Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Improving tactical play? (Read 334 times)
pinky
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Improving tactical play?
Reply #4 - 02/14/20 at 07:24:06
Post Tools
Im a fan of the so called "seven circle method or the woodpecker", I collect a set of 1000 exercises at my level and repeat it until the patterns get stuck in my head.

I use ct-art too and lucas chess for repetitive tests.

Improving calculations - I think you know far better than what I know at 1050.

From what I gathered from various sources, an efficient thinking process and calculation process is a prerequisite. Next, calculation exercises from your games and engine games is a good idea.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 02/13/20 at 18:55:53
Post Tools
Solving puzzles is the main thing to do, but I think the key to it is intensity.  When I'm trying to sharpen board vision/tactical ability for an upcoming game or tournament, I find that a small number of really hard exercizes works better than a whole bunch of easy to moderate puzzles. 

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #2 - 02/13/20 at 18:37:10
Post Tools
Any systematic training will help you gain 100 points in one year. There are some good books about in the orbit. Take Tisdall, Aagaard, Hendricks, Jussupow, ... Something you like will help you. Everything else will be put away.

Btw: What were your thoughts so far and how did you reach that level?

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #1 - 02/13/20 at 18:25:31
Post Tools
I think you might do well to categorize your missed shots and blunders, to see what they have in common. Of course, don't reveal that information to anyone, especially not on the internet!

"Calculation" involves some different steps.  A book on "how to calculate" might help you identify what the steps are. So if, for example, you are weak in visualization the fix would be one thing. If you are weak in candidate moves the fix is different. And so on...

Doing a lot of puzzles is great, because it works all the parts, including your own particular weakness. But if you target that weakness more specifically then you will improve faster.

IP Logged

ehpotsirhc
YaBB Newbies

Improving tactical play?
02/13/20 at 18:03:39
Post Tools
Hello,
Do you have recommendations on how to improve tactical play and calculations? Do a lot of puzzles?
I'm rated around 2200, but I am fairly weak tactically (I often miss shots or even blunder). I'd say my tactical skills are on par with a 1900-2000 player. I have recently started solving problems on CT-ART. Any other recommendations? Thank you.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo