Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Caruana's 3 DVD's on Ruy López for White (Read 26778 times)
BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Caruana's 3 DVD's on Ruy López for White
Reply #49 - 11/30/21 at 06:35:57
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 11/29/21 at 05:24:06:
The book and DVDs has the same omitions since the book is a transcription of the DVDs and no updated lines. There are even more lines  not covered, I discovered it in Correspondence Chess games. One example are Berlin with Bc5 are not covered at all, and some lines Bc5 lines where Nge7 was not covered only Nf6 (not that he line is good I got 1.5 of 2 vs the same even rated player in Correspondence Chess, I was close to win both). I was preparing for a game at local club and the Jänisch covered dissmissed an entire sub variation with a single correct start move move, but I met him before so I knew theory and won anyway.

But dont get me wrong I realy like the book, its deadly in over the board games and playable in Correspondence Chess as well but possible complement are advised in Correspondence Chess.

Thanks. I'll probably get the book but keep my other Ruy Lopez books I have that cover lines that Caruana missed.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #48 - 11/29/21 at 05:24:06
Post Tools
The book and DVDs has the same omitions since the book is a transcription of the DVDs and no updated lines. There are even more lines  not covered, I discovered it in Correspondence Chess games. One example are Berlin with Bc5 are not covered at all, and some lines Bc5 lines where Nge7 was not covered only Nf6 (not that he line is good I got 1.5 of 2 vs the same even rated player in Correspondence Chess, I was close to win both). I was preparing for a game at local club and the Jänisch covered dissmissed an entire sub variation with a single correct start move move, but I met him before so I knew theory and won anyway.

But dont get me wrong I realy like the book, its deadly in over the board games and playable in Correspondence Chess as well but possible complement are advised in Correspondence Chess.
« Last Edit: 11/29/21 at 07:29:45 by bragesjo »  
IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #47 - 11/23/21 at 12:20:53
Post Tools
I read a review that said Caruana’s new Ruy Lopez book doesn’t cover the old Archangel with 6…Bb7 or the Mřller. Looking at the contents for these DVDs it seems these lines aren’t covered in them either. Are they covered in different lines via transposition? It seems weird if they’re completely omitted.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #46 - 09/16/21 at 12:27:06
Post Tools
I have both the book and the DVD:s and I like the book better, better layout more easy to grasp etc. But probebly still same omissions in a couple of places as the DVD:s.

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #45 - 07/14/21 at 10:09:37
Post Tools
I think many openingbooks today suffer from TMI, Too Much Information (at least to me) to be really useful. If I need more reference material I can easily get relevant games from the databases.

Maybe it's a good idea for a writer to first make 10-12 hours of video's and then transcribe it to book format to keep the amount of information just right Wink
That way you can condense the information to the essential stuff.
It sounds silly of course in the above way, but I think opening books can be made more manageable for the average chess player.

I was interested in the DVD's to hear a top player speak about an opening, but this book sounds even better!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #44 - 07/14/21 at 05:34:16
Post Tools
Perhaps that's why the one time I bought a chess DVD it was a waste of my money - I already had taken the first step in the opening presented a long time before.
I liked what I saw in GM Caruana's book.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #43 - 07/13/21 at 23:32:07
Post Tools
[/quote]

DVDs might be an easy way to learn a subject. But sometimes you don't want easy. [/quote]

True, but watching a DVD - or reading a book, for that matter - is only the first step in learning an opening. Maybe it's good for the first step to be relatively easy.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #42 - 07/13/21 at 18:50:03
Post Tools
tracke wrote on 07/12/21 at 21:51:12:
Now the book is announced for August 12th with only 208 pages. There‘s a free pdf download with 20 pages:
https://www.newinchess.com/caruana-s-ruy-lopez

The book seems to be a pure transcription of the three DVDs, without further input by Caruana (see introduction).
Anyway, certainly an interesting offer!

tracke  Smiley

Three DVDs equates to 208 pages... Another argument (not that I needed one) against DVDs.

This reminds me of something I read once about the bicycle. It's a great way to get exercise, provided you keep pushing the whole time. But it's such an efficient mode of transport that it's also a great way to fool yourself into thinking you are getting exercise, cruising effortlessly around the neighborhood.

DVDs might be an easy way to learn a subject. But sometimes you don't want easy.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #41 - 07/12/21 at 21:51:12
Post Tools
Now the book is announced for August 12th with only 208 pages. There‘s a free pdf download with 20 pages:
https://www.newinchess.com/caruana-s-ruy-lopez

The book seems to be a pure transcription of the three DVDs, without further input by Caruana (see introduction).
Anyway, certainly an interesting offer!

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #40 - 12/02/20 at 18:31:42
Post Tools
The following link to New in Chess should work:

https://www.newinchess.com/en_US/caruana-s-ruy-lopez

tracke  Smiley

PS: June 1st 2021 ; 380 pages ; 35 $

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #39 - 12/02/20 at 12:00:41
Post Tools
FWIW,

That book can be found on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Caruanas-Ruy-Lopez-Repertoire-Players/dp/905691944X/ref=s...

Per the blurb:

Quote:
The Ruy Lopez is arguably the most classic of chess openings. White immediately starts the battle for the centre, fighting for the initiative. This strategic clarity has made the Ruy Lopez, or Spanish Opening, an eternal favourite with chess players at all levels. Inevitably, this popularity has also led to a wealth of opening theory.

In this book, Fabiano Caruana takes you by the hand and lays out a complete and practical White repertoire for club players. He avoids complicated chaotic lines, but doesn’t shy away from sharp battles. Caruana loves to find and use the tactics to punish Black for risky choices.

This one-volume and crystal-clear repertoire covers fifteen main variations, from the classical lines to the anti-Marshall (8.a4), and from the Schliemann (3…f5) to the Modern Steinitz. In an easy-to-grasp manner Caruana explains general characteristics, such as permanent weaknesses long-term goals, and is always looking for an advantage for White.

The insights of the World #2 in this classic opening, will not only greatly improve your results in the Ruy Lopez, but also sharpen your general chess knowledge.

The site says this title will be released June 29, 2021. Got a ways to go but Amazon will gratefully accept your pre-order money.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pantu
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 12/02/20 at 11:42:08
Post Tools
In the new in chess "Coming soon" section ("https://www.newinchess.com/coming-soon") there is a book with cover shown: "Caruana's Ruy Lopez: An White Repertoire for Club Players" by...Fabiano Caruana.  Clicking on it takes you to a wrong product, so no direct link possible yet.

I'd assume this is based on these DVDs but not enough information yet. If it is truly his work then he is easily the highest rated book author ever Smiley but I would have assumed he had more important things to do.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 12/21/19 at 08:44:15
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 12/18/19 at 13:50:47:
But then eg in the good old Steinitz defence, after 1.e4e5 2.Nf3Nc6 3.Bb5d6 4.d4exd4 5.Nxd4Bd7 6.0-0, he somehow only goes over 6..g6 followed by ..Ne7, not even mentioning the by far most popular Black setup (of 6..Nf6 followed by ..Be7); 8..Bd7 after 7..d6 8.a4 missing was mentioned in this thread already;

Snip

Pretty disappointed that I still don't even have a convincing solution that punishes Black for 3..d6 Sad

I haven't seen the videos, but thanks for the comments on them.

Anyhow, as far as I can tell, the new book "Squeezing 1. e4 e5: a Solid Strategic Approach" deals with the Steinitz Defence (after transposition). But I haven't checked the analysis to see what the authors recommend.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #36 - 12/18/19 at 13:50:47
Post Tools
In general this DVD set seems to have a bunch of holes in places, which is a shame.

The things Caru talks about things are all excellent (ok, he doesn't go into super depth and eg doesn't cover Gustafssons recommendation against 8.a4, but naturally you can't go over everything ever); if you actually do get one of his lines, you are good to go.

But then eg in the good old Steinitz defence, after 1.e4e5 2.Nf3Nc6 3.Bb5d6 4.d4exd4 5.Nxd4Bd7 6.0-0, he somehow only goes over 6..g6 followed by ..Ne7, not even mentioning the by far most popular Black setup (of 6..Nf6 followed by ..Be7); 8..Bd7 after 7..d6 8.a4 missing was mentioned in this thread already; and this feels like it carries through every line.

A random click into the first best video, accompanied with a DB: Open Spanish;
9.Qe2 has 407 games in the Lichess Master DB. 71x (2nd most popular move) 9..Bc5, 26x 9..Nc5.
9..Nc5 gets 25 minutes of coverage in the first video of the Open Defence; 9..Bc5 apparently deserves roughly 5 seconds ("10.Be3 Bxe3 Qxe3, Rd1 to follow" is all that Caru gives, with 10..Bxe3 already only being the third most popular move, at 11/55 games).

It's a treat to hear an SGM talk as always, but this certainly does not feel like a standalone complete repertoire.

Perhaps the series would've worked out a bit better if Caruana had focussed on actually laying out a repertoire, instead of talking at length about why he didn't choose variation X - so eg in the Open Spanish vid, there's 1.5 minutes of talk on current developments in 9.Nbd2; I personally would much rather have those 1.5 minutes spent on 9.Qe2 Bc5, something I will actually play and potentially encounter.
On the other hand, that type of general knowledge is of course always good to have, so who knows..

Overall, the Spanish is thankfully an opening, where omissions of concrete theory are rarely going to backfire badly for White, but I do think an Opening series shouldn't immediately leave me with a feel of "I would have liked better coverage of.. everything"
Perhaps it doesn't help that Spanish Mainline content has been undergoing an untterly dry spell, so rather than "I got 90% covered, and want some updates/alternatives on the critical lines", this was more of a "I want to learn everything" type of deal for me, but I do think that eg the Black series by Gustafsson vs 1.d4 @chess24 does its job of educating the viewer much better.
Pretty disappointed that I still don't even have a convincing solution that punishes Black for 3..d6 Sad

I do have to say though, that the original fear of Caruana lacking explanations and making a phonebook file series that's impossible to enjoy at sub-GM level was entirely unfounded.
Guidance is plenty, and following it is a breeze. He does a very good job at keeping the viewer engaged & able to watch multiple vids in a row, while retaining information & without breaking into a sweat.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 12/18/19 at 04:56:20
Post Tools
Does Caruana cover the old 6...Bb7 Archangel line? I don't see it listed in the contents on Chessbase.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo