Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What chess software can talk to "Cloud engines"? (Read 1498 times)
mattchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: What chess software can talk to "Cloud engines"?
Reply #6 - 11/23/19 at 21:23:46
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 10/01/19 at 09:40:07:
Is there chess interface / database software that can talk to a chess engine running on some Cloud server? Like send positions to them

ChessOK's Aquarium interface, especially its IDEA feature, does what you are looking for.  Using a tool called Rthomeserver installed on other PCs or servers you can run a UCI engine on another PC or server, and access it as a remote UCI engine through Aquarium.  The IDEA analysis mode allows parallel processing of positions using as many engine instances as you can gain access to, and then it uses minmax to update a tree with resulting evaluations.  It is one of the more popular analysis packages for ICCF correspondence players.

Chessbase also permits you to set up cloud engines on one PC running chessbase and then access those engines on a 2nd PC running chessbase (in this case no need for the Rthomeserver application and chessbase handles the setup).  You can use Chessbase's "Deep Cloud Analysis" feature to use multiple cloud engines to perform a deep analysis - (generally one identifying candidates and others evaluating candidates).  Chessbase will then expand the line with evaluations in the notation window, and will continue expanding the lines until you tell it to stop.  You can tell chessbase how many lines to evaluate - and you will generally want to assign more engine instances for more lines. 

If you don't want to purchase either of those my guess is you could get UCI engines working with most other GUI's using Rthomeserver.  So I would check whatever other GUI's you use to see if they support "remote UCI" engines.  If they do, then get Rthomeserver and set that up.  It is a free application.

There are other methods as well described in the link below which also provides the path to the download for Rthomeserver:

http://komodochess.com/remote-engine.htm

IP Logged

IM_Serious
YaBB Newbies

Bibliophile

Reply #5 - 10/02/19 at 12:57:50
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 10/02/19 at 10:06:12:
My problem is that I don't own Chessbase, have no interest in Chessbase, and its price is more or less the same as a GPU Smiley And I do know how to use SSH, but I don't like using the command line to do chess analysis and was wondering if something already existed. Something like a UCI-over-Internet protocol.

With ssh you already have UCI over the Internet.

For example if you are using SCID, set ssh as the command

and parameters specify the host and UCI engine.

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1262702059/58

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #4 - 10/02/19 at 10:06:12
Post Tools
My problem is that I don't own Chessbase, have no interest in Chessbase, and its price is more or less the same as a GPU Smiley And I do know how to use SSH, but I don't like using the command line to do chess analysis and was wondering if something already existed. Something like a UCI-over-Internet protocol.

But yes, most strong players already use Chessbase, and I agree that it wouldn't make much financial sense to create it as a service with its own GUI if Chessbase already has it.

Elsewhere someone mentioned https://nextchessmove.com/ , which offers pretty cheap lc0 analysis. It doesn't connect to a GUI and is pretty limited (always 15 secs per move) but apparently they are working on it. I think I'll use that for a bit.

I'm just interested in generating new ideas in some of my pet lines, and a very strong engine that has a different style compared to Stockfish might be just the ticket.

IP Logged

JFugre

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 10/02/19 at 06:22:41
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 10/01/19 at 22:38:15:
I wouldn't use Fat Fritz. You wouldn't be able to tune it (ChessBase uses your data to do that), and it runs in a GUI so it would be a PITA to capture the results.

There's no need to capture the results. As already said, the offering and use of cloud engines (including the original lc0) has been fully integrated into ChessBase for years. You can rent 64-core Stockfishes etc too.

Such a service would only be useful for people that need lc0, are willing to pay for it, need it *outside* ChessBase *and* aren't able to use ssh themselves. There aren't going to be many people sitting in that intersection.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #2 - 10/01/19 at 22:38:15
Post Tools
I wouldn't use Fat Fritz. You wouldn't be able to tune it (ChessBase uses your data to do that), and it runs in a GUI so it would be a PITA to capture the results.

You can search for "Cloud GPU" (e.g. https://cloud.google.com/gpu/) and pay per cycle (I have no idea of the cost in practice but assume it will be relatively expensive). Or you can use your own hardware (big upfront cost for the GPU) and pay relatively less for plain vanilla internet connectivity. With either setup:
  1. server runs lc0
  2. client machine (Windows, Mac or Linux) runs ssh in a terminal
  3. communicate with lc0 via uci protocol
  4. tee the terminal's standard output into a local file
If you have the know-how to get your server and lc0 up and running, you should have no problem also getting this to work.

IP Logged

JFugre

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 10/01/19 at 17:04:59
Post Tools
It's already a feature in ChessBase and "Fat Fritz" is literally lc0 in their cloud.

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

What chess software can talk to "Cloud engines"?
10/01/19 at 09:40:07
Post Tools
Is there chess interface / database software that can talk to a chess engine running on some Cloud server? Like send positions to them and store returned analysis.

If so, how could I make such a server, is there some common protocol?

I'm thinking of making a "Lc0 as a service" thing, for when I want to analyze using it (or other engines) but don't want to own a computer with a heavy GPU myself. But that would only be useful if there already was software that could use engines located in the cloud somewhere.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo