Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Laptop battery and analysing with engines (Read 462 times)
Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Laptop battery and analysing with engines
Reply #2 - 02/13/20 at 07:59:47
Post Tools
If you leave the battery in make sure you don't drain it to 5% or less and then recharge it, this will severely reduce your battery life. The old rechargeable batteries (Ni-Cd or NiM, I believe) had a "memory effect" where you had to really drain the battery otherwise the remaining capacity was severely reduced after recharging.
The Lithium-Ion batteries do not have such a memory effect.
Recharge at the lowest when it's at 20%, or better just keep the laptop plugged in whenever you can.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: Laptop battery and analysing with engines
Reply #1 - 02/11/20 at 20:49:14
Post Tools
Charge or discharge the battery to 80% and then remove it from the laptop. Do your chess analysis on mains power only.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Laptop battery and analysing with engines
02/11/20 at 20:29:22
Post Tools
My old laptop had died completely on Sunday. It had many problems, but the main problem was that the battery was drained to the point that when charging, it was stuck at 0%. Eventually it was unable to turn on. I think that this happened because I often analysed with Leela 23 (or Stockfish 11) and Komodo 10 running.

I now have a new laptop. Intel Core i7 with 1,50 GHz and 16,0 GB RAM. What should I do to protect the battery from draining its capacity, whilst at the same time analysing with two engines running.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo