Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another Lakdawala Modern Repertoire (Read 1276 times)
Straggler

Re: Another Lakdawala Modern Repertoire
Reply #14 - 11/25/19 at 15:44:43
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 11/25/19 at 07:16:23:
Personally I think it rather naive to expect IM Lakdawala trying to be complete.

Yes, but only if you've already seen some of his books, or heard what they're like. He regularly gets 4- and 5-star reviews on Amazon. And this isn't a Starting Out or First Steps book: it's in the flagship Opening Repertoire series, alongside serious authors like Cummings, Houska, Sielecki, Lokander and of course Montany. (I assume the series hadn't been launched when Tony Rotella's excellent book appeared.)

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #13 - 11/25/19 at 13:36:30
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 11/25/19 at 03:28:18:
1.b3 has to rank very highly as an Anti-Modern.

Only if Black has a total aversion to playing ...Nf6.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 11/25/19 at 07:16:23
Post Tools
Personally I think it rather naive to expect IM Lakdawala trying to be complete. So it doesn't make much sense to complain.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #11 - 11/25/19 at 03:28:18
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 11/24/19 at 22:53:37:
Not many Modern books cover 1. b3 g6 or 1. e3 g6 for example.

1.e3 would not worry me in the slightest.
1.b3 has to rank very highly as an Anti-Modern.
1.h4 would also be persuasive.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #10 - 11/25/19 at 01:16:44
Post Tools
I didn't see it on their website, but Everyman emailed me a 2-for-1 offer. The same might be available to the general public, it's worth a try. I would take advantage, except my interest in the Modern has cooled somewhat. In the past I looked in detail at the Scandinavian and the Modern, for a third-string opening. At the moment I am somewhat attracted to the Alekhine. I'm not sure why. Maybe after I have looked at the Alekhine in similar detail my interests will change again.

Quote:
Dear Chess Friend,

Get both Opening Repertoire: The Modern Defence and The Modern Defence Move by Move for the price of one. Add both to cart and checkout to take advantage of this offer! You will get the foundation and a repertoire with two eBooks, which should complement each other perfectly.

Offer ends 11am Monday 25 November.

Best wishes from the team at Everyman Chess.

[snip/]

You received this email because you are registered with Everyman Chess

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #9 - 11/24/19 at 22:53:37
Post Tools
For me, a Modern repertoire would need close to every legal move for White's 2th move alternatives to 2. d4. From 2. b3 to 2. c4, to 2. d3, 2. h4, 2. f4, etc.

Plus alternatives for White's 1th move alternatives: 1. c4, 1. c3, 1. e3, 1. f4, 1. b3, 1. g3, etc.

The flexibility from Black's system means that White can choose a lot of deviations very quickly in the game. Not many Modern books cover 1. b3 g6 or 1. e3 g6 for example.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #8 - 11/24/19 at 22:20:27
Post Tools
They only need five more 5-star reviews to raise the average back to five stars! Who here likes the book?

I took a look at Soltis (1993) Black to Play and Win with 1...g6, 2nd edition ("A Complete Defensive System") and Norwood (1994) Winning with the Modern ("a complete practical guide"). Both of them are missing most of the same lines, with just a couple of exceptions. Soltis covers 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 c6 4.h4 and 4.Bf4. Norwood covers 1.d4 g6 2.h4.

I think the word complete is always subject to disagreement. I also think giving a 1-star rating over these missing lines is extreme, if there was nothing else wrong.

Edited:
typo complate -.> complete
« Last Edit: 11/25/19 at 00:55:57 by an ordinary chessplayer »  

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 11/24/19 at 21:08:47
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 11/24/19 at 20:39:31:
It should certainly be covered in a book marketed as a complete repertoire, even if the author prefers to say that his goal is "to increase the reader's understanding of the lines, not get caught up in the minutia [sic] of details".

For completeness a book on the Modern needs to suggest something against an early h4 punt. What do you do? Ignore it and let the pawn reach h5? If it does, do you take it and risk a Rxh5 sac if you take with the Knight? Otherwise should you stop it with .. h5?

As regards Bg5 and Bf4, a brief note that they are (almost) the same as Be3 might be welcome.

Lines with Bf4 are becoming important in games starting 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bf4 g6 3. Nc3 d6 4. e4

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #6 - 11/24/19 at 20:39:31
Post Tools
On 15 November a review of this book appeared on the Everyman website. It purports (I assume truthfully) to be by Dr Lutz Konrad, who has a peak rating of over 2200. He argues that the book does not provide a complete repertoire as promised, because many of White's options are missing.

The author has posted a response, arguing that the missing lines are not important: "If every line is [sic] included, the book would double in size." This is a bit rich, coming from an author who habitually wastes his allotted space on ridiculous metaphors and inane rambling. If he cut this stuff out, he would have room for more actual chess. (His response reads as oddly as his books. "At times, a rare move will always crop up early in the game"...? And he seems to think that "decry" is a grander synonym for "cry" or "complain".)

Anyway he does not claim that any of Dr Konrad's "missing" lines are in fact there, only that some of them may transpose to lines that are there; so I assume they are indeed missing. For me the most worrying of them is the set-up with d4, c4, Nf3 and e4 (Dr Konrad does not mention the Maroczy, so maybe it's there). ChessBase has well over 4,000 games in this line, so it's hardly a rare sideline. It should certainly be covered in a book marketed as a complete repertoire, even if the author prefers to say that his goal is "to increase the reader's understanding of the lines, not get caught up in the minutia [sic] of details".

On 22 November two further reviews appeared, one of which is by GM Max Illingworth. Both give the book five stars (Dr Konrad gave it one). Neither of them addresses Dr Konrad's criticisms. GM Illingworth's review gives the impression that he hasn't even read the book: he just likes the Modern. It is rather striking that these favourable and unspecific reviews should appear so quickly after such an unfavourable and specific one. Many of Everyman's books are not reviewed on the site at all.

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #5 - 11/16/19 at 08:05:55
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 11/15/19 at 15:43:35:
especially since there doesn’t appear to be an ebook version

it's just been finished and should be up pretty soon

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #4 - 11/15/19 at 15:43:35
Post Tools
It goes against the grain to buy anything by Lakdawala because he’s so unbelievably annoying — especially since there doesn’t appear to be an ebook version, which would at least enable me to edit out the purple prose — but I may have to make an exception in this case because I’m interested in both the Accelerated Gurgenidze and the Late Benoni, and there isn’t much else available on these lines. However, I’m wondering what happens if White refuses to go into a Benoni. I don’t see any mention of the Maroczy Bind: does Lakdawala suggest some way of avoiding it?

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #3 - 10/02/19 at 05:04:14
Post Tools
Is this 2...c6 then 3...d6, or 2...d6 then 3...c6.

It makes difference because to transpose to black-square defences against 1. d4, Black needs the full tempo to play ...c5 if White goes 1. e4 then puts his pawns on d4 and c4.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 10/02/19 at 03:56:13
Post Tools
Hi.

gillbod wrote on 10/01/19 at 14:44:00:
This time, he's advocating ...c6 lines on the whole.
Very interesting with c6 lines. Plus also there is no aversion to enter the Pirc when needed. Feels nice.

Against the Austrian, he's going for ...c6 then ...d5, while delaying ...Bg7
a.k.a. "the mongrel horde defense" obviously Smiley

Against the Averbakh, he's angling for a late Benoni-ish structures with ...Nge7.

Hope he has move orders and deviations thought out.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 10/01/19 at 20:24:00
Post Tools

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Another Lakdawala Modern Repertoire
10/01/19 at 14:44:00
Post Tools
Lakdawala has put out yet another repertoire using the Modern in the opening repertoire range.

This time, he's advocating ...c6 lines on the whole.

Against the Austrian, he's going for ...c6 then ...d5, while delaying ...Bg7, much like the old David Norwood repertoire book.

Against the Averbakh, he's angling for a late Benoni-ish structures with ...Nge7.

While I don't have high hopes for the exhaustive coverage, I do have to say that I generally like Lakdawala's choice of lines, and this looks like no exception.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo