Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) No fairplay in online chess? (Read 21634 times)
Jupp53
God Member

be

Re: No fairplay in online chess?
Reply #28 - 10/09/19 at 20:53:40
Post Tools
Monocle wrote on 10/08/19 at 22:12:15:
This sort of obnoxious time wasting isn't even limited to sore losers.  I've had blitz games online where I've overlooked a mate in one, and my opponent has let their clock run down to the very last second before delivering it.  Anyone care to speculate on what the purpose of that might be?

Simply giving the chance to resign and showing how awful it is to continue playing against an opponent allowing this. You complain because you don't resign.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Monocle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 10/09/19 at 15:22:27
Post Tools
brabo wrote on 10/09/19 at 07:26:06:
Then I teach them a lesson by also letting my clock run down so giving them the hope of getting a free point. In the last second I checkmate them after which they realize they are fooled themselves.

Unfortunately, the lesson you teach them is to time their resignation to when you have two seconds left.

IP Logged

Monocle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 10/09/19 at 15:20:08
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 10/09/19 at 05:22:17:
Anyone care to speculate on what the purpose of that might be?

They want to raise false hope.
They want you to "enjoy" utter defeat as long as possible.

Joke's on them, then, because I hadn't even noticed the mate.   Grin

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #25 - 10/09/19 at 14:55:11
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 10/09/19 at 08:45:43:
Such behaviours are discussed in the song by sardonic social satirists Half Man Half Biscuit, 'Bad Losers on Yahoo Chess'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8w3eW1huCM

Possibly the best ever track about playing chess online. Thanks Nigel.

Lyrics:
http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/csi-ambleside/bad-losers-on-yahoo-chess/

Brilliant, thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #24 - 10/09/19 at 13:36:17
Post Tools
Life is too short to get all worked up about bad behavior in meaningless on-line blitz games.

If they don’t resign, then there is no rematch.  Just move on to the next opponent.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #23 - 10/09/19 at 08:45:43
Post Tools
Such behaviours are discussed in the song by sardonic social satirists Half Man Half Biscuit, 'Bad Losers on Yahoo Chess'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8w3eW1huCM

Possibly the best ever track about playing chess online. Thanks Nigel.

Lyrics:
http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/csi-ambleside/bad-losers-on-yahoo-chess/

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #22 - 10/09/19 at 07:26:06
Post Tools
This sort of obnoxious time wasting isn't even limited to sore losers.  I've had blitz games online where I've overlooked a mate in one, and my opponent has let their clock run down to the very last second before delivering it.  Anyone care to speculate on what the purpose of that might be?

I sometimes do when my opponent deliberately first let their clock ran down for several minutes till there is only 1 second remaining on the clock while it is just checkmate on the next move and then an extra move is played just to profit from the fact that meanwhile I lost interest. Then I teach them a lesson by also letting my clock run down so giving them the hope of getting a free point. In the last second I checkmate them after which they realize they are fooled themselves. After that I normally have to close the chatterwindow as the things they write can be very ugly.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #21 - 10/09/19 at 05:22:17
Post Tools
Monocle wrote on 10/08/19 at 17:37:23:
Also known as the Von Bardeleben Manoeuvre.

Which is not entirely fair, because Von Bardeleben actually sent a messenger to resign. This was not accepted, so the arbiter let the clock run out of time. Von Bardeleben was quite eccentric.

Anyone care to speculate on what the purpose of that might be?

They want to raise false hope.
They want you to "enjoy" utter defeat as long as possible.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Monocle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 10/08/19 at 22:12:15
Post Tools

IP Logged

mañico_feroz
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 10/08/19 at 21:49:32
Post Tools
Regarding online blitz, I apply a simple formula when my opponent doesn't resign in an absolutely obvious position: i resign myself.

Yes, i do it absolutely always ... I also resign when my opponent plays something totally pointless, for example 1.h4 and 1.a4 (as one GM did once ..... ).

Before doing this, i raised my online rating to a number where i could have interesting games (2300-2400 range) and set the preference to challenge only ppl 100-200 points above me. I only play friendship games, not rated. This also helps in avoiding unethical behaviour.

And this way is much better. You don't play many games, but don't loose a single second of your time.

I deeply hate loosing my time.  Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Monocle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 10/08/19 at 17:37:23
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 10/07/19 at 23:40:21:
Actually, I've even seen it happen once in OTB chess. Some years ago, the opponent of one of my teammates in the 4NCL (the UK national league) simply left the playing hall and didn't bother returning once he realised his position was hopeless.

Also known as the Von Bardeleben Manoeuvre.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #17 - 10/08/19 at 15:48:41
Post Tools
I think there are a lot of different phenomena here that look the same from the receiving end. Some players just lose their internet connection when a train goes underground. Some surely minimize the browser window--some probably with regret because their mom or their boss walked in on them! If you're a GM (or any kind of M), you'll probably be winning when this happens because you are winning most of the time against unregistered players anyway. But I, who am no kind of M, have also had it happen when I'm losing.

Some, as Dink Heckler said, want to exact petty revenge for the humiliation of losing.  I've had players run down my clock from a lost position, then immediately pick up another game. Some even resign the instant before their clock runs down, just to show they've done it deliberately.

I think cases of petty malice are more rare than it sometimes feels, but any regular online player has suffered such treatment, and some may want to give as much as they think they've received. Anonymity can breed cynicism--just as the guy who cuts in front of me on the highway may be racing to his child's birth, but I think he's an SOB trying to humiliate me, so if you're a GM and make a lot of their LPs DO in a hurry, some opponents may conclude that you're using a computer and punish you for your supposed perfidy. It strikes me that online blitz, like driving, subjects people to many small shocks and frustrations, some of them unjust, and in such environments they can anger easily. (I think that must be one reason hockey players, but not cricket or baseball players, punch each other in the mouth.)

Whatever the cause of the freeze may be, I turn off chat and, like Jupp, do something else with my time while they run out my clock. I also have tried, out of self-interest,  to guard myself against anger, with somewhat better success now than when I was younger; at the same time, I try to enjoy the victory!
« Last Edit: 10/08/19 at 21:09:31 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 10/08/19 at 14:25:20
Post Tools
Do you mean with 'anonymously' unrated games on Lichess without an account?

Rated games have less toxic behaviour.

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

IM_Serious

Bibliophile

Reply #15 - 10/08/19 at 12:19:23
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/07/19 at 14:25:07:
almost none of them resigned - at least two thirds just let their time run out rather than resign! Is this normal?

Yes, but I don't imagine they are stubbornly pouting while watching the clock tick down.

Patzer blunders, then patzer closes the browser window...

IP Logged

JFugre

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 10/08/19 at 07:53:15
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/07/19 at 19:35:32:
Yes, I guess I should register, get my rating up and then play better players who know when to resign (?!)

They will still try to flag you, but there will be repercussions for just sitting and letting time run out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo