Latest Updates:
Normal Topic hash memory with multiple engine instances (Read 363 times)
mattchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: hash memory with multiple engine instances
Reply #2 - 11/24/19 at 00:57:08
Post Tools
Thanks - looks like my 2048 is not that absurd but I'll need to do some experimenting myself.  In my case my interest is for use during analysis - not engine competitions.  So generally to depths of 30 or more.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: hash memory with multiple engine instances
Reply #1 - 11/23/19 at 23:55:47
Post Tools
I think this discussion is quite good. For TLDR; see the Peter Grayson results chart at 2013-07-13 22:11 -
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforum/topic_show.pl?tid=27310

As Grayson says repeatedly, the important thing is to conduct your own tests. "Best" hash size per engine depends on all of hardware, engine, gui, time control, and number of engines per machine. It's complicated, but 2 GB per engine might be overkill. Or it might be whoever suggested that is living in the past.

IP Logged

mattchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

hash memory with multiple engine instances
11/23/19 at 21:34:23
Post Tools
Looking for some advice.  I recently suggested in another forum that I was using 2048 mb per engine instance and it was suggested this is overkill.

Anyone have any advice and suggested rationale for how much memory to allocate for hash memory?  Or a link to a good discussion of the topic?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo