Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Caruana's 3 DWD's on Ruy López for White (Read 506 times)
Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Re: Caruana's 3 DWD's on Ruy López for White
Reply #18 - yesterday at 22:40:42
Post Tools
There seems to be three databases (pgn-files) according to the list of 'content'
93.01: Games by Fabiano Caruana
94.02: Repertoire database
95.03: Analysis database

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - yesterday at 18:13:38
Post Tools
I only pointed out the DWD for the hilarity of what popped in my head. I didn't mean to start this trouble!

Leon_Trotsky wrote yesterday at 02:04:37:
My guess is that this three-volume set must have .pgn files, or at least I hope so. Caruana's .pgn files must be worth gold. How often do you get a World no. 2 plus World Championship challenger offering analyses like that.

Please do let us know if it has pgns! I have been shocked that hasn't been standard for 10 years... but it's pretty rare.  I bought the Svidler chess 24 Grunfeld only to return it 5 minutes later when they said no pgn. I was pissed.  Angry

And I meant no disrespect earlier btw! Sorry!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - yesterday at 06:16:09
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 09/13/19 at 21:57:05:
You spell things wrong on purpose, annoying/confusing all other forum members,

Speak for yourself. It's whining like yours that annoys me; LT's weird spelling etc. only amuses and never confuses me.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #15 - yesterday at 03:14:08
Post Tools
It's perfectly fine to pronounce it in any way you want, but unless you're sending your messages via speech to text, I have no idea why that is relevant for anything.
You know the correct spelling, so why not.. use it? Language is fluid, but you still can't randomly make up your own spellings for words. That's not how it works.
The upside down question marks are w/e, but if you know the correct way of writing something, why would you intentionally botch it? This is completely lost on me.

On chess, please buy!  Cheesy I'm unwillig to splurge without some sample vid showcasing the general approach to the analysis, or a review by a trusted forum member - so I'm eagerly waiting for someone to have less patience than I do  Wink

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #14 - yesterday at 02:04:37
Post Tools
I have a confession. I have Asperger's, so maybe I have a "weird" pronunciation. I know that I am a weird person, hundreds of people have told me that, so hearing it again is not really new to me. I do weird things like using a rotary dial telephone and a record player despite being born in the late 1980s. If there were no weird people, who would have invented the Pirc and Modern Defences ż

But I will say, I spell it like this in handwriting in person, such as to friends or colleagues. I also pronounce it exactly like "dí wí dí" when speaking English. If in the future, I ever had to give a chess video presentation or public lecture in English, I would pronounce it exactly in this manner.

It is kind of like when I speak Spanish, I usually pronounce "ll" in the Argentinian way like "ž", similar to the "s" in the English word "measure". Many Spaniards find that weird, but I became used to it. In Spanish, "DVD" is pronounced fast as "déu bé dé" but I pronounce it as "déu ué dé" which is a bit like "DWD".

Anyway, back to chess. I am very close to buying this three-volume set. The fact that Caruana is the (main) presenter is a big factor. I think that he is a generally a good guy. He seems to be more calm of a presenter too. I get distracted when some get overexcited when presenting and then I lose track or what they are saying.

My guess is that this three-volume set must have .pgn files, or at least I hope so. Caruana's .pgn files must be worth gold. How often do you get a World no. 2 plus World Championship challenger offering analyses like that.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #13 - yesterday at 01:46:48
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 09/13/19 at 21:57:05:
You spell things wrong on purpose, annoying/confusing all other forum members ...

(big snip)

To actually do this on purpose is legitimately crazy

That's not quite right.
  1. As one of the forum members, I am neither annoyed nor confused, so the word "all" is misplaced.
  2. Also I dispute that it's crazy. I see it as just a harmless affectation, nothing to worry about.

You are right he is doing it on purpose. But I think it's just to amuse himself. It's a quirky habit, but if you get past that and look at the actual content of his posts, he has never written a single sharp word about another person, not even to defend himself. I couldn't say the same about many, certainly not about myself.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #12 - 09/13/19 at 23:31:30
Post Tools
Yes. *Mod hat on*

Please recognize that this is an ‘English as an International Language’ (EIL) environment.

Please try to be clear. All of us, not just Trotsky.

And yes, the DVD set looks interesting!

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #11 - 09/13/19 at 21:57:05
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 09/13/19 at 20:47:50:
I always pronounce it "dí wí dí" when speaking, so that is how I spell it.

You spell things wrong on purpose, annoying/confusing all other forum members, because you're not just misconstruing English to be a phonetic language, but also disregarding that abbreviations mean certain things?.?

I thought your english was just bad & you were too lazy to improve it in any way, and that you plain didn't care about people being unable to read your move notation, because you're a bit dingus

To actually do this on purpose is legitimately crazy

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #10 - 09/13/19 at 20:47:50
Post Tools
I always pronounce it "dí wí dí" when speaking, so that is how I spell it.

I am wondering to buy this, even though I do not play 1. e4 as White. I am interested in the Spanish as Black though. But it is a three-volume set, and over 70€.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #9 - 09/13/19 at 19:43:10
Post Tools
Haha, DWD is not a typo. He does that stuff on purpose.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 09/13/19 at 18:15:52
Post Tools
Am I the only one that it took a while to realize DWD was just a typo for DVD? At first I thought, Deadly Weapons of D?  Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #7 - 09/13/19 at 11:22:20
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 09/13/19 at 09:54:00:
Nope. I think Chessbase continue to require access to it's own software to run (or at least in order to see the board).

Oh dear, thats a big pity  Sad

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/13/19 at 09:54:00
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 09/13/19 at 08:27:15:
This sounds interesting, but will the DVD play as a normal video on the TV? The chessbase DVD by Kasparov on the Queens Gambit did that, but the next one I bought did not and I haven't bought one since.

Hopefully Chessbase have rectified this issue by now. I'd be interested in this one.

Nope. I think Chessbase continue to require access to it's own software to run (or at least in order to see the board).

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 09/13/19 at 09:52:47
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 09/13/19 at 09:09:14:
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 09/12/19 at 21:38:10:
In the excerpt video, he has some guy sitting next to him during the presentation. Not sure what his function is  Cheesy

Hopefully his function is to reel in Caruana when he spits out a 40 move deep line in 5 seconds without even showing it on the board!  Wink

Very curious how this will end up looking, some sample vid would be nice to have. Could be the best thing ever (and sorely missed, as mainline Spanish has been a huge gap in the market for a good while now), could be largely unwatchable - very much depends on how well Caruana is able to transport his undoubtedly endless knowledge into this format, and make it digestible for people below 2800.

Adding a second person into the presentation should help ensure this is the case by asking the sorts of questions those watching may be interested in.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #4 - 09/13/19 at 09:13:36
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 09/13/19 at 09:09:14:
Hopefully his function is to reel in Caruana when he spits out a 40 move deep line in 5 seconds without even showing it on the board!  Wink

Very curious how this will end up looking, some sample vid would be nice to have. Could be the best thing ever (and sorely missed, as mainline Spanish has been a huge gap in the market for a good while now), could be largely unwatchable - very much depends on how well Caruana is able to transport his undoubtedly endless knowledge into this format, and make it digestible for people below 2800.

I have found Caruana in his post game interviews very good at explaining games in positional terms, I would have no worries on that front.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo