Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Igor Rausis caught cheating in Strasbourg (Read 4183 times)
trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Igor Rausis caught cheating in Strasbourg
Reply #18 - 10/14/20 at 19:27:28
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 10/14/20 at 16:15:48:
[quote author=3D2D3E3D305F0 link=1563033832/14#14 date=1602669946]
I will end this post by saying that Rausis' 6 year ban and public humiliation was quite sufficient for his first time offense, but by retroactively stripping him of the GM title begs the question why was French GM Sébastien Feller title not similarly revoked for his cheating offence.

I'd argue this is a worthy point to discuss and think about; at the very least standardization of punishment...

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #17 - 10/14/20 at 16:22:52
Post Tools
The problem is that people find different things fun. When I was a boy I thought catching frogs was fun. It was a contest of reaction time. I always released them, and I don't think they suffered any harm, except the fright. There was another boy who thought torturing frogs was fun. I didn't like it, and it took me a few years of growing up to realize it might be best not to spend any more time around him.

So in chess. There is the fun of: playing a game; being challenged intellectually; overcoming the opponent in competition; evading detection when cheating. So I agree the cheaters are ruining my fun.

But I also realize that my hypercompetitiveness ruins the fun for many people who just want to play a game. A gentleman in a Brussels cafe once interrupted my hard thinking with "It's not amusing." Later I became strong enough, "casual" play became much simpler, as I can pretend not to care. They don't need to know I am analyzing blindfold while not looking at the board. Although I did have a young tyke, who often practiced against his father, explain to me that since I was so strong I was supposed to purposely play bad moves once in a while in order to "give him a chance". Oops, sorry, not sorry.

Kasimi suggests, in his chess.com interview (TD's second link), it was an overwhelming desire not to lose that led him to cheat. Almost against his will, he seems to imply. Competitiveness run amuck. For me, if I were to cheat, it wouldn't be winning anyway. Maybe cheaters think differently about that, or maybe their motivation is different from what they admit, even to themselves. I don't really know. But it does ruin my fun.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #16 - 10/14/20 at 16:15:48
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 10/14/20 at 10:05:46:
https://www.chess.com/member/isakasimi
In February 2020 (so this year after what happened last year with Igor Rausis) Isa Kasimi was also banned on chess.com for violating fair play policy.

That brings me to another interesting topic about cheating which recently occurred with a Belgian player. Should online cheating have repercussions also in offline chess? I mean if you cheated online and you are banned there, should this also lead to a ban for offline chess (and visa versa)? Often it is hard to know who is behind the alias in online chess but in the case of the Belgian player it was easy as he was playing the online olympiad in which people had to show their real name.

For sure many people already left chess because of the recurrent problems we are having due to cheating. As Jupp53 already implied, chess is just a game and if there is no fun at it then people will just do other things.

Chess is very alive today but things can change of course and sometimes a decline goes very quickly. Wait and let live is a risky track.

I find the characterization that chess is just a game very demeaning, sure it's just a game for amateurs but for many professionals it's their livelihood and should be treated with respect. That said transferring bans from online chess to offline  chess is a slippery slope, especially as the legitimacy of these online bans have not been properly established yet, not to mention that differing governing bodies e.g. FIDE and Chess.com are not bound by each others decisions or policies.

Regarding Rausis I think it was an overreach for Fide to have retroactively stripped him of his GM title without proof that he achieved it illegally, in doing so they set a bad precedent. In the past many players bought final norms, fixed games with opponents, Chess federations made deals with fide to get x amount of titled in exchange for hosting events, Russians colluded in tournaments against Bobby Fischer etc, etc.  So does that mean that FIDE should reach back in time and strip the players involved of their FM IM GM titles, I leave that question as something to ponder.

I will end this post by saying that Rausis' 6 year ban and public humiliation was quite sufficient for his first time offense, but by retroactively stripping him of the GM title begs the question why was French GM Sébastien Feller title not similarly revoked for his cheating offence.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 10/14/20 at 16:13:36
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 10/14/20 at 06:26:53:
Well, it is not clear when Sutovsky writes 'officially as FIDE' or unofficially, as he seems to use personal FB and Twitter pages. Which is not very clever.

Typically people might have designated special accounts, email addresses etc (and chairs Wink ) for speaking ex cathedra.

I agree. It is totally bizarre. But so it is having the President of a professional players' rights organization also be a VP of the organization they are supposed to be protected against... kinda a conflict of interest... It's bizarro chess world.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #14 - 10/14/20 at 10:05:46
Post Tools
https://www.chess.com/member/isakasimi
In February 2020 (so this year after what happened last year with Igor Rausis) Isa Kasimi was also banned on chess.com for violating fair play policy.

That brings me to another interesting topic about cheating which recently occurred with a Belgian player. Should online cheating have repercussions also in offline chess? I mean if you cheated online and you are banned there, should this also lead to a ban for offline chess (and visa versa)? Often it is hard to know who is behind the alias in online chess but in the case of the Belgian player it was easy as he was playing the online olympiad in which people had to show their real name.

For sure many people already left chess because of the recurrent problems we are having due to cheating. As Jupp53 already implied, chess is just a game and if there is no fun at it then people will just do other things.

Chess is very alive today but things can change of course and sometimes a decline goes very quickly. Wait and let live is a risky track.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #13 - 10/14/20 at 06:26:53
Post Tools
Well, it is not clear when Sutovsky writes 'officially as FIDE' or unofficially, as he seems to use personal FB and Twitter pages. Which is not very clever.

Typically people might have designated special accounts, email addresses etc (and chairs Wink ) for speaking ex cathedra.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 10/14/20 at 06:19:26
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 10/14/20 at 03:36:57:
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 10/13/20 at 22:53:18:
Anyone know what happens if you break a ban on playing?

I suppose if that happened the punishment would be longer ban.

The actual case is quite interesting. Reading the discussion on chess24.com, I couldn't see any of the parties acting incorrectly.
  • Rausis, aka Isa Kasimi, entered a tournament which was allowed. So far this seems okay.(*)
  • The arbiter when faced with a protest from Neiksans consulted with a superior. This is not at all unusual. In the USCF there is even a protocol for such a consultation, and I expect other federations also handle matters similarly. And the decision was apparently to allow "Kasimi" to continue. Again it seems reasonable.
  • Neiksans further protested, and indeed it is his right to speak his mind. Although technically Rausis's participation may have been legal, since it was the first memorial tournament for Neiksans's former coach, perhaps Neiksans felt some moral obligation to protest.
  • Now one would expect an impasse, but instead Rausis retired from the scene. I don't see this as an admission of guilt at all, but rather a restrained response to a situation which could only get worse. Faced with a competitor who is expressing moral outrage, it's hard to imagine a compromise is possible, or indeed what a compromise could even look like.

I'm actually glad that Rausis still wants to play chess. I believe in the possibility of redemption. But trust once broken takes time to regain. So let's see what happens from here on out.

(*) The only question in my mind is whether the "unrated" Kasimi was known to the organizer as an IM. Because while the identity of Kasimi may be unrated and untitled, the person of Rausis still has an IM title and should be paired accordingly, and identified to the other players as an IM.

GM Technically. And FIDE did have an official response: https://twitter.com/EmilSutovsky/status/1314986256582021121

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #11 - 10/14/20 at 06:07:24
Post Tools
@TD - Thanks for the links. I don't know Mr. Kasimi at all but I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his name yet again in the future.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #10 - 10/14/20 at 04:14:52
Post Tools
Despite seeing using engine help otb and under well defined conditions in online chess as a problem too the whole cheating discussion has turned into a witch hunt. The problem of self justice is much worse than some cheating in a game imo.

This destroys social norms in a limited community. Chess should not be overrated. But the lack of action for well established norms out of brutal experiences in history is concerning me. There are more important problems, all right.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #9 - 10/14/20 at 04:00:54
Post Tools

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #8 - 10/14/20 at 03:36:57
Post Tools

I suppose if that happened the punishment would be longer ban.

The actual case is quite interesting. Reading the discussion on chess24.com, I couldn't see any of the parties acting incorrectly.
  • Rausis, aka Isa Kasimi, entered a tournament which was allowed. So far this seems okay.(*)
  • The arbiter when faced with a protest from Neiksans consulted with a superior. This is not at all unusual. In the USCF there is even a protocol for such a consultation, and I expect other federations also handle matters similarly. And the decision was apparently to allow "Kasimi" to continue. Again it seems reasonable.
  • Neiksans further protested, and indeed it is his right to speak his mind. Although technically Rausis's participation may have been legal, since it was the first memorial tournament for Neiksans's former coach, perhaps Neiksans felt some moral obligation to protest.
  • Now one would expect an impasse, but instead Rausis retired from the scene. I don't see this as an admission of guilt at all, but rather a restrained response to a situation which could only get worse. Faced with a competitor who is expressing moral outrage, it's hard to imagine a compromise is possible, or indeed what a compromise could even look like.

I'm actually glad that Rausis still wants to play chess. I believe in the possibility of redemption. But trust once broken takes time to regain. So let's see what happens from here on out.

(*) The only question in my mind is whether the "unrated" Kasimi was known to the organizer as an IM. Because while the identity of Kasimi may be unrated and untitled, the person of Rausis still has an IM title and should be paired accordingly, and identified to the other players as an IM.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 10/14/20 at 02:39:17
Post Tools
Hi.

That is probably true. If it was not fide rated, the national federation had no separate ban and the tournament had no rating ceiling then technically he would be allowed to play.

That sort of begs the question if Fide has had any substantial contact with the Latvian chess federation on the whole Rausis cheating and ban matter.
Imo it would make sense if the default step after a cheating penalty is a detailed brief by Fide for the national federation so they can take their own action if needed. I doubt Fide sees it like that though.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 10/13/20 at 23:15:10
Post Tools
Rausis playing again.
https://chess24.com/en/read/news/banned-chess-cheater-makes-comeback-under-alias

Well, apparently Rausis didn't actually break the ban.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 10/13/20 at 22:53:18
Post Tools
Bump.

Rausis playing again.
https://chess24.com/en/read/news/banned-chess-cheater-makes-comeback-under-alias

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #4 - 07/26/19 at 16:57:15
Post Tools
Cheating is of course a major concern in competitive chess and has been for a while now. It's no longer even that surprising to see a GM to stoop to it.
However there's another aspect of this story that should be of concern. Who took that photo of Rausis (literally) on the toilet ? Is it a screenshot from a hidden camera ? Surely this must raise questions about violation of privacy ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo