Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) No fairplay in online chess? (Read 21633 times)
Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Re: No fairplay in online chess?
Reply #73 - 11/08/19 at 09:50:34
Post Tools
Monocle wrote on 11/07/19 at 19:57:48:
Lauri Torni wrote on 11/07/19 at 08:46:31:
Monocle wrote on 11/06/19 at 22:54:17:
Lauri Torni wrote on 11/06/19 at 08:40:31:
Monocle wrote on 10/08/19 at 22:12:15:
This sort of obnoxious time wasting isn't even limited to sore losers.  I've had blitz games online where I've overlooked a mate in one, and my opponent has let their clock run down to the very last second before delivering it.  Anyone care to speculate on what the purpose of that might be?

The idea is obviously to punish you for your supposedly bad behavior (not resigning).

If your opponent has overlooked a mate in an otherwise equal position, why would you expect them to resign? And how do you find out whether they will resign or not unless you first let the clock run down instead of just playing the mate?

Obviously this person thought so. In this case his/her/they/its/hir/xyr/vis/pers/eir/aer idea was wrong.

I suppose I did ask for speculation on their motivations, but I think it rather more likely they were just being a dick because they could, like every other troll.

When you talk about chess players, everything is possible. Many players I know aren't really gentlemen/gentlewomen/gentletwomyn/gentlewimmin/gentlealiens.

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Reply #72 - 11/08/19 at 01:12:19
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 11/07/19 at 16:13:10:
You forgot a special pronoun for trolls. "Hair," perhaps?

Oh, silly me  Grin
« Last Edit: 11/08/19 at 09:40:18 by Lauri Torni »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #71 - 11/07/19 at 23:39:07
Post Tools
tp2205 wrote on 11/06/19 at 03:02:45:
Stigma wrote on 11/06/19 at 00:00:49:
This thread reminds me why I prefer playing blitz and bullet with an increment if possible - it cuts out the incentives for much of this nonsense.

Sadly I seem to be in the minority here, so it's often hard to find games with increments. The servers even further encourage non-increment play by creating special categories like 1 0, 3 0 and 5 0 and making them especially easy to find!  Angry

Lichess has easy-to-find buttons for 2+1, 3+2, 5+3 bullet/blitz games. The reason I stopped playing on chess24 is the lack of such options.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking mostly of ICC and Chess24, which both seemingly want to encourage non-increment play.

I do have a Lichess account, but it's in a name that makes me very easy to identify for people who know me. So I wonder if it's OK to have multiple accounts on Lichess - then I would be able to have a second, secret account to test my opening prep. Does anybody know whether that's allowed?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Monocle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #70 - 11/07/19 at 19:57:48
Post Tools
Lauri Torni wrote on 11/07/19 at 08:46:31:
This sort of obnoxious time wasting isn't even limited to sore losers.  I've had blitz games online where I've overlooked a mate in one, and my opponent has let their clock run down to the very last second before delivering it.  Anyone care to speculate on what the purpose of that might be?

The idea is obviously to punish you for your supposedly bad behavior (not resigning).

If your opponent has overlooked a mate in an otherwise equal position, why would you expect them to resign? And how do you find out whether they will resign or not unless you first let the clock run down instead of just playing the mate?

Obviously this person thought so. In this case his/her/they/its/hir/xyr/vis/pers/eir/aer idea was wrong.

I suppose I did ask for speculation on their motivations, but I think it rather more likely they were just being a dick because they could, like every other troll.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #69 - 11/07/19 at 17:52:07
Post Tools
If, when I have plenty of time on my clock in a completely winning position, someone either plays on or stops moving, I'll sometimes say "..." in the chat.  Partly to test my connection (which often goes bad where I live), and partly to give them a nudge that what they're doing is silly.  Sometimes that prompts a quick resignation, and then we can start a new game.  I'm sure that other opponents of mine think it's rude.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #68 - 11/07/19 at 16:13:10
Post Tools
You forgot a special pronoun for trolls. "Hair," perhaps?
« Last Edit: 11/08/19 at 00:46:36 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Reply #67 - 11/07/19 at 08:46:31
Post Tools

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #66 - 11/06/19 at 23:06:55
Post Tools
I think that the way for the administrators of online chess playing sites to handle this is to be more brutally transparent. So, if a player is found letting their time run out, hatequitting, verbally abusing opponents and other rubbish, they should get a title stuck to part of their username. The title should be something obvious like "a___hole" or something so that when people are seeking opponents for a match, they know to avoid people with those tags.

I remember how ICC had the label (C) for both computers and computer cheaters tagged at the end of usernames. Maybe online chess sites could create the label (a___hole) tagged to the end of usernames in the same way.

And not only that, every week publish a list of usernames who got added to the "a___hole" list and have this list shown publicly on the site.

My brutal honesty in dealing with these things is showing, but that is how I would handle it.

IP Logged

Monocle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #65 - 11/06/19 at 22:54:17
Post Tools

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #64 - 11/06/19 at 15:09:34
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 11/05/19 at 21:40:50:
Sometimes in bullet I play 1 d4 and then premove 2 Bg5 in the hopes that Black plays something like ...d5 and ...e6. It works more often than you'd expect.

But, 1...e6 is a relatively common reply to 1. d4. I think that's dangerous premoving.

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #63 - 11/06/19 at 13:15:43
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 11/05/19 at 21:40:50:
Sometimes in bullet I play 1 d4 and then premove 2 Bg5 in the hopes that Black plays something like ...d5 and ...e6. It works more often than you'd expect.

Haha! This reminds me of a great passage in Sosonko's Smart Chip from St Petersburg, about Genrikh Chepukaitis, about whom he writes:
"The 1958 Leningrad Blitz Championship was won by Viktor Kortchnoi. Second place was shared by Boris Spassky, Mark Taimanov and a first-category player who had beaten all the grandmasters in individual encounters. The name of this first-category player was Genrikh Chepukaitis, a modest master in classical chess but a true grandmaster in blitz.”

He writes about Chepukaitis's predilection for 1. d4 d5, 2. Bg5:
"The idea of this move was revealed with the greatest effect in a game between Chepukaitis and Taimanov at one of the city blitz championships, when after the moves 1 .d4 d5 2.Ag5 his opponent, caught by surprise, played 2...e6. In the same instant the black queen disappeared from the board as if Chepukaitis hadn't even expected any other move, and the grandmaster, pushing the pieces together, said angrily, 'You should be selling beer, not playing chess.'"  Grin

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Reply #62 - 11/06/19 at 11:16:43
Post Tools
When my opponent refuses to resign I prefer to empty the board from the opponents pieces and then promote as many queens as possible before mating.  My record is something like five queens, rook + a few other pieces against a lonely king. Trying to avoid a stalemate keeps me awake.

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Reply #61 - 11/06/19 at 08:40:31
Post Tools

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Reply #60 - 11/06/19 at 08:30:41
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/07/19 at 14:25:07:
I decided to play some blitz games anonymously online the other day, mostly against very weak players, and I was surprised that almost none of them resigned - at least two thirds just let their time run out rather than resign! Is this normal?

I play at chess.com (my blitz rating is there ca. 2200) and I regularly block players due to this. Not often, but regularly. A few days ago I played against a 2200+ player. He stopped playing soon after being a piece down. I checked his chess.com page and there were tens of complaints of his rogue behavior.

That great game can be found here:
https://www.chess.com/live/game/4175868264

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #59 - 11/06/19 at 04:46:32
Post Tools
Me too. 3+2 is my default choice at Lichess, with occasional 2+1.
The buttons to choose common time limits are a great idea.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo