp, you want a 40 network, medium comp you should use a 20, not so new you want a 10 network.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #1 - 06/22/19 at 21:52:11
Post Tools
How easy ¿ With Stockfish or Komodo all required is to download, extract files, then add to ChessBase. Is new version of Leela as easy as these two ¿

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

New version of LcO
06/22/19 at 13:30:32
Post Tools
The newest version, changes to evaluation. Easy to set up and free, why not?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo