Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) No update in 1.d4 d5 2.c4 section (Read 17584 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: No update in 1.d4 d5 2.c4 section
Reply #22 - 08/23/19 at 14:50:33
Post Tools
OK, the section is finally back on track! Smiley
Many thanks to Glenn and David for their help, I've personally found the updates even more interesting than usual - different writers are interested in different opening lines!
I see that Max hasn't even looked at my messages on Facebook/Messenger so it is definitely time to find a good replacement, however, I will first ask Ruslan if he is free, you never know! Wink

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #21 - 08/11/19 at 12:36:54
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 08/07/19 at 22:22:40:
But honestly, I think that by the penultimate week of the month, it would be good if all sections already have their monthy updates.

OK, I've managed to get all the updates (that I'd actually received) online, even one from August. I've also written to Max again as, apparently, he has just written something new for chess.com. Here's hoping, but if he doesn't reply I will get someone to do his July update and then find a permanent replacement form August onwards.
Many thanks to David Vigorito for stepping in for the May and June updates Cool

Leon_Trotsky wrote on 08/07/19 at 22:22:40:
Maybe I just come from stricter society, but just one overdue thing and the boss can already call the person into the office and say, "Why you submitted this late ¿"

Well, I do send emails to them asking this, but I realise that many GMs have a very busy schedule and are constantly travelling, so I can't be too strict.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #20 - 08/11/19 at 12:24:11
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 08/08/19 at 15:16:28:
It looks like this thread is veering off course, I might splice the Dragon ones into the appropriate section unless anyone objects?

Done!

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #19 - 08/07/19 at 22:22:40
Post Tools
Does not just 6. Ag5 in the Najdorf alone have more theory than all of traditional Dragon, Chinese Dragon, Accelerated Dragon, Hiperaccelerated Dragon and Dragadorf combined ¿ But Najdorf does not have her own section Cheesy

But honestly, I think that by the penultimate week of the month, it would be good if all sections already have their monthy updates.

Maybe I just come from stricter society, but just one overdue thing and the boss can already call the person into the office and say, "Why you submitted this late ¿"

IP Logged

FrenchRefutes1e4
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 08/02/19 at 20:47:26
Post Tools
sanaz wrote on 08/01/19 at 12:16:44:
I am fairly new to this site and don't know much about how it was in the past but today is the first of August and only 6 sections have been updated for July  Huh.

I have subscribed on and off to this site (right now, I'm only subscribed to the French section).

Just to give you an idea, a few sections I have almost never seen be late, such as the sections on the French and Daring Defenses.

Some sections tend to be on time most months, but they are human, and occasionally might be late, such as the 1.e4 e5 or Open Sicilian or King's Indian sections.

However, certain sections are Notorious for being tardy, sometimes by as much as 10 days or slightly more, and one section is a total ripoff!  The Dragon and Nimzo sections were frequently tardy during the times I was subscribed to the whole site, but only the Dragon section is a total ripoff.  Do some research!  If you go to the French or Open Sicilian or King's Indian sections, you will see roughly 8 to 10 games annotated per section per month.

Dragons?  Sis!  Every Month!  Six!  That's 72 games a year versus 96 to 120!  60 to 75 percent production of the other authors!  Same price!  If you can't come up with more than 6 games a month, maybe the sections are poorly arranged.  What's so special about Dragons that they get their own section?  They aren't even the most popular Open Sicilian (Najdorf).

Long story short, most sections tend to be on time, and d4 d5 was one of those, but it looks like a staff walk-out with no "Two week notice".  Normally d4 d5 hasn't been this bad and would usually see decent turn-around for articles.  I don't see myself subscribing to more than 3 at a time any more (French, King's Indian, and maybe whatever I'm working on that year as White - probably change year to year if I do 3 that year), and again, only subscribed to 1 right now, but overall, I'd give this site a thumbs up for most of the sections.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #17 - 08/01/19 at 17:23:13
Post Tools
I do give Max a lot of slack, I really like his updates but I do agree that it might be time to find someone else, especially if he has really decided to quit chess. I haven't had any contact from him for a long time, but this is a fairly common occurrence, I'm afraid. Sad
Regarding the other updates, I'm afraid that is partially my fault as I had hoped to have received them before I went on holiday, but many came after I set off.
I will get them online when I return home in a few days ... and that will include a 1 d4 d5 update.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #16 - 08/01/19 at 15:12:17
Post Tools
I've been a subscriber for over a decade and I don't remember so many sections ever all being late at once. There are usually one or two stragglers, which it seems people are prepared to tolerate, but when half the sections are overdue – one of them by two months – without explanation or apology, I wonder if there are serious problems.

I've contacted ChessPublishing and I hope this will provoke some reaction soon.

IP Logged

sanaz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 08/01/19 at 12:16:44
Post Tools
I am fairly new to this site and don't know much about how it was in the past but today is the first of August and only 6 sections have been updated for July  Huh.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #14 - 07/30/19 at 22:27:31
Post Tools
Agree entirely with Seeley, yes.
It’s about the service provided by the business, not the individuals hired to do it. A possible parallel: if your letters do not get delivered for a few months, you would be upset with the postal service, not the dear postie who may have been off sick, or changed jobs, or whatever.
FWIW, I have found Max Illingworth’s contributions to be top class, on par with Eric Prie’s from back in the day. Top of the Pub Smiley Thank you to Max thus far. Plenty of thoughtful and helpful material. Deep and broad.

@Tony K - can we get a stand in or a f/t replacement pls? Keep up-to-date and keep customers happy.

Best regards to all. Stay cool in the heat y’all (it’s gonna be 35-36C today where I am here).

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #13 - 07/30/19 at 21:35:48
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 07/30/19 at 20:41:37:
@Seeley: I was reacting to this comment of yours:
Seeley wrote on 07/29/19 at 21:43:02:
So the answer to your question appears to be no. I fail to understand why this is relevant, though.

My point being it was indeed relevant to check if there was coinciding radio silence in different channels, even though it turns out there probably wasn't. There's no contradiction here. We couldn't know before we checked.

Thank you for clarifying, Stigma. In fact I'd understood what you were saying and I apologise if I failed to make this clear in my response.What I'm questioning is the relevance of any sort of discussion here regarding this particular contributor in the context of a query about the lack of updates to this part of the site. Max's most recent contribution appeared in April, and my view is that three-and-a-bit months really is more than long enough for alternative arrangements - whether temporary or permanent - to have been put in place by Chess Publishing so that customers receive the service they've paid for. Why and when Max Illingworth's contributions stopped are behind-the-scenes matters for Tony and Max to sort out between themselves, and incidental to the question of why this section is not being updated at all - by someone else, if necessary.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #12 - 07/30/19 at 21:11:34
Post Tools
sanaz wrote on 07/25/19 at 01:13:48:
And again over two months and no update.

I wish my Subscription Renewal date was sometimes two months late, but alas no such luck.  Undecided

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #11 - 07/30/19 at 20:41:37
Post Tools
@Seeley: I was reacting to this comment of yours:
So the answer to your question appears to be no. I fail to understand why this is relevant, though.

My point being that it was indeed relevant to check if there was coinciding radio silence in different channels, even though it turns out there probably wasn't. There's no contradiction here. We couldn't know before we checked it.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

whatteaux

Reply #10 - 07/30/19 at 05:12:48
Post Tools
Note that Max also has a YouTube channel, which he advertised (with contact details in the signature) in early March here:
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17504-GM-Max-Illingworth-s-Youtube-Chann...
...after announcing his retirement from competitive chess here:
https://www.chess.com/blog/Illingworth/announcing-my-retirement-from-competitive...

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #9 - 07/30/19 at 00:50:13
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 07/29/19 at 23:02:37:
Maybe the relevance is if it turned out he suddenly stopped responding on several different platforms (including ChessPublishing and mail) at roughly the same time, something could have happened. Health issues, etc.

I checked his FIDE profile, and his last rated tournament registered there ended on February 23rd (the Oceania Open Zonal on Guam).

Updates to Max's Patreon page ceased in October 2018, his last rated tournament was in February 2019 and his most recent update on Chess Publishing appeared in April this year, so it looks as though his activity on various platforms stopped at different times. Of course, this doesn't preclude the possibility that 'something could have happened', but it offers no evidence to support that assertion either.
I wish Max nothing but the best and I very much hope all is well with him. Furthermore, I appreciate and enjoy the quality of the work he produces in his contributions to this site and I hope we'll see more of it in the future – but none of this is directly relevant to the OP's question, which is why one section of the site has been allowed to fall so far behind schedule, and I think this thread is becoming derailed by focusing on speculation regarding the circumstances of an individual contributor. If Max is unable to produce updates for several months, for whatever reason that might be, then alternative arrangements should be put in place. This is a commercial enterprise, not a hobbyist's blog.

Stigma wrote on 07/29/19 at 23:02:37:
... or maybe the point was just his Patreon page could have been another way of getting in touch with him if it was still being updated

A very good suggestion. Perhaps Tony could give this a try if he hasn't done so already.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #8 - 07/29/19 at 23:02:37
Post Tools
LMGTFY. According to Max Illingworth's Patreon page:
'I am no longer updating this page, as I was unable to get enough interest to justify the amount of work needed to keep up daily updates.' The most recent content dates from October last year.

Maybe the relevance is if it turned out he suddenly stopped responding on several different platforms (including ChessPublishing and mail) at roughly the same time, something could have happened. Health issues, etc.

I checked his FIDE profile, and his last rated tournament registered there ended on February 23rd (the Oceania Open Zonal on Guam).

... or maybe the point was just his Patreon page could have been another way of getting in touch with him if it was still being updated.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo