Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Which road to the Sveshnikov ? (Read 3192 times)
BadDays
YaBB Newbies

aspiring patzer

Re: Which road to the Sveshnikov ?
Reply #3 - 10/28/19 at 18:54:11
Post Tools
As MNb said, I would be inclined to avoid the 4 Knights unless you have an improvement over Kotronias and Semkov's analyses in their book and Shaw's analysis in his 1.e4 repertoire. Even then, those positions seem far more dangerous to me than the Rossolimo and 7.Nd5 lines where black is doing totally fine, but I suppose it is a matter of taste.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 10/27/19 at 07:48:06
Post Tools
Bogojump wrote on 10/27/19 at 03:11:13:
What is your opinion ? What move order would you chose and why ?

Second question first: none, because I never played the Svesh and don't intend to in the foreseaable future.
It's because I disagree with Bragesjo for once that I reply. GM Kotronias and IM Semkov in their Attacking the Flexible Sicilian have gone at great lengths to discredit the Four Knights. At the other hand for instance WCh Carlsen has shown how to deal with the Anti-Sveshnikov variation 7.Nd5. As White can't prove an objective advantage with the Rossolimo either the conclusion must be that 2...Nc6 is the more accurate move order.
Of course subjective reasons still may make your prefer the suboptimal route via the Four Knights. You won't hear me complain, as I myself play the Dutch as Black.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #1 - 10/27/19 at 07:22:29
Post Tools
Its a mater of taste  2 .. e6 rules out Bb5 black is committed to e6 vs  both c3 or g3 setups.

I may also depending on your level since most club players plays anti sicilians while open Sicilian becomes more popular at hieger levels.

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Which road to the Sveshnikov ?
10/27/19 at 03:11:13
Post Tools
We have two ways to reach the Sveshnikov (I am excluding routes via Kalashnikov and maybe Taimanov).
1. The "official" move order for the Sveshnikov.

2. Via the Sicilian 4-knights move order.

Pros and cons ?
I have an old book written by GM Michael Rohde:  'Play the Sveshnikov!'  where he recommends the Sicilian 4-knights move order :
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3  e6! (Rohdes exclam mark.) 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Nc6 6.Ndb5 d6 7. Bf4 e5  8.Bg5
This move order takes one more move to reach the Sveshnikov . GM Rhode writes :
"The practical result of this is that white can not reach some of the anti-sveshnikov lines ,while the "learning curve " for players wanting to employ this sharp defense is greatly reduced".
White can not play the Rossolimo variation (1.e4 c5 2. Nc6 Bb5) vs the Sicilian 4-knights move order.
On the other hand white has the chance to chose to play vs the Sicilian 4-knights instead, or rather black must be prepared to play the Sicilian 4-knights .
Accordning to GM Roman Dzindzichasvilli and GM Lev Alburt black must be ready to face the Rossolimo in approximately 23 % of all his games if he chooses the "official" Sveshnikov move order.
What is your opinion ? What move order would you chose and why ? Perhaps it goes down to whether you prefer to play vs the Rossolimo or if you want to play the Sicilian 4-knights (?). And of course if you prefer to avoid some other side variations of the Sveshnikov sicilian you have to meet if you chose the "official" move order.

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo