Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Modernised Berlin Wall (Read 23253 times)
halbstark

Just an average FM

Re: Modernised Berlin Wall
Reply #35 - 05/11/20 at 19:48:26
Post Tools
I just got the book and I have to say, that I am very disappointed.
Let´s start with the positive things: The author analyses not only the Berlin Endgame, but also lines like the 4.d3-variation or the 4-knights. Nothing to take for granted in books about the Berlin Wall.
But I have a lot of problems with the book.
1.) The biggest drawback is, that most moves and lines are given without any explanation! His analysis might be objectively fine for all I know - I haven´t checked it yet-, but all I see is a bunch of engine lines. I thought this kind of book disappeared since the early 2000´s, when authors recognized, that their readers are more interested in plans and ideas. This leads to my second point:
2.)Nowhere in the book I find any explanation, what black is aiming at in certain structures. I mean, for example the Berlin Endgame is pretty much defined by its pawn structure, so IMHO you should definetly include model games, what kind of transitions you should avoid at all costs with black and in which positions, you might even think about playing for the win.  Such a part is completely missing. Even worse: Sometimes he writes stuff like: "The White plan in this position is easier to formulate than blacks" and then he stops and doesn´t even explain, what the White plan is. It feels quite bizarre.
3.) The (engine) lines are chosen very selective. Quite often in the book he just starts a line (even in absolutely unforcing positions) on move 15,ends it 7 moves (14 half-moves) later and gives it an evaluation, without looking at other alternatives within this line (and obviously without any explanation, why this certain line should be considered to be particularly important. To my eyes the lines given look very random.
4.) The diagrams are annoyingly small
5.) Sometimes he writes stuff like: "And here we reached a position, where the players played an instructive game" and not only does he not explain, what it is, that makes the game instructive. He doesn´t even give the following moves, so the reader has to search for the game himself in a database, if he wants to see the follow up.
6.) On the last page he cites a hundred games to study, to learn more about the Berlin Endgame. That is something I find absolutely ridiculous. If you give so many games, you should prioritize them! Or divide them into different themes. (It would not be that hard. Just give the headline: "Here are some games, where White was successful on the kingside" and then put the fitting games below that and categorize the others games in similar fashion.) It is as if the author wants to say: lol, I forgot to teach you anything substantial for your understanding, so get yourself another source and learn it there, lol.
And to make it clear: He doesn´t give 100 games with moves. He just writes the games´meta data:
"Volokitin - Eljanov, Foros 2008
Gashimov Aronian - Sochi 2008
...."

I would definetly not recommend this book, if you want to learn this opening.

« Last Edit: 05/11/20 at 22:04:00 by halbstark »  

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 04/01/20 at 01:20:25
Post Tools
belgian wrote on 03/31/20 at 01:10:42:
It’s 9. Nc3 a5!?.

Does the author make a good case for this variation?....a quick look at the databases suggests it has not been played a lot recently..(fashion or in trouble).

IP Logged

belgian

Passionate about chess
and poker...

Reply #33 - 03/31/20 at 01:10:42
Post Tools
fjd wrote on 03/03/20 at 06:46:40:
Do we know what 9th move system is recommended in the ending?

It’s 9. Nc3 a5!?.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #32 - 03/03/20 at 06:46:40
Post Tools
Do we know what 9th move system is recommended in the ending?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #31 - 11/21/19 at 06:40:44
Post Tools
On a side note, I don't know what the latest greatest thinking on 7. a4 d6 is, but it will always remind me of Halprin-Pillsbury (described as "Prepared Analysis vs. Genius!" in The Golden Treasury of Chess, a book I acquired as a child).

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #30 - 11/21/19 at 04:46:06
Post Tools
I'd be very interested in the Berlin if I was guaranteed to play the Ending;
But I'm not that sold on 5.Re1, nor on 5..d4 Nd6 6.de5: Nb5: 7.a4 ever being any fun.

..Now that I say this, how playable is 7.a4 d6? That looks perfectly valid at a cursory glance, without allowing White to force a draw in 10 moves?

P.S. Is there a particular reason this thread didn't land in the Berlin subforum?

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #29 - 11/21/19 at 00:41:25
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 11/20/19 at 23:03:10:
I'm sorry if I insulted you. That wasn't my intention.

I was just genuinely unsure whether there was some appreciation for the DDR in the post as well, with the patriotic song and all, in addition to the obvious criticism contained in the cartoon.

I hope it's OK to ask when I'm unsure how to interpret a post.

No, that is fine, but I was referring to your reply to MNb in that post, not you directly.

Personally, I do think that some Eastern bloc countries did some good in the elimination of poverty and (at least attempting to) eliminate social and economic class. Like motörhead said, DDR always had a better social safety net for the lower-income compared to for example, a very rich country like USA. So there is admiration in DDR for that. Definitely not for its lunatic authoritarianism. Remember that Trotsky was Stalin's and Stalinism's arch-enemy.

And anyway, DDR's anthem is very nice. It is the type of song that I would listen to a few times before a tournament game.

I am thinking of taking up the Berlin Wall as a reply to 1. e4 as well, so there is that too. Studying Berlin theory to the tune of Aufenstanden aus Ruinen for this winter sounds quite pleasant.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #28 - 11/20/19 at 23:37:59
Post Tools
It's useless to discuss politics here. It should happen in forums where this is a purpose or part of the culture. This culture lacks here, so I'd like the moderator to remove the anti-communist posts and the post about the GDR.

Anyway, a joke is the only good continuation. Why do the chinese always smile? They still have their wall.  Cheesy

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #27 - 11/20/19 at 23:03:10
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 11/20/19 at 19:36:39:
I support neither Brezhnev nor Hönecker. Neither of them should have been the one to lead their respective countries. But then again, neither should have Stalin.

Stigma wrote on 11/20/19 at 14:45:40:
Yes, the message in the picture was negative, obviously. The song and video in the Youtube link and the word "commemorate", on the other hand, were positive (or, alternatively, ironic).

So all I said was it could be that Leon_Trotsky meant exactly what he said. I half expected him to clear that up himself. I was open to both possibilties, and that is somehow closed-minded?

I think you're just being needlessly hostile here.

It was my attempt at irony. But apparently my non=literal messages always seem to get misconstrued.

In any case, people hurl insults at me on a daily basis. Receiving a few more here is not really that much for me.

I'm sorry if I insulted you. That wasn't my intention.

I was just genuinely unsure whether there was some appreciation for the DDR in the post as well, with the patriotic song and all, in addition to the obvious criticism contained in the cartoon.

I hope it's OK to ask when I'm unsure how to interpret a post.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

dali
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 11/20/19 at 22:07:44
Post Tools
I came here for a discussion on a chess book...

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #25 - 11/20/19 at 20:48:16
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 11/20/19 at 19:48:14:
Nor Trotsky.

Rubbish. There would have been no Berlin Wall under Trotsky. West Germany would have been communist as well.

This all assuming that the Second World War had started as it did. If Trotsky had come to power in 1924, I am sure that Germany would have become communist, stopping Hitler from gaining popularity and being elected in the first place.

Not by me, but as a Dutchman I understand German as well as English. Moreover I had seen the cartoon and the text before.

My point was that the Berlin Wall as an opening is extremely popular only after the actual Berlin Wall fell.

But the USA has a political system that makes it possible, even if it's difficult, to correct such injustices, while the DDR had not. Nor had the Soviet-Union when Trotsky still held a powerful position. Trotsky was as cruel a suppressor as Stalin, as my political soulmates in Russia 1919-1922 learned the hard way. Your nick doesn't speak for you, no matter how much I like your comments on chess.

I have lived in USA for many years. The system is an oligarchy, More like a libertarian capitalist's dream. The working man's nightmare.

And after hundreds of years there is still no universal healthcare. Tens of millions of Americans perished due to being unable to afford healthcare. The only way is a highly reformer-like president. When Bernie Sanders defeats Trump next year and becomes president it can happen. I do not see why if someone less rigid like Hönecker were in power, DDR could reform as well.

The American comedian George Carlin said, "It is called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it."

IP Logged

motörhead

Here comes the bass, thunder
in the guts...

Reply #24 - 11/20/19 at 20:06:52
Post Tools
I support neither Brezhnev nor Hönecker. Neither of them should have been the one to lead their respective countries. But then again, neither should have Stalin..

Nor Trotsky.

We can forward this to a few more countries, even actual ones.
What puzzles more than a bit is the fact, that the fall of the so called communists later lead to the rise of rigth-wing-figures that can well be called fascists.
And more than ever it becomes clear that politics is the mere art of lying. Take for example the former leftwing-president Obama who is now a clear conservative. No "left" experiments. Change? Well, yes. But. Not now.
Or take the actual president Trump. Who is nothing but a constant and consequent lier.
Should such characters lead contries? Taking the problems ahead serious the answer should be clear. But Democracy has given it (that's the difference to the USSR, but it makes it no better).
Okay, Trump didn't even achieve the majority at all. But that's a system's fault. And he will try to hit the gap again.

A walk trough the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #23 - 11/20/19 at 19:48:14
Post Tools
I support neither Brezhnev nor Hönecker. Neither of them should have been the one to lead their respective countries. But then again, neither should have Stalin..

Nor Trotsky.

It was my attempt at irony. But apparently my non=literal messages always seem to get misconstrued.

Not by me, but as a Dutchman I understand German as well as English. Moreover I had seen the cartoon and the text before.

Leon_Trotsky wrote on 11/20/19 at 19:42:09:
Almost 30 million people have no healthcare in USA, and over a third of all Americans live paycheque to paycheque. Even in the worst moments of DDR this would not have happened.

But the USA has a political system that makes it possible, even if it's difficult, to correct such injustices, while the DDR had not. Nor had the Soviet-Union when Trotsky still held a powerful position. Trotsky was as cruel a suppressor as Stalin, as my political soulmates in Russia 1919-1922 learned the hard way. Your nick doesn't speak for you, no matter how much I like your comments on chess.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #22 - 11/20/19 at 19:42:09
Post Tools
motörhead wrote on 11/20/19 at 18:20:17:
Just look at the USA a country deeply devided, with lots of people suffering in ways (in concern to Living Standards) worse then in the former GDR in the early eighties (that is a matter of statistics). Just compare the care factor.

Almost 30 million people have no healthcare in USA, and over a third of all Americans live paycheque to paycheque. Even in the worst moments of DDR this would not have happened.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #21 - 11/20/19 at 19:36:39
Post Tools
I support neither Brezhnev nor Hönecker. Neither of them should have been the one to lead their respective countries. But then again, neither should have Stalin.

Stigma wrote on 11/20/19 at 14:45:40:
Yes, the message in the picture was negative, obviously. The song and video in the Youtube link and the word "commemorate", on the other hand, were positive (or, alternatively, ironic).

So all I said was it could be that Leon_Trotsky meant exactly what he said. I half expected him to clear that up himself. I was open to both possibilties, and that is somehow closed-minded?

I think you're just being needlessly hostile here.

In any case, people hurl insults at me on a daily basis. Receiving a few more here is not really that much for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo