Latest Updates:
Normal Topic French defence deep dive (Read 1055 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: French defence deep dive
Reply #9 - 08/04/19 at 00:53:06
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 07/26/19 at 03:26:50:
This DWD in English ¿¿ Only time I saw Lemos on wideos were all in Spanish. But those were interwiews after all...

[...]

Stigma wrote on 07/24/19 at 17:57:37:
- 6.a3: No idea yet, but do tell me if someone knows. I notice he has gone for the closed 6...c4 7.Nbd2 Na5 in an earlier video series, but I don't like those positions. So if it's that line again I will probably pass on this.

Really ¿ This is my favourite line against the Adwance  Cheesy Marin even recommended it in his databank. White wants to control the whole board, but he gets squeezed in his queenside.

I just got horrible results in these ...c4 lines. Yes, Black squeezes the queenside but usually doesn't threaten much there - it's mostly prevention. And while so many Black pieces are busy with that, White can slowly build up space on the kingside and eventually try to break through there. Ntirlis and Marin could well be right that Black is objectively fine, but in practice at the board it's much easier to play the White side.

On the language question, Lemos has recorded many DVDs in English and gotten better at it. Lately his idea has been to record the same material in both an English and a Spanish version, and I believe this is the case with this Deep Dive too.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #8 - 08/04/19 at 00:39:39
Post Tools
The iChess release sale ended, but the course is now on sale again, this time from The Chess World (this happens a lot with both iChess and TheChessWorld video courses btw. - they also go on sale on the other site, but at a different time).

So I'm asking again if anybody got this already, what are the recommendations in the main lines of the Advance (6.a3) and the Tarrasch? I don't need long analysis, just a few moves so I can tell if these are lines I want to study.

- 6.a3: No idea yet, but do tell me if someone knows. I notice he has gone for the closed 6...c4 7.Nbd2 Na5 in an earlier video series, but I don't like those positions. So if it's that line again I will probably pass on this.

Tarrasch: 3...c5 intending ...Qxd5
, but no clue as to Lemos' preferred retreat square for her majesty in the main line (d6, d7 or d8?)

« Last Edit: 08/04/19 at 13:43:51 by Stigma »  

IP Logged

mañico_feroz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 07/31/19 at 19:53:58
Post Tools
Oops my fault, yes the first one (crush ...).

IP Logged

Lanark
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 07/31/19 at 12:25:36
Post Tools
mañico_feroz wrote on 07/31/19 at 07:31:56:
The other dvd speaker (don't remember his name) is an american FM ...

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing.

Do you mean the DVD "Crush White with the French Defense" (with FM Will Stewart)
https://www.ichess.net/shop/crushing-white-the-french-defense/
or "The French Defense - Lemos Deep Dive?"
https://www.ichess.net/shop/the-french-defense-damian-lemos-deep-dive/

If I get it right Lemos goes for 3.Nc3 Nf6 in the former and 3.Nc3 Bb4 in the latter case.

IP Logged

mañico_feroz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 07/31/19 at 07:31:56
Post Tools
I have this DVD ... Yes, it's in english. Lemo's native language is spanish, not english, but is ok. The other dvd speaker (don't remember his name) is an american FM and this helps into making the speaking more fluent.

Regarding the dvd:

I would recommend this as an starting point. Is a good material BUT needs to be completed with your own study. Some examples:

- milner-barry gambit: no mention of nbd2 line.
- e4 e6 d4 d5 nd2 c5: the viewer is left alone after the opening is finished. Yes, you see how pieces are set up but ... what is black's plan? IMHO this section lacks a more in depth strategic overview of the position (also the setup is passive  for black).
- steinitz boleavsky with be7+b6 for black: some important lines are missing ... on the other hand, an important game (nakamura-carlsen if i recall) is well explained here and makes a good guideline, but this section needs to be extended. This line is very complex to be reviewed in such a short time.
- Advance with a3: very well explained BUT with c4 lines. Also there are some subtilities here which are missing ... what does it happen if white plays bh3 without h4? and a premature Rb1+b3?

And so on.

Anyway, a good starting point. Later you can add different lines and compliment those in the dvd with further analysis from other sources.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #4 - 07/26/19 at 03:26:50
Post Tools
This DWD in English ¿¿ Only time I saw Lemos on wideos were all in Spanish. But those were interwiews after all...

The 4...b6 Winawer is becoming popular though. First Marin, then Lakdawala now Lemos.

Really ¿ This is my favourite line against the Adwance  Cheesy Marin even recommended it in his databank. White wants to control the whole board, but he gets squeezed in his queenside.

IP Logged

Lanark
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 07/25/19 at 07:54:38
Post Tools
There is a promo video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nupQ3oCHvn4

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/19 at 17:57:37
Post Tools
Lemos actually is an experienced French player, but I don't know how much of a difference that makes to the DVD quality. We can at least expect the lines to be well chosen and form a coherent repertoire?

From their promo email and website I pieced together at least some of the repertoire:

Advance: 4...Qb6
(to remove Kupreichik's 4...Nc6 5.Be3 from the equation) followed by 5...Nc6
- 6.Be2 cxd4 7.cxd4 Nge7, which seems to be a very accurate move order.

Tarrasch: 3...c5 intending ...Qxd5
, but no clue as to Lemos' preferred retreat square for her majesty in the main line (d6, d7 or d8?)

3.Nc3: The Winawer with 4...b6 was mentioned in the email, but I'm not sure if that's the sole recommendation (or even a recommendation at all - maybe it's just Lemos showing off an exciting game of his against Nabaty).

P. S.: If anyone needs proof that Lemos doesn't write his own blurbs, I give you this comment to 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2:

Quote:
Also optional is 3. Nc3 but this is met by Bb4 from black and this is not so good for white.

Cheesy

IP Logged

pirc kid
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/24/19 at 15:03:51
Post Tools
Knowing some Lemos videos, I think he does not know that either Wink

I guess it will be another improvisation dvd, commenting some games with lots of "maybe this or maybe that"-analysis

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

French defence deep dive
07/24/19 at 12:01:48
Post Tools
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone for French defence deep dive. I wanted to know what lines it covered. It was not clear from the website.
Also if anyone thought it was good.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo