Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Grivas Opening Laboratory (Read 6042 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Grivas Opening Laboratory
Reply #19 - 01/16/20 at 21:06:33
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 01/16/20 at 17:40:46:
What kind of game white gets playing this way? Just curious. Is it followed up with g3? Thanks.

4.Nbd2 against the Slav is often followed by a later Nf3-h4, getting the two bishops. Yes, White often does fianchetto his king's bishop as well. There is a lot more poison here than you might expect: White scores quite well, and it's been used by very strong GMs in important games.  It might be a perfect anti-Slav line for club players.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 01/16/20 at 17:40:46
Post Tools
mangler wrote on 12/09/19 at 16:30:05:
Good memory Bibs! 4.Nbd2 vs the slav was covered in CBM 123. No idea about Neighbours, Mangler is just a nickname.

What kind of game white gets playing this way? Just curious. Is it followed up with g3? Thanks.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 12/19/19 at 19:45:10
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 12/19/19 at 10:00:55:
I got this book just today, looks interesting. The bibliography has a few of his works.

The language sounds a bit weird in places. On p. 143, introduction to the Slav chapter, there is a paragraph that says,

So, either the white player has to work hard for his survivor (nobody quarantines him an advantage), or he can 'discover' a not so well analysed and played system which can offer surprise value but also it can be developed in a lethal weapon when it is well analysed.

I think that I understand kind of the second half of this sentence. However, the first half sounds baffling to me.

Quarantines means perhaps “guarantees”!? But yes, the English can be improved.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #16 - 12/19/19 at 10:00:55
Post Tools
I got this book just today, looks interesting. The bibliography has a few of his works.

The language sounds a bit weird in places. On p. 143, introduction to the Slav chapter, there is a paragraph that says,

So, either the white player has to work hard for his survivor (nobody quarantines him an advantage), or he can 'discover' a not so well analysed and played system which can offer surprise value but also it can be developed in a lethal weapon when it is well analysed.

I think that I understand kind of the second half of this sentence. However, the first half sounds baffling to me.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 12/09/19 at 20:15:43
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 12/08/19 at 10:11:03:
Yes, Nbd2 v Slav is indicated on p.11 of the sample.

I remember he wrote about this line somewhere else prior. CB magazine was it?

Grivas also covered this line for one of Jeroen Bosch's SOS files, IIRC.

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 12/09/19 at 16:30:05
Post Tools
Good memory Bibs! 4.Nbd2 vs the slav was covered in CBM 123. No idea about Neighbours, Mangler is just a nickname.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #13 - 12/09/19 at 07:49:37
Post Tools
I think that the Classical Slav is equal in all of the main lines, so White has to resort to these weird deviations to try to trick Black early.

4. g3 would be a recommendation that he could have given, but Black can transpose into the solid Fianchetto Grünfeld with 4...g6, probably surprising White even more than surprising Black.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 12/08/19 at 12:47:14
Post Tools
Apart from the slightly odd repertoire, I'd be interested if in the books there is plenty of verbal explanations for the lines, too. A long number of lines and variations in quasi-ECO style, ending with a "White is clearly better" or so, won't help me in any way. I already have a lot of books in that style. So, if anyone is going to buy the book, a short review would be very welcomed.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #11 - 12/08/19 at 10:11:03
Post Tools
Yes, Nbd2 v Slav is indicated on p.11 of the sample.

I remember he wrote about this line somewhere else prior. CB magazine was it?

The collection of lines is a curious mix, certainly. Odd. As the previous poster Mangler (nice name! Related to Mrs Mangel from Neighbours?)) indicates, this may be a revised 'greatest article hits' collection, which may explain the slightly scattergun approach. Not opining that that is 'bad', just wondering...

« Last Edit: 12/08/19 at 11:11:12 by Bibs »  

IP Logged

mangler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 12/07/19 at 15:45:12
Post Tools
According to the pdf sample, he covers 4.Nbd2 vs the Slav. The intro to Grivas' Chessbase Magazine survey on the Ragozin (not sure of the issue as I have the CB opening encyclopedia) outlines a proposed repertoire based on a combination of his book mentioned by winawer77, CBM and New in Chess Yearbook articles. There are some coverage gaps, so the new series should address that.

Of course his views may have changed and it is just my guess, but CBM 126 and 127 cover the Queen's Indian. He proposes 4.g3 and meets the 4...Ba6 line with 5.Qb3.

I like Grivas' work, and am looking forward to this series.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/07/19 at 13:20:03
Post Tools
OK, so it's a repertoire for White... To those who know, what is the suggested line vs the Slav in Vol. 1, and what is Grivas probably going to suggest vs 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6?

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #8 - 12/07/19 at 07:47:06
Post Tools
Definitely interested in this. I’ve been using Grivas’ old Gambit book for years now - Beating the Fianchetto Defenses. It looks like he’s going to recommend the same systems here, which is great (for me).

Expect 6.h3 in the King’s Indian, 4.Nf3 in the Benko and the main line with h3 and Bd3 in the Benoni. If he’s keeping to the same systems that is.

The only issue is that Chess Evolution books tend to be hard to navigate. The variations are packed so densely that once you start down a sub-variation it’s very easy to lose your way. I have the Ragozin book by Cornette, and while I like his recommendations and don’t doubt the quality of his analysis, I find the actual book itself impossible to navigate, so I just don’t use it. I hope that won’t be the case here.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

всем!

Reply #7 - 12/07/19 at 00:24:56
Post Tools
In the foreword, it says:

Dear Reader,
Th e series starting with this book is
aimed in offering a full white repertoire based on 1.d4.
The idea of small opening repertoire
books is not new, but here the purpose and the presentation is diff erent.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 12/06/19 at 22:42:01
Post Tools

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #5 - 12/06/19 at 22:31:04
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 12/06/19 at 21:09:59:
This looks like a white repertoire list, not a black one.

Me too. So let's wait if there is soon a preview.  Wink

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo