Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Khalifman- Soloviev Scotch (Read 924 times)
Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Khalifman- Soloviev Scotch
Reply #5 - 08/21/19 at 10:52:21
Post Tools
They argue that in both lines Black can end up with equality, the positions look really complex. I haven't had time to really go through much of the material with strong engines; the book just arrived yesterday.

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 08/21/19 at 09:14:15
Post Tools
Thanks Pawnpusher, one question from me:

What is their opinion of Ntirlis' back-up line: 7...Nd5 8.c4 Nb6 9.Nc3 Ba6 and now either 10.Qe4 f6 or 10.b3 0-0-0 11.Bb2 Re8 12.f4 f6?

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/21/19 at 01:56:08
Post Tools
A They cover both and generally argue for a fairly large advantage in the Be3/ Nf5 and more of a +- evaluation for the Nxc6 lines.
B White ends up with a spatial advantage and K-S believe a very strong attack, the d6 lines they argue for a pretty significant plus there too.
The majority of the book covers 4...Nf6.

IP Logged

Tauromachie
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 08/20/19 at 23:34:45
Post Tools
Pawnpusher wrote on 08/20/19 at 10:53:33:
I just received my copy, so if anyone has any questions. At first glance, the book looks interesting.

Very kind offer !
Indeed, I have two questions..

In the 4..Bb4+ line does he go for the endgame with Be3-Nf5 or for the more complicated Nxc6-Bd3 - and what is his verdict on these lines ?

And in the 4..Bc5 5.Nb3 Bb6 lines.. How does he assess the position after 6..Nge7 (with the potential idea of ..f5 counterplay) ? btw I was not aware of 6.Qe2 d6 7.Be3 with the idea to exchange the dark squared bishops.. how bad does it look for black ?

IP Logged

PatzerKing

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 08/20/19 at 20:01:53
Post Tools
Hi,

a few comments from my side:

I checked the line that Nikos Ntirlis gives in his book “Playing 1.e4 e5”. Although the book is mentioned in the bibliography the move 20…c5! Of Nikos Is not mentioned by Khalifman. That is quite annoying.

The famous endgame 2 minor pieces for White vs. Rook + pawn for Black was analyzed in Esben Lunds book “Rook vs two minor pieces” which isn´t mentioned in the bibliography. In some lines of Khalifman white is winning a tempo when Black plays …Kc7-Kb7 and “forces” the white knight to c5 with Nc5 Kc7. I think there are improvements for Blacks.
But in general I think that there are some quite useful insides mentioned concerning the endgame, so it could be worth to play it OTB.

When I compare the Khalifman book with the Ntirlis book, I think that Nikos has some black holes, e.g. 8.g3 which almost forces Black into the endgame above according to Khalifman and 8.h4 in the Mieses. 8.h4 is only mentioned in a sidenote by Nikos.

So, what is my conclusion? Hm.... I left the Scotch because of some lines in the Mieses and 4…Bc5 but after some quick checks of the Khalifman book, I guess that I will pick up the Scotch again, at least for a few games as a surprise.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Khalifman- Soloviev Scotch
08/20/19 at 10:53:33
Post Tools
I just received my copy, so if anyone has any questions. At first glance, the book looks interesting.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo