Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Side-Stepping Mainline Theory - Welling, Giddings (Read 7106 times)
RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Side-Stepping Mainline Theory - Welling, Giddings
Reply #13 - 08/27/19 at 22:05:21
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 08/27/19 at 21:42:16:
H
But from an optical point of view, I do not know why, but playing this rewersed Philidor as White looks ugly.

With White you could get just as good a position playing something like 1. e4 c5 2. c3 in an unambitious manner.

In one of the lines as Black, you have to know that .. Kg6 works. Having to play that sort of move isn't "side-stepping theory". An engine opinion is that White is only slightly worse and players who delight in trying to hack up exposed kings would be happy with such a position.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 Nf6 4. Nc3 Nbd7 5. Bc4 Be7 6. dxe5 dxe5 7. Bxf7 Kxf7 8. Ng5 Kg6

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #12 - 08/27/19 at 21:42:16
Post Tools
Honestly these books baffle me sometimes. To avoid theory completely playing something like Hipopótamus on autopilot would work. These Philidor things look like some work required to avoid getting squeezed.

To do well in chess nowadays you need good opening preparation no matter what you play. At least making a good choice for Black opening then playing 1. a3 as White to lose a tempo would cut down some theory though.

But from an optical point of view, I do not know why, but playing this rewersed Philidor as White looks ugly. Just my opinion though, it should be just equal with best play. If I see it in the bookstore I would look at it..

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 08/24/19 at 18:07:06
Post Tools
FizzySoda wrote on 08/24/19 at 17:23:52:
GM Aagaard pointed out the problem with the lazy man's sicilian book. I wouldnt say it was a good book.

Checkout quality chess VLOG 4 on their youtube page.

We had a thread on it in this forum.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

FizzySoda
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 08/24/19 at 17:23:52
Post Tools
GM Aagaard pointed out the problem with the lazy man's sicilian book. I wouldnt say it was a good book.

Checkout quality chess VLOG 4 on their youtube page.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #9 - 08/24/19 at 15:28:13
Post Tools
Quote:
I noticed that in an instance of the "Pickett Shuffle," White plays an "!" move, then Black plays a "?!" one, then Black equalizes.

This happens all too frequently in chess literature! Hard to know in each case whether an author had intended (or had originally written) '!?' or whether they were just not thinking logically and no editor picked that up.

Quote:
I have always thought the queenswap Philidor with doubled e-pawns is no fun and simply bad for Black.

Looking at this recently I did reckon 6 ...Ke8 is stronger than 6 ...Be6 (and 6 ....Bb4 interesting). Meanwhile I've been using the 3 ...Nbd7 move order, but if anyone knows how Black should deal with 4 f4 e5 5 Nf3 ed 6 Qd4 c6 7 Bd2! d5 8 0-0-0 could they let me know? (I suppose something like 7 ...Qb6 8 0-0-0 Be7 9 Bc4 0-0 instead is playable but it looks a bit bleak to me.)

I can't comment on the Basman Sale stuff, but on the basis of the Philidor excerpts I can't say I'm wild about this book. OK, it's an ideas book not a theoretical manual, but it doesn't look as though they cover the numerous possible transpos and transpo-avoidances with any logical coherence or even consider the most critical lines at all. The (not so critical?) Qe2 lines they give seem rehashed Barsky (more than Hickl). And in the 7 Re1 (why '!' for this?) c6 8 a4 b6 line, do they cover 9 Bg5 at all?

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 08/24/19 at 13:15:04
Post Tools
FizzySoda wrote on 08/24/19 at 11:51:19:
I agree with Kater. This has been done before, and what club player wants to play the queen swap line as black?!

This reminds me of giddins work on that sicilian book on the basman sale variation--old book revamped into something new. I wouldn't be surprised to find out giddins is doing that here.  Maybe he is just revamping the play 1 d6 against everything book.

It would have been more interesting to see a black lion type approach. I don't understand why this is even being written.

The Lazy Man's Sicilian. I think that criticism is a bit harsh. The former was a fairly decent book that he helped translate didnt he?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

FizzySoda
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 08/24/19 at 11:51:19
Post Tools
I agree with Kater. This has been done before, and what club player wants to play the queen swap line as black?!

This reminds me of giddins work on that sicilian book on the basman sale variation--old book revamped into something new. I wouldn't be surprised to find out giddins is doing that here.  Maybe he is just revamping the play 1 d6 against everything book.

It would have been more interesting to see a black lion type approach. I don't understand why this is even being written.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #6 - 08/23/19 at 18:45:24
Post Tools
Very similar to Play 1...d6 Against Everything by Hickl (also published by New In Chess) and the old Nigel Davies' Chessbase DVD for the "busy person" discussed here http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1258989027

I have always thought the queenswap Philidor with doubled e-pawns is no fun and simply bad for Black.  An odd choice to promote this variation in the excerpt.  I would rather avoid it via d6, c6, Qc7 and only then e7-e5, which i recall Davies recommended on his old DVD.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #5 - 08/23/19 at 16:31:47
Post Tools
(with sample)
https://www.newinchess.com/side-stepping-mainline-theory

I wonder if there is any concrete indication/acknowledgement that White should be able to achieve a slight advantage against the Philidor and the Old Indian. 

I noticed that in an instance of the "Pickett Shuffle," White plays an "!" move, then Black plays a "?!" one, then Black equalizes.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 08/17/19 at 15:55:39
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 08/17/19 at 15:53:26:
For White? Yuck.  I might be interested if the coverage for Black is good, but I'd never want to play like this as White.

Remember, the book's aim is avoiding main theory...

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 08/17/19 at 15:53:26
Post Tools
For White? Yuck.  I might be interested if the coverage for Black is good, but I'd never want to play like this as White.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 08/17/19 at 15:37:08
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 08/17/19 at 15:23:21:
From Amazon:  "Gerard Welling and Steve Giddins recommend the Old Indian-Hanham Philidor set-up as a basis for both Black and White."

Thanks, it looks like an interesting book, especiallty if main themes and ideas are clearly explained.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 08/17/19 at 15:23:21
Post Tools
From Amazon:  "Gerard Welling and Steve Giddins recommend the Old Indian-Hanham Philidor set-up as a basis for both Black and White."

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Side-Stepping Mainline Theory - Welling, Giddings
08/17/19 at 15:01:18
Post Tools
Side-Stepping Mainline Theory by Welling, Giddings. New in Chess, 2019.

From the Publisher's Webpage:
By adopting a similar set-up for both Black and White, with similar plans and techniques, you further reduce study time.

Anyone has info on what system(s) will be covered?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo