Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Odessky again on b3 & b6 (Read 7592 times)
Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Odessky again on b3 & b6
Reply #12 - 09/17/20 at 12:01:46
Post Tools
I agree that the game information missing is strange, but it is Odessky and therefore interesting and downright fun to read.

IP Logged

FizzySoda
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 08/04/20 at 15:07:57
Post Tools
I only took a look at the pdf preview, so maybe what im about to say is not reflected in the actual book.  It is weird that the games don't have any game information listed. The player names are not listed, date, tournament etc...

I just find this weird, i know that it doesn't really have any impact on the quality of the book. I do think it is a sign of a book being rushed to print, in other words missing the small details.

keep in mind this is a small complaint, and really only a deviation from a common practice.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #10 - 07/17/20 at 22:54:04
Post Tools
Just had a first glance at it. But I’m tired and don’t have much knowledge about 1...b6

Yes, the real Odessky again: funny and dialectic but always instructive!
If you really want to build up a complete repertoire with 1.b3 or 1...b6 , you can see this book as an useful & necessary update to Odessky‘s books from 2003 and 2008. But you don‘t need to, you can just read this one and learn something about tricks & traps, schemes,  practical chess, human tragedies and why we don’t deserve to win if we play limited openings.
It‘s nice too see that (in the b3-lines) Odessky had similar problems in the last 12 years as I had, and that he had similar ideas for salvation which didn’t work much better than mine. Maybe later I will give some lines.
It‘s perhaps a little less philosophical (but still very much) and certainly much more chaotic to read because 1.b3 and 1...b6 themes are alternating according to themes. And because it’s not devided in about 20 chapters but in fact only in 3 very long parts which you should each read from start to end!?

Of course 6 stars out of 5   Shocked

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 07/01/20 at 10:57:17
Post Tools
Just got an email from NIC saying this is now available.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 06/09/20 at 05:46:42
Post Tools
tracke wrote on 06/08/20 at 08:13:59:
Black has 4... d5 5.Bg2 Bc5! with the idea of an early ...d5-d4 . Black setups with Bd6 or Be7 doesn’t seem as dangerous.

White can maintain near equality with 4.Ne2 d5 5.g3 Bc5 6.Bg2 O-O 7.d4.
4.Bb5 is superior indeed.
Makes me too wonder about 1.e4 b6 etc.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 06/08/20 at 10:58:03
Post Tools
tracke wrote on 06/08/20 at 08:13:59:
Now there is a pdf preview at New in Chess:
https://www.newinchess.com/winning-quickly-with-1-b3-and-1-b6
The usual unusual witty style from Odessky: some tricks, traps, test positions and commented games. He seems to outline one white and one black repertoire.
Looks like a must-buy!

Regarding the (white) hippo I‘ve come to the conclusion that it is big difference if you start with an kingside fianchetto or with a queenside fianchetto, usually the latter one is weaker and more risky!? (I think Hort said something similiar of the black Hippo)
After 1.b3 e5 2.Bb3 Nc6 3.e3 Nf6 4.g3?! (better 4.Bb5, 4.c4 or 4.Nf3) Black has 4... d5 5.Bg2 Bc5! with the idea of an early ...d5-d4 . Black setups with Bd6 or Be7 doesn’t seem as dangerous.

tracke  Smiley

Still looking forward to this one.  Smiley

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #6 - 06/08/20 at 08:13:59
Post Tools
Now there is a pdf preview at New in Chess:
https://www.newinchess.com/winning-quickly-with-1-b3-and-1-b6
The usual unusual witty style from Odessky: some tricks, traps, test positions and commented games. He seems to outline one white and one black repertoire.
Looks like a must-buy!

Regarding the (white) hippo I‘ve come to the conclusion that it is big difference if you start with an kingside fianchetto or with a queenside fianchetto, usually the latter one is weaker and more risky!? (I think Hort said something similiar of the black Hippo)
After 1.b3 e5 2.Bb3 Nc6 3.e3 Nf6 4.g3?! (better 4.Bb5, 4.c4 or 4.Nf3) Black has 4... d5 5.Bg2 Bc5! with the idea of an early ...d5-d4 . Black setups with Bd6 or Be7 doesn’t seem as dangerous.

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 12/25/19 at 07:52:37
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 12/25/19 at 06:34:21:
I recognize the sentiment and do know what else to say: 4.g3 heading for a Hippo.

Guess the new book might reveal all !!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 12/25/19 at 06:34:21
Post Tools
MW wrote on 12/24/19 at 23:20:29:
"One must play 4 Bb5. But I really don't want to. Maybe 4 Nf3. I don't know what else to say".

I recognize the sentiment and do know what else to say: 4.g3 heading for a Hippo.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/24/19 at 23:20:29
Post Tools
Hmm...I have his winning with 1b3 but was disappointed...whilst it is an interesting read it was not what I was looking for. For example he spends a whole chapter looking at 1 b3 e5, 2 Bb2 Nc6 3 e3 d6 4 c4 to conclude with the comment " All White's problems, I am sure, start with the move 4 c4 etc etc" then adds 
"One must play 4 Bb5. But I really don't want to. Maybe 4 Nf3. I don't know what else to say".

Then there is no follow-up analysis on either move leaving the reader in limbo. He is certainly going to have to do much better than that before I will buy a second addition.   

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #2 - 12/24/19 at 21:57:10
Post Tools
This should be fun. Odessky’s way of writing is quirky, lively, and at least slightly bonkers (in a good way).
It’s perhaps the only chess book I have that’s a genuinely entertaining ‘bog read’ (as we might say in Blighty).

That said, I’d like editors to encourage a slightly more systematic approach to move orders and what works and doesn’t, to channel the fellow’s charm and erudition to make a better educational text.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 12/24/19 at 14:34:46
Post Tools
tracke wrote on 12/24/19 at 11:33:28:
There´s something very interesting announced at Amazon.de (but, so far, neither at Amazon.com nor at newinchess.com)

Winning quickly with 1.b3 and 1...b6   Odessky´s sparkling lines and deadly traps
by Ilya Odessky   10th June 2020, New in Chess, 384 pages, €23

"International Master Ilya Odessky is the world's leading expert on the 1.b3 and 1...b6 chess opening systems. Despite their apparent calm, these openings are extremely sharp. Now Odessky presents his findings and achievements of recent years. His baffling traps will help you crush your opponents in the opening, with both White and Black. Ilya Odessky will entertain, amuse and surprise you in this highly unusual chess opening book full of ultra-romantic chess" (Amazon.de)

Well, the book´s title was probably no idea of Odessky himself but of the NiC Marketing Team, but the book will surely become a must-buy for addicted fans like me.

tracke  Smiley

Hopefully this is an update on his earlier works and not simply what Everyman are doing and lumping multiple books together without making any changes.

W

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Odessky again on b3 & b6
12/24/19 at 11:33:28
Post Tools
There´s something very interesting announced at Amazon.de (but, so far, neither at Amazon.com nor at newinchess.com)

Winning quickly with 1.b3 and 1...b6   Odessky´s sparkling lines and deadly traps
by Ilya Odessky   10th June 2020, New in Chess, 384 pages, €23

"International Master Ilya Odessky is the world's leading expert on the 1.b3 and 1...b6 chess opening systems. Despite their apparent calm, these openings are extremely sharp. Now Odessky presents his findings and achievements of recent years. His baffling traps will help you crush your opponents in the opening, with both White and Black. Ilya Odessky will entertain, amuse and surprise you in this highly unusual chess opening book full of ultra-romantic chess" (Amazon.de)

Well, the book´s title was probably no idea of Odessky himself but of the NiC Marketing Team, but the book will surely become a must-buy for addicted fans like me.

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo