Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Books advocating the main line Slav for White? (Read 3480 times)
semper_fidelis
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Books advocating the main line Slav for White?
Reply #9 - 12/23/19 at 18:40:22
Post Tools
MW wrote on 12/23/19 at 17:46:59:
Although it is a little old now and hard to get, if you play 5 Bg5 after 4...e6 Lars Schandorff's Playing 1 d4 The Queens Gambit,  may be worth a look. 

It is available on forwardchess. And recommends 6.Ne5 instead of 6.e3 in main line Slav.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 12/23/19 at 17:46:59
Post Tools
A bit tricky as black is probably more likely to play the more popular 4...e6 heading for a semi Slav rather than 4..dxc4.

So it depends a little on what you play as white against 4...e6 to decide which book may suit you best.

Although it is a little old now and hard to get, if you play 5 Bg5 after 4...e6 Lars Schandorff's Playing 1 d4 The Queens Gambit,  may be worth a look. 

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #7 - 12/23/19 at 17:06:55
Post Tools
By the way, I have a vague recollection of something about Erwin L'Ami having played this (the Dutch Slav) instructively with White.  I wonder where I saw that (if indeed I did) ...it doesn't appear to be Chess Publishing.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #6 - 12/23/19 at 15:16:28
Post Tools
https://shop.chessbase.com/en/products/kasimdzhanov_slav_60min

This is 9.90 euro to download. Or, you can sign up for a 1-month ChessBase premium account for 4.99 euro, and view it online included in your premium account - as well as any other 60-minutes videos that you have time to view in a month.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 12/23/19 at 12:22:48
Post Tools
Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll look into them. The Sadler book and the DVD by Rustam.  Cool

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 12/22/19 at 16:14:56
Post Tools
@grandpatzer — Rustam Kasimdzhanov’s Chessbase DVD ”Beating the Classical Slav” is exactly what you are looking for.  He explains the ideas and strategies wonderfully and the whole DVD is only 60 minutes long.  I know you asked for a book and not a DVD, but the DVD is really the best thing out there.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #3 - 12/22/19 at 12:33:10
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 12/22/19 at 12:08:17:
I am mainly interested in verbal explanations of ideas and strategies in this line.

If this is what you're after, there's arguably no particular reason why the book needs to recent. What about Matthew Sadler's book, The Slav? (Coincidentally, I've just recommended another of his works in a different thread.) It was written in 1997, but as it focuses on ideas and explanations rather than theoretical detail, it might suit your purposes. It gives an overview of the opening and is not explicitly aimed at players of either White or Black. In my view, Sadler writes very clearly and informatively, and although I think his books are aimed at weaker players, I learned a lot from both this and his work on the Queen's Gambit Declined when I was rated in the 2100s. I've just Googled it, and it's still available at cover price.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/22/19 at 12:08:17
Post Tools
Thank you for the suggestions. I am mainly interested in verbal explanations of ideas and strategies in this line. Maybe even "Chess Explained, the Main Line Slav" by Vigorito, could be an option for me. Lets see if other books show up.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #1 - 12/21/19 at 12:27:36
Post Tools
I can't recall the last time a white repertoire recommended the main line. There is Sakaev (2nd edition 2013) The Complete Slav II, I am not sure if that is recent enough for you.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Books advocating the main line Slav for White?
12/21/19 at 10:14:21
Post Tools
Are there any fairly recent books - I mean actual paper books: not DVDs, videos, Chesstable products or similar - analyzing the main line Slav from White's perspective? I mean, 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4 5.a4 Bf5 6.e3. I mean, repertoire books or even complete books on this line, but not repertoire books for Black. I would like to implement it in my repertoire for White.

Any feedback or answer would be much appreciated.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo