Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What is your London system goto reference (Read 4682 times)
Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Re: What is your London system goto reference
Reply #6 - 09/10/19 at 03:44:06
Post Tools
If I had to choose one book, it probably is Agile London System.

But for a DWD, I would choose Das Londoner System by Elizabeth Pähtz. This one however is in German.

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 09/09/19 at 21:13:19
Post Tools
There is now a chess24 video series by Demuth in English on the London.

IP Logged

BeeCaves

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 08/01/19 at 21:49:07
Post Tools
I have the Agile London System book, the Sedlak books, and "Fighting the London System" by Georgiev.

For what you are describing -- if you just want a simple reference with a breadth of lines that is easy to review and look for random stuff. I think the Agile London System book is best.

("What if my opponent goes 1 d4 d5 2 Bf4 c6 3 e3 Qb6?  What if I play Bf4 against the Dutch?  What if he plays 1... d6?  What if he plays 1 d4 Nf6 2 Bf4 Nh5")

That said, it doesn't have a ton of deep lines or original analysis.  It is common that the author will give a game reference and if the White player in the game didn't play Stockfish's first choice on move 8 and Stockfish gives +0.3 or something after that move, they will just put something like in parentheses like "8 Nbd2 +/="

But I think it is one of the most exhaustive references.  The Sedlak books are game collections and seem like they don't always reference all the sidelines, and even when they do, it might be in the notes to some game but you have no idea which one.

In terms of original analysis and relatively more recent games, I *really* like the Georgiev book even though it is from the Black side.  It gives so many options for Black and White that I think it is very useful for both sides.  But that said, some key lines are missing like London versus KID or London versus d5/Nf6/Bf5 setups.  But if only wanted to look at one book and were comfortable using the database and Stockfish for the missing lines then I would recommend the Georgiev one.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/01/19 at 18:06:26
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 08/01/19 at 09:51:52:
Simon Williams has a Chessbase DVD on the London System in english. He is usually upbeat and energetic in his presentation, so i would think it would be a good one to review lines with

Simon Williams did do a London System DVD about 2-3 years ago. It was pretty good, although I always feel that DVD's are expensive in relation to their content when compared with a book on the same opening.

It may be worth checking but I think in one of his Simon Says Shows he mentioned that he was doing a new up-dated DVD on the London for Chessbase. I don't recall any mention of a release date.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 08/01/19 at 09:51:52
Post Tools
Simon Williams has a Chessbase DVD on the London System in english. He is usually upbeat and energetic in his presentation, so i would think it would be a good one to review lines with.

Otherwise, which source have you used to build your repertoire? If that comes mostly from one book or video, sticking with that may help you avoid confusion.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #1 - 07/31/19 at 21:22:29
Post Tools
How are your language skills ¿

Because there are a few:

Chessbase DWD in German by Elizabeth Pähtz Das Londoner System: https://shop.chessbase.com/de/products/paehtz_londoner_system

chess24 series in French by Adrian Demuth Le Système de Londres: https://chess24.com/es/aprende/video/video/London/introduction-du-systeme-de-lon...

There was a book first printed in castellano by two Spanish players, but I forgot their names. There was New in Chess translation version, I think it was called something like Agile London System.

Sedlak has two books on London for White, Winning with the London System:
https://chess-evolution.com/shop_detail/9
https://chess-evolution.com/shop_detail/58.
But note that against ...g6 setups by Black he prefers the Torre Attack instead of the London.

I also have this German book by Joachim Beyer Verlag, Das Londoner System richtig gespielt

There seems to accumulate a lot of theory now on the London System, maybe even later someone will publish new books on it. But those above are what I use.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

What is your London system goto reference
07/31/19 at 19:52:44
Post Tools
Hi all,

Well it seems like there is a lot of London system references out there now. I was so,seeing what is the one book or video you like as a main guide? Or do you uses different sources for different variations? I was looking for something that I can read fast before a tournament as a review. Not having to look at my whole collection. Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo