Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Questions about attacking players (Read 2618 times)
Jupp53
God Member

be

Re: Questions about attacking players
Reply #13 - 07/17/19 at 01:52:41
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 07/13/19 at 17:00:30:
... First published in the GDR 1972 as Schönheit der Kombination by Sportverlag Berlin. --- I imagine the German is in algebraic notation. ...

Indeed. It is in algebraic notation.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #12 - 07/13/19 at 17:00:30
Post Tools
English Descriptive notation. This edition [c] The Crowood Press 1989. First published in the GDR 1972 as Schönheit der Kombination by Sportverlag Berlin. First published in Great Britain 1976 as Chess Combination as a Fine Art by Pitman Publishing Ltd. I imagine the German is in algebraic notation.

The book is not about Richter ("K. Richter" has five entries in the index). It is a collection of his columns, edited by Golz and Keres. The sources are not explicitly given, but Keres mentions "the various chess periodicals, and particularly in Deutsche Schachblätter and in Schach..."

IP Logged

ernie
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 07/13/19 at 15:54:55
Post Tools
In English the only reasonably-priced book I can find on Richter is Chess Combinations as a Fine Art by Golz, pub. by Crowood 1990.
Does anyone know the notation used ? I no longer struggle with descriptive, although it was what I learned sixty years ago.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #10 - 07/12/19 at 19:00:46
Post Tools
Pawnpusher wrote on 07/12/19 at 10:32:53:
Does Kurt Ricter qualify as a great attacker?

At least two generations learned attacking with Kurt Richter's books and games here in Germany.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 07/12/19 at 10:32:53
Post Tools
Thanks Ernie, I remembered him, but spelling Nezhmetdinov consistently is a bear. Great attacker. Does Kurt Ricter qualify as a great attacker?

IP Logged

ernie
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 07/12/19 at 02:28:21
Post Tools
Rashid Nezhmetdinov of Kazan, 1912 - 1974 was the greatest attacking player.
He was several times Russian Champion and Tal's second in the World Championship match.
His technique has been summarized as sacrificing a pawn for the initiative and then heading for opponents king.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 07/08/19 at 10:37:30
Post Tools
Jacob Aagaard's Attacking Manual is a very good book. I still think looking over Tal's games is hugely useful. Another possibility is Alexi Shirov and the Fire on Board books.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 07/07/19 at 14:45:58
Post Tools
msiipola wrote on 07/07/19 at 06:13:20:
ErictheRed wrote on 07/06/19 at 15:21:34:
...to finish my book

What book?

His book for Everyman on the Modern Samisch
https://everymanchess.com/products/opening-repertoire-the-caro-kann-1

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #5 - 07/07/19 at 09:56:35
Post Tools
Vukovic's Art of Attack is wonderful. He demystifies the attacking process and treats it scientifically, which is just what I needed. He chooses the Greek gift on h7 as an example for deep exploration, devoting a chapter to it. The last chapters, on phases of the attack and achieving the maximum attacking potential with the minimum degree of commitment, are tremendous.

Grooten's  book, which I have on Forward Chess, is really a book on attacking calculation at the stage close to the checkmate--for example, typical patterns of cooperation between queen and bishop, queen and knight, etc. It might complement the Vukovic nicely, but I think it might be somewhat demoralizing because the examples vary heavily, sometimes getting quite difficult, and there is no indication that the student might learn to attack  without becoming capable of such feats. Even the simpler example given for opening a diagonal with NxPf6 needs analysis that is deep and wide, with a side variation that goes out to 24 ply and a tempting losing move 12 ply in; the more complex example is one that Botvinnik felt he shouldn't calculate during a game!

Better for improving at this "close work," in my opinion, is 1000 Checkmates by Victor Henkin (=Khenkin, but not today's Igor Khenkin, rather Tal's contemporary). Like Yusupov's books, this book consists of instructive examples followed by exercises--a much better division of material. Khenkin's style is pleasant and urbane; Tal wrote the preface--the book used to be called "Tal's 'Winning Chess Combinations.'". After going through just the first two chapters, I started spotting and sometimes executing more checkmates.
« Last Edit: 07/08/19 at 12:09:08 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

msiipola

Reply #4 - 07/07/19 at 06:13:20
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 07/06/19 at 15:21:34:
...to finish my book

What book?

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 07/06/19 at 15:21:34
Post Tools
I love Spielmann's The Art of Sacrifice in Chess.  It's a very practical book without the insane amount of calculation required by Kasparov-level attacking play, for instance, but still chess at a very high level.  I consider it required reading for developing players.   

If I ever have more time for chess (I haven't worked on chess at all for five or six years, except to finish my book), for my own personal development  I plan on reading Attacking Chess for Club Players by Hermann Grooten.  His work is very, very good. 

I also loved Valeri Beim's How to Play Dynamic Chess.  Everyone gushes about Suba's Dynamic Chess Strategy, but for some reason it never sucked me in and I didn't get much out of it (though I only read the first 40 pages or so).

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #2 - 07/06/19 at 12:36:44
Post Tools
Are you a naturally positional player who wants to learn how to attack? That was me at one point. If so, I can advise you.

Tal's attacks are not something to imitate unless you like unsound risks. Alekhine, Keres, and Spassky, on the other hand, prepared and developed their attacks superbly.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/06/19 at 11:13:27
Post Tools
Tal leaps to mind.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Questions about attacking players
07/05/19 at 02:33:57
Post Tools
Hi all, I wanted to start studying more attacking players and thought of questions. What are the best attacking players to study? Is there any book on an attacking player that stands out? Can attacking players be classified in different categories? I guess what I am getting at are maybe some are sackers, maybe build up there positions, etc...? Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo