Latest Updates:
Normal Topic New Book on the Hippopotomus Defence (Read 619 times)
TD

Feyenoord forever!

Re: New Book on the Hippopotomus Defence
Reply #3 - 07/22/19 at 14:13:58
Post Tools
I like this book very much. Many games and much explanations.

I recently bought The Hippo System (Mongredien Edition) from Briffoz & Gifford. That is also a very interesting book, with half of the contents about the White Hippo!

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/09/19 at 04:32:59
Post Tools
Thank-you Leon_Trotsky...I have long had a fascination with fianchetto opens as both black and white...they have also provided me with good results in ICCF so I'll buy the book!

I also like the idea of complete games in this particular opening.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #1 - 07/09/19 at 01:26:43
Post Tools
I had already have this book, but not New in Chess. This book I believe is just translation of the Italian book Difesa Ippopotamo 2.0 e Semi-Ippopotamo by empresa ,,Le due torri". I bought it last year when it first published in Italy.

It is quite big for Hippoportamus book. I imagine that New in Chess version is quite big too. Chapters are divided by theme and pawn structure rather than explicit variation. Por example, there are chapters with titles ,,Da centro di re a centro francese" and ,,Da centro classico a centro siciliano".

I remember that Quality Chess book The Modern Tiger only gives Hippopotamus against White's Classical setup against Pirc/Modern with bitchop on e2. In this book by De Santis he recommends Hippopotamus against basically everything. In the introduction in the Italian version, I see that he writes, La difesa Ippopotamo  è un sistema "universale" di gioco negli scacchi, che il nero può adottare praticamente contro tutte le aperture del bianco.

The format is complete games rather than tree with variations cut at the end. Perhaps this makes more sense since the whole reason for playing Hippopotamus is to play based on ideas instead of computer-generated long theorretical variations. Most of the commentary in the annotated games are words instead of long variations.

It basically the newest complete book on Hippopotamus, I would recommend it if you like these double fianchetto setups.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

New Book on the Hippopotomus Defence
07/08/19 at 22:35:50
Post Tools
Anyone brought this new book by De Santis ....if so how does it stack-up?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo