Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Best d4 players (Read 5539 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Best d4 players
Reply #2 - 08/13/19 at 15:43:20
Post Tools
Reminds me of Raymond Keene's top 10 in a book from 35 years ago:  Kasparov ("My own feeling is that Kasparov's interpretation of 1. d4 blends icy efficiency and almost balletic artistry in a way that excels the achievements of his mighty antecedents"), Alekhine, Botvinnik, Pillsbury, Petrosian, Korchnoi, Portisch, Reshevsky, Rubinstein, Gligoric.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Best d4 players
Reply #1 - 08/13/19 at 15:38:16
Post Tools
Rubinstein, clearly.  Kasparov was a top-5 1.d4 player back when he played it regularly, but no modern elite players stick to a single opening like they used to.

While certainly not top 5 of all time, I really like Rainier Knaak's games.  Dreev, Lautier, and Sadler (who all played the 6.Bg5 Samisch KID) as well.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Best d4 players
08/13/19 at 14:53:01
Post Tools
I was going through some games from The Life and Games of Akiba Rubinstein. Donaldson and Minev quote Arthur Bisguier as writing that Capablanca and Rubinstein were the two best d4 players. To say the least that seems an interesting topic. So who would you put on a list of the top five d4 players?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo