Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Books I'd like to see written (Read 12396 times)
Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Books I'd like to see written
Reply #17 - 08/27/19 at 21:39:47
Post Tools
Hi.

You'd always have to save some space for 71 or more pages of 3.f3 coverage Grin

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #16 - 08/27/19 at 07:26:58
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 08/27/19 at 05:33:25:
I think the limited subject allows for quite a lot of coverage of the Nd2 complex. In a normal book 62 pages would be way to much though.

I think that 3. Cd2 covered in the Pirc (not in the Modern, since 1. e4 g6 2. d4 Ag7 3. Cd2 hangs the d4-pawn) is serious, but if you are talking about one whole book on deviations from move 3 and before, maybe. I still find strange the number 62. Why not 63 ¿  Cheesy

Confused_by_Theory wrote on 08/27/19 at 05:33:25:
Incidentally I would think the extra space could be used to afford some kind of dynamic track a lot of attention. It is not easy to create play as black after 3.Nd2 and some guide that specifically tries to show how would be welcome.

There are many setups here, and from what I see they can end up looking like a KID setup against Torre/London/Colle, except the bitchop is on c1 instead of f4 or g5. If White tries to play like in the Kopec system against the Sicilian, Black just tries for breaks with ...e5 or ...c5 depending on which fits better.

2th alternative moves for White, such as 2. g3, 2. d3, 2. b3, 2. Cc3, 2. f4, 2. c4, 2. Ce2, even 2. h4, all need serious consideration. Play is often non-forcing, yet very few books cover it much. I suppose that these moves would just be considered rubbish by GMs.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 08/27/19 at 05:33:25
Post Tools
I think the limited subject allows for quite a lot of coverage of the Nd2 complex. In a normal book 62 pages would be way to much though.

Incidentally I would think the extra space could be used to afford some kind of dynamic track a lot of attention. It is not easy to create play as black after 3.Nd2 and some guide that specifically tries to show how would be welcome.

Regards
/ CbT

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #14 - 08/26/19 at 18:38:56
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 08/26/19 at 08:43:56:
Fighting the Anti Pirc/Moderns. Basically complete, well-researched repertoire stuff (it can even say this on the cover Smiley) against continuations for white after 1.e4 d6 (or g6) that isn't 2.d4, 3.Nc3.
Depending on space some fourth moves with the normal e4, d4, Nc3 would be covered as well in both the Pirc and the Modern. Since 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nd2 would be getting a minimum of 62 pages and every conceivable way to set up after 2.Nc3 would get maybe 10 each I doubt there would be space though. Almost every chapter would have multiple recommendations strewn in as well so that's even more stuff.

If I ever got chance to write a book on Pirc, I would include all of these as well.

But how can 3. Cd2 get 60+ pages of coverage alone ¿ It sounds quite excessive, no ¿  Cheesy

Smaller lines like 2. d3 and 2. Cc3 though are quite serious and at least ten pages is reasonable.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #13 - 08/26/19 at 18:23:05
Post Tools
Razuvaev's comments to Rubinstein's games, along with the comments of Kmoch, Tarrasch, Lasker, etc., etc., are reproduced in Donaldsen and Minev's Uncrowned King--of course, only for the games they annotated! Since the book contains Rubinstein's other games as well, it might seem as if there are not many annotations, but the opposite is the case.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #12 - 08/26/19 at 16:27:04
Post Tools
Pawnpusher wrote on 08/26/19 at 10:33:32:
Somewhere I read that there is an English translation of the Razuvaev biography of the great Akiba Rubenstein, I hope it is published this year.

Can confirm it exists. Don't know when it will be out.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 08/26/19 at 10:33:32
Post Tools
Somewhere I read that there is an English translation of the Razuvaev biography of the great Akiba Rubenstein, I hope it is published this year.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 08/26/19 at 08:43:56
Post Tools
Hi.

I would like to see something like:

Fighting the Anti Pirc/Moderns. Basically complete, well-researched repertoire stuff (it can even say this on the cover Smiley) against continuations for white after 1.e4 d6 (or g6) that isn't 2.d4, 3.Nc3.
Depending on space some fourth moves with the normal e4, d4, Nc3 would be covered as well in both the Pirc and the Modern. Since 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nd2 would be getting a minimum of 62 pages and every conceivable way to set up after 2.Nc3 would get maybe 10 each I doubt there would be space though. Almost every chapter would have multiple recommendations strewn in as well so that's even more stuff.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

FizzySoda
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 08/26/19 at 03:11:32
Post Tools
Stefan beucker in his Over the horizons column on chesscafe, wrote an article on minor systems that will last a lifetime. Ever since reading that, I have liked the idea of non-mainline.

Leave the mainlines and the work to the professionals.

The following come to my mind:
O'kelly Sicilian
Cambridge Springs defense
North Sea defense
Bird defense ruy lopez
Qe5 + Scandinavian

Strategy book analyzing games between fide master vs class players/experts.
Games collection/ history book covering junior.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 08/18/19 at 12:13:14
Post Tools
nestor wrote on 08/18/19 at 06:55:40:
RoleyPoley wrote on 08/17/19 at 23:19:59:
I was looking forward to the book on the benoni, but i;ve just seen that the author is also listed to have a book on the Ruy Lopez published a month earlier. I hope that doesnt impact negatively on the quality of the benoni one....

I think that might be a typo in the publishing schedule. Elsewhere on the site John D. is listed as the author of the Benoni book and Joshua D. as the author of the Lopez book. I thought their joint book on the Najdorf was very good, so I'm looking forward to these.

Thanks @Nestor. Thats what i was hoping when i saw it as i remember the Najdorf book recieved a lot of praise (and it looks quite good from a quick skim read).

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #7 - 08/18/19 at 06:55:40
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 08/17/19 at 23:19:59:
I was looking forward to the book on the benoni, but i;ve just seen that the author is also listed to have a book on the Ruy Lopez published a month earlier. I hope that doesnt impact negatively on the quality of the benoni one....

I think that might be a typo in the publishing schedule. Elsewhere on the site John D. is listed as the author of the Benoni book and Joshua D. as the author of the Lopez book. I thought their joint book on the Najdorf was very good, so I'm looking forward to these.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #6 - 08/18/19 at 00:54:10
Post Tools
Books based on Moderna with only ...c6 systems (and not ...a6) I have not seen covered for long times. The 2th Edition of Tiger Modern has ...a6 and Hippo.

Only book that has this setup I remember is one of those older Everyman general books, the one "Modern Defence".

A new book on the Dzindzichaschwili-Indian for Black would be nice. Mostly because there are no books whereof I know that cover this line in the first place  Cheesy

An updated modern interpretation of the 7. Dg4 0-0 Winawer is in order. Last one was Berg in 2014. Latest very good Winawer book by Miedema is on Poisoned Prawn.

I would however be willing to cover the gap here and write a Black book for 7. Dg4 0-0  Cool

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 08/17/19 at 23:20:57
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 08/17/19 at 22:26:22:
Hi.

I rather liked the Dangerous Weapons Everyman books better (and Chess developments). Compared to these a lot more of the formats previous posters mention are being produced nowadays though. Edit: Don't know if it's business decisions or author prefernces though

Your book suggestions don't seem far out. Hopefully they will one day come to be.

I liked the Chess Development books too - I was really surprised to see that series not continued.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 08/17/19 at 23:19:59
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 08/17/19 at 22:26:02:
According to the publishing schedule, "Planning" (Franco) and "The Grand Prix Attack" (Tay) are forthcoming in that series.

Thanks. I hadnt seen the updated schedule, whenever i checked it  was an older one.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/17/19 at 22:26:22
Post Tools
Hi.

I rather liked the Dangerous Weapons Everyman books better (and Chess developments). Compared to these a lot more of the formats previous posters mention are being produced nowadays though. Edit: Don't know if it's business decisions or author prefernces though

Your book suggestions don't seem far out. Hopefully they will one day come to be.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo