Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Opening Preparation (Read 6954 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Opening Preparation
Reply #16 - 02/16/20 at 01:29:00
Post Tools
pinky wrote on 02/14/20 at 15:56:49:
I am re-framing my question instead of creating a new thread.

I wish to know how the pros prepare openings. By pros I mean titled players, or those who take chess as a career.

General opening preparation as well as preparing against an opponent. I am aware of preparing against opponent as I read the relevant material through various sources. Not that I know! It is just that I have no confusion in the process.

I am curious on how the pros build their repertoire, in chessbase or notes or whatever. How they do research, how they use the engines.

I am interested to know the step by step method, scientific approach if they follow. It would be great if some insights are shared.

My friend, there is no absolute scientific method that is foolproof, were it so we would all be GM's. Strong players, mainly through trial and error eventually discover what works best for them and go from there. At your level it is more important to play a lot to learn your strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes. To this end choose opponents slighter better than yourself and also slightly worse, review the games and draw some conclusions. 

I do not know the reason for your infatuation with this 6.Bd3 line, quite frankly the line looks like rubbish to me, and yes I know that very strong players probably use it, but my answer to that is so what, and the same goes for the equally ridiculous 6.h4. You may ask why then would strong players consider such lines in their Opening prep and Repertoires, the answer is manifold, but here are a couple:

A) Psychological - Through studying a line the player discovers a move that turns out not to be as stupid as it looks, and while it leads to no objective advantage it is likely to produce an over reaction from the opponent and or force them to think on their own.

B) Practical - If you come up with a fresh or rarely used idea, it is unlikely anyone will have any deep prep against it. The idea need not be great, it simply needs to be playable.

To prepare any opening properly strong players need a full overview of it, typical middle and endgames arising from it, recurring tactical patterns and strategic plans. For this you need many model games, say about a 100. Then you have to play the line against sparring partners to develop a feel for the play, and determine if the character of the positions suit you. Such understanding is vital for success, you will learn when typical ideas are likely to fail or succeed and when some positions are objectively better for one side, but easier to play for another.

On a personal note, Bobby Fischer and Mikhail Tal were my role models starting out, I studied the complete annotated games of Fischer and Tal's 1960 wch match against Botvinik, the latter of which gives very intimate incites into the complicated world of opening prep. I developed a love and understanding for the King's Indian primarily from these players, but at the same time I discovered the Najdorf was not for me as I did not like the positions arising from the Poisoned Pawn despite Fischer's success with it. Later I discovered it was not simply the PP I didn't like, but any opening that conceded an initiative on my King for the sake of pawn grabbing.

I forgot to mention that strong players mainly use engines to blunder check their analysis and to find tactical resources both offensively and defensively in lines they want to play. Much more could be said on this topic, but I hate typing long posts and besides, more than enough useful advice has already been shared in this thread. Just remember that in Chess like most things, you must learn to crawl before you can walk, and try not to overthink it so much.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #15 - 02/15/20 at 19:37:16
Post Tools
In Grandmaster Opening Preparation, Jaan Ehlvest makes similar observations about engines. 

IIRC, his basic view seems to be that it’s far more important to get a position you can understand and play, rather than the one the computer likes best.

This is especially true at lower levels and it’s only at the top that the engine evaluation really becomes relevant (I guess because they are proficient enough to make it count.) 

This from a GM who willingly plays the Black side of the Keres Attack.  He admits White is better, but relies on Black’s counterchances and the fact that he’s familiar with the position.

But still, seems to be common sense.

At amateur level, he suggests learning openings by playing over GM games, reading books and getting a coach.  At one point he says that, up to 2100 level, it’s hard for amateurs to tease out the truth about openings just from books and GM games, and that they often reach wrong conclusions when they try. 

He recommends true beginners start with 1.e4.  Try to follow general principles — develop pieces + control center.  4 Knights is good.  Open games a la Morphy.

He’s against memorization (at any level).  Have to understand not memorize  for when opponent deviates and because opening is a connected and integral part of the middle game strategy.

At the pro level, the opening preparation is mostly about selecting an opening for a specific opponent (and checking it). 

He tells a story where Polugaevesky claimed that, in corr. chess with enough time to analyze, he could play as well as Kasparov, and Kasparov responded that Polugaevsky would first have to choose the right line to play.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #14 - 02/15/20 at 18:14:59
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 02/14/20 at 17:28:11:
Many of the ChessBase features were added with the input of top players who visited with the developers.
----
The available tools are increasing in power, the information on how to use the tools is not keeping up.

It is much worse. CB and in consequence its followers were developed by people having a marketing tool with Kasparow. They made it a tool for an absolute top player and this has never been redesigned for low level and average players.
A GM can skip through twenty and more games in an hour and sees what is new, what his possible opposition prefers, ... A club player cannot do this, a beginner should not even try it.

Databases are good for collecting information. Producing useful output is something else.

@pinky

As child and long time later I had the same idea: I get a position, there are five or more moves possible. Prepare those.

And I drowned in the lines.

You have a human mind (probably  Cheesy) and this is different to IT-logic. You must learn where to put pieces in this Najdorf-line. This means to understand what activ ideas your opponent has, what active ideas you have. If you analyze a game, own played or read somewhere, do it like Victor Bologan recommended following his trainer. Write down three points you found interesting or learned from this game. Three!!!! You want to start with 5 moves leading to more questions each. This is nothing a human can digest.

Far from any esoterical or religious believes: Accept you're human in learning chess.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #13 - 02/14/20 at 17:28:11
Post Tools
pinky wrote on 02/14/20 at 15:56:49:
I am interested to know the step by step method, scientific approach if they follow.

From the pros I can find only hints, not clear directions. The next was tantalizing:
Quote:
One of the main aims of this book is to acquaint the reader with my methods of creating an opening repertoire, so that you can then yourself independently add to and perfect it.
-- Evgeny and Vladimir Sveshnikov (2015) A Chess Opening Repertoire for Blitz and Rapid, page 13
https://books.google.com/books?id=JPjnCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA5&source=gbs_selected_pages&...

I have this book, and have read all the words in it. The promised information is nowhere to be found inside.

Many of the ChessBase features were added with the input of top players who visited with the developers. When Patrick Wolff was a second to Anand, he wrote in Chess Horizons that the most important thing for opening preparation was the correct use of the ChessBase Keys. However, he didn't actually say how to use the Keys. I don't know if the Keys are still so important today. Since then they added many features, like the Repertoire Database (good stuff), the Tree (doesn't work at all), and the Powerbooks (more a product than a feature). It wouldn't hurt to read the manual. Also chessbase.com periodically posts articles explaining how to use the different features.

The available tools are increasing in power, the information on how to use the tools is not keeping up.

IP Logged

pinky
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 02/14/20 at 15:56:49
Post Tools
I am re-framing my question instead of creating a new thread.

I wish to know how the pros prepare openings. By pros I mean titled players, or those who take chess as a career.

General opening preparation as well as preparing against an opponent. I am aware of preparing against opponent as I read the relevant material through various sources. Not that I know! It is just that I have no confusion in the process.

I am curious on how the pros build their repertoire, in chessbase or notes or whatever. How they do research, how they use the engines.

I am interested to know the step by step method, scientific approach if they follow. It would be great if some insights are shared.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #11 - 02/14/20 at 12:40:23
Post Tools
pinky wrote on 02/14/20 at 07:12:45:
1. How do I prepare the actual lines in the opening.
2. Is there any methodical way you experts follow?

1. You shouldn't. It's a waste of time. You should remember three things and try to apply them in your games:

a. Control the center (squares d4, e4, d5 and e5);
b. Find decent to good squares for all your pieces (including your rooks, but be cautious with your queen);
c. Mind your king safety.

Say you meet the Najdorf. 6.Bd3 is a fine move. Decide what you're going to do with your queen's bishop, find a nice square for your queen, decide which side you're going to castle. Play through a dozen of high level games to see what the pros do and get some inspiration.
Going any further or deeper is like studying derivatives and integrals before learning to multiply.

2. Study tactics, tactics and more tactics. Do exercises; there are several sites on internet.
Buy Herman Grooten's Chess Strategy for Club Players or something similar.
Study basic endgames. I just googled; there is some stuff on internet on this topic as well.

Your attempts remind be of IM Botterill's quote from 1985: "The pathetic spectacle of someone playing the first twenty-five moves like a grandmaster and the next ten like a gorilla is becoming quite common nowadays."

After you've masterred those essentials you can try some (slightly) more sophisticated stuff.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #10 - 02/14/20 at 12:12:51
Post Tools
@an ordinary chessplayer It's a great book! I couldn't take my eyes off it. Bareev is cultured and philosophical (if in a slightly bitter Russian way). It really conjures up a vivid picture of the experience of a world championship match.

@pinky They memorize moves, sometimes long tactical sequences of forced and semi-forced moves. However, they see the moves in large chunks the way a pianist sees a whole sequence of notes as a single riff, and they can often work out some of the details at the board if they remember the general direction and evaluation of the sequence. Furthermore, they understand the point of each move in the form of a variety of unstated common strategical and tactical ideas. Say they memorize Qb3 in some 1.d4 d5 opening. They see immediately, or rather know automatically, that Qb3 will attack the opponent's d-pawn and b-pawn, that it may be answered by ...Qb6, that if it is, the queens are in a face-off where either can initiate a capture, that unless they can exchange off the opponent' c-pawn first, whoever takes will only seem to damage the opponent's pawns but in fact may give the opponent better play; and they know in general how to execute that play: advance the doubled pawn at good moment--they know they will be able to tell what moment is good, etc.

Now, all that the opening book may say on that move is "Qb3"--that's it--and the response ...Qb6 may not even be mentioned because White could play dxc5 followed by ...Qxb6 axb6, creating truly bad double isolated pawns. Or  if White can't do this, then...Qb6 may be given with a few following moves where no queen trade happens, because initiating a queen trade helps the other player's game here. The pro player memorizes Qb3 and understands that it implies all the above, since "every Russian schoolboy knows." What is meant by many subsequent moves is similarly unstated.

The book gives a few moves, the pro remembers them, and this huge context is implied--the book doesn't bother to explain it. When a beginner reads the same book, he memorizes Qb3 and the next few moves in the book, but on playing it is immediately faced with his opponent's response ... Qb6 that the book, for good reason, didn't mention. He doesn't see---how could he--that he should give up his strong center pawn with ...dxc5 now. Instead, he plays something else normal, like Bd3. Then the opponent, also a beginner, plays ...Qxb3, not knowing that that is considered a mistake, and the first beginner, also unaware of this, says "zut! now I have to double my pawns when I recapture." He doesn't know that these doubled pawns are actually good because he can advance the front pawn all the way to b5, trade, and attack the Black b-pawn from the now-open a-file. So he plays something else, and eventually one player hangs a piece and loses.

Now, what did he get out of reading, memorizing, and playing the move Qb3, as the pro did? He didn't know why he "should" play the move, couldn't capitalize on his opponent's mistaken response, and the game was always destined to be decided by one or more much bigger mistakes in the middlegame and endgame anyway. In fact, he shouldn't play the book move. He should play a less complicated idea, drawn from his very own head, that he understands and knows how to use, like developing a knight with Nf3.
« Last Edit: 02/14/20 at 16:28:29 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

pinky
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/14/20 at 07:12:45
Post Tools
Your replies were enlightening and adds to the other threads here about openings.

Until one becomes an expert player, opening preparation is not important. The elements of chess and an efficient thinking, calculation process is important. All these I have read from various threads and sources.

I think I didn't frame my question correctly.

Let's say, I have played a game and I faced the Najdorf Sicilian. After the game I thought of preparation in this opening. I am interested to know how the professional players prepare opening.

I see one of the latest articles from chesspublishing and 6.Bd3 was discussed.

How do I prepare this variation?

On one hand I have the megabase, corr, strong player games, engine matches.
On the other hand I have the collection of beautifully commented GM games in this line, around 10 of them.

Of course, the professional players have already crossed this phase of becoming familiar with the general opening knowledge.

Yet I feel they will get benefited from the commented games and engines.

After understanding the plans, evaluations and looking what masters have played in the line, what do I do?

How do I prepare the actual lines in the opening. Is there any methodical way you experts follow?

To be more precise, is there a step by step method you follow, as an example:

1) Take 5 important opponent replies
2) Evaluate the best engine moves, look up in the corr db or strong players db and prepare the reply

and so on?  Smiley

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #8 - 02/14/20 at 03:32:39
Post Tools
I haven't seen From London to Elista. I will have to check it out.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #7 - 02/14/20 at 02:14:18
Post Tools
The direct question was "I repeat this until when?"
The direct answer is "until now. You  stop immediately."

As to "I would like to know how the pros prepare openings," if he just wanted to know out of detached cutiosity, he could get a good idea of what pros do from the book From London to Elista, in which Bareev, one of Kramnik's seconds, details what it was like preparing. But  it is obvious that the OP  was envisioning benefitting from the pro methods if feasible; so the real information he was seeking is "it is not feasible, and you would derive no benefit from attempting to duplicate their activities."

In the case of my own post, both of these answers were implied by my first sentence.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #6 - 02/14/20 at 00:12:54
Post Tools
There's a time to study openings, and there's a time to work on other parts of the game. Most people, not just beginners, spend way too much time on the openings. Certainly I did, for too many years.

Still, I thought the OP asked an interesting technical question. The replies given are correct, but they don't answer the question....

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #5 - 02/13/20 at 22:02:56
Post Tools
@kylemeister That's really quite impressive. What is it called, the PCP Attack?

@pinky Studying openings is a mistake for you. When I was at your level I could not even understand why the good moves are good--if you knew all the best moves and your  opponent played a bad opening move (by the standards in opening books),  you could not gain one ounce of advantage out of it; you'd have no idea what to do, and even if you did hit on the right plan, you couldn't execute that plan without both you and your opponent making many large errors that rendered the plan irrelevant. If you were taking up figure skating, would you spend your time studying books on how to set up a difficult jump at a stage when you can't yet keep your legs from shaking or cut a stable path across the rink without falling? First you should  acquire some stability. We've all been there.

You may not know this-- in chess books it generally goes without saying--but non-beginning players, even those who are very far from being masters, execute all those plans you read about, and carry out all those opening ideas, while navigating through a virtual hail of stinging tactics *the whole time* (partly with conscious effort, partly automatically--the better the player, the more sophisticated the automatic control, but even world champions must make conscious efforts to avoid the ever-present tactical hail). This constant avoidance of tactical stings--every one of which can lose the game--is the equivalent of a skater's moving steadily and stably over the ice without falling or shaking.

What are these stings? Leaving pieces where they can be taken for free, allowing knight forks, getting your queen pinned to your king, and other basic tactics. But the ability to move stably and safely through them takes a considerable amount of initial practice to achieve, and that should be your first major goal. It will lay the foundation for all the others to come and will, by itself, allow you to win games from all those who are significantly less stable.

How do you get this ability? (1) Play slowly. This is why we couldn't believe you considered analyzing a 1-minute game. I played a game a few nights ago that lasted nearly four hours. When you play fast, you only use what's already automatic for you. But chess is a game where you are supposed to stop and think. (2) actively look for ways your opponent could sting you if you made the move you're about to make, and look before making every single move of the game. (3) To gain the ability to see once you do look, study books of basic tactics. Susan Polgar's Learn Chess the Right Way, a series of 5 short books, is ideal for this, but there are others. (4) Do some of this study (at least 10-15 minutes) every day.

As far as the other things you need to learn are concerned, like getting all your pieces out so they can actually take stuff (for you, this is the essence of the opening--though as a good foundation for correct play, you should also try to control the four central squares), the book A Guide to Chess Improvement by Dan Heisman will tell you.

Good luck!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 02/12/20 at 21:54:05
Post Tools
1050 is approximately the (USCF) rating I got from my first tournament, decades ago.  I suppose it gives an indication of my level of understanding at the time that, as I recall, I played this as White:  1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 g6 4. Bxf7+.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #3 - 02/12/20 at 20:40:45
Post Tools
Btw - playing 1-minute-games? Seriously?

A general remark - having tried CB products, CA, Aquarium, Chess Position Trainer, Chessable, and probably something I forgot meanwhile, I think sitting in front of a board with a book or being strong enough to to this on sreen and a game collection in the background is essential.

First things first. Learn opening principles and take a repertoire from a book recommending open games for beginners with white and symmetrical openings with black. Start learning to play open positions. Spend 60% with tactics, 30% with endings, 10% with openings. If you like tactics you can spend 70% with it and skip the openings except talking with your otb opponents. This will do it for the first three years.

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #2 - 02/12/20 at 16:07:18
Post Tools
pinky wrote on 02/12/20 at 07:31:21:
I would like to know how the pros prepare openings.

By "pro" I think you mean GM, although they are not strictly synonymous.

Anyway, there are two parts to this: (A) general opening knowledge; (B) specific opening preparation. Pros already have a lot of A, and spend almost all their current time on B. Amateurs need to do the opposite. You may still wish to know how to do B, one simple way to find out would be to pay a pro to show you their method. I don't think you can expect any pros to explain it here on chesspub. Some non-pros have quite elaborate methods of opening preparation. I would be wary. I'm not sure how effective their methods are, compared to the actual methods used by the pros.

pinky wrote on 02/12/20 at 07:31:21:
Im looking for a scientific or a methodical way to study openings using chessbase, fritz.

• Before you start, you need a repertoire. TopNotch gave some ideas where to get one.
  • Then you create one or more personal repertoire databases, with your bare lines. There is no point to importing a bunch of lines that you haven't looked at. Keep it minimal to start and grow the repertoire organically.
  • From your big database, select a manageable set of games from the line that interests you, and play through them fairly quickly, just to see typical ideas. You may add some of these variations to your repertoire database, if they are instructive or thematic.
  • Play some practice games in the same opening. (This is your step "1)".) I don't know how much value there is to playing practice games against the computer. Computers cheat by having an opening book to look at. You should try to practice against the type and level of opponent you will face in your competitive tournament games, although a slightly stronger level is helpful. As you already know, analyze these games to see where you went wrong, and put that in your repertoire database as well.
  • Go through The Week in Chess, looking for new ideas both in your repertoire and outside it.

The kinds of information you want in your repertoire database are:
  • Moves and lines that are frequently played by the types of opponents you will be facing. These moves are usually not the same ones the pros play.
  • Traps. You shouldn't play for traps, but if they arise in the natural course of play, then you want to know about them.
  • Thematic play. What you are looking for are games where one side plays weakly or passively, and the other side gets "everything".
  • Moves and lines that are recommended against your repertoire in various places, e.g. in repertoire books for the other side. These will typically lead you into ...
  • Critical positions. For your purposes, critical positions are those where both sides have played the best moves, and you aren't quite sure what to do for your side. Spend some time with the computer on these positions, come up with something, and try out your idea in practice games.

You might notice that I didn't mention anything about your step "2)". I really think you should skip it.

One of the joys of openings is finding something that everyone else thinks is bad, but you think is good. One of the annoyances of openings is when your opponent plays what is "according to theory" a 2nd or 3rd-rate move, and you can't figure out what's wrong with it. These are precisely the kinds of information you can't find in 2500 vs 2500 databases.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo