Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Staunton boards (Read 231 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: Staunton boards
Reply #5 - 09/13/19 at 21:33:19
Post Tools
fixing: ReneDescartes gave solid advice. Unfortunately most boards are inlaid, and it's a little hard to tell how thick the patterned squares are. Here is a link to other tips, but you will have difficulties because of the chequered pattern.
https://newengland.com/today/living/home-repair-diy/wood-furniture-scratches/

preventing: For transport and storage, a really good idea is to alternate face up and face down, so that the two smooth tops are together, then on the next in the stack the two rough undersides are together. This also works well with folding tables. But for some reason it's unnatural and most people don't consider it.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/13/19 at 19:51:31
Post Tools
Hi.

I think chesspub is large enough to exchange thoughts even on subjects like equipment care.

Maybe it's just the pieces that are called Staunton actually. But yea, the boards we use (they came with the pieces) are solid wood and... I don't know really, maybe like 2-3 centimetre thick. There is wood to grind away. I'd worry about getting the playing surface even. Maybe if the whole board is grind down below the scratchmarks with tools. If only the scratchmarked part is focused on I don't know how to get the board even afterwards. Maybe a finish that settles more in that part.

My main idea was otherwise to fill in the scratches with something. Maybe some paint or something that maybe would stand out a bit but not look horrible. Of course there are like five different models of boards with different combinations of wood (i.e. mildly different colours) though so meh... Tongue

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #3 - 09/13/19 at 01:05:03
Post Tools
What is a Staunton board? Do you mean a solid wooden board? If so, you could sand it all down to a depth below the scratches, which will lighten the colors, and then refinish it with varnish or a light stain and varnish (or polyurethane if you like the lighter colors). You might want to sand the sides, too, depending. This probably would not work with a veneer board because veneer may be too thin to sand down.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/12/19 at 18:30:11
Post Tools
VGA wrote on 09/12/19 at 18:01:11:
Doesn't sound like a chess question Smiley  I would ask in the DIY subreddit of reddit if I were you.

It involves a chess board. It's chess related.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

VGA
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 09/12/19 at 18:01:11
Post Tools
Doesn't sound like a chess question Smiley  I would ask in the DIY subreddit of reddit if I were you.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Staunton boards
09/11/19 at 14:33:44
Post Tools
Hi.

Does anyone have any experience with fixing scratchmarks on Staunton boards? The ones we have where I'm at have mostly small schratchmarks and imperfections but it still looks kinda sad. Mainly I think this related to moving back and forth while stacked in a car. Sometimes the boards will have gotten themselves in contact due to movement and the boards, for various reasons,  not all having been 100% level at all times. There are also a few that pretty surely have seen some contact with concrete. These have slightly more telling scars.

Any ideas?

By the way. I got a barely passing grade in woodwork over a decade ago (the teacher got a bit mad when I abandoned a failed project Grin) so you can clearly see that I will be able to implement any solution.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo