ISHI Press    
  0 (0.0%)
Other    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 31
« Created by: grandpatzer on: 03/04/20 at 21:23:41 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is your favourite chess publisher in English? (Read 6761 times)
Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: What is your favourite chess publisher in English?
Reply #17 - 03/11/20 at 10:32:24
Post Tools
I voted Quality, but I notice I have bought a few Thinker's of late. I agree McFarland is more expensive, but good stuff.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 03/11/20 at 09:35:55
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 03/10/20 at 17:21:47:
Yes! They're called Moravian Chess,  www.moravian-chess.cz.  I have Botvinnik's Best Games, a 3-volume set, annotated by the Patriarch (not to be confused with the "complete games and articles" set), as well as the 2-volume Smyslov set. Tremendous. Shiny hardback books, somewhat expensive but not for what you get.

Thanks Rene,

I forgot, i also have the Botvinnik books by them. I'm glad they are still around.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #15 - 03/10/20 at 17:21:47
Post Tools
Yes! They're called Moravian Chess,  www.moravian-chess.cz. ; I have Botvinnik's Best Games, a 3-volume set, annotated by the Patriarch (not to be confused with the "complete games and articles" set), as well as the 2-volume Smyslov set. Tremendous. Shiny hardback books, somewhat expensive but not for what you get.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 03/07/20 at 10:07:54
Post Tools
Does Moravian House still exist? I think that was the name of the publisher?

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

pirx
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 03/07/20 at 10:06:24
Post Tools
I have bought 20+ books in the past couple of years (far too many!), most from the usual suspects, though I do have one very good one from Schachverlag Kania (in English, so it counts). The Kania one has the best production values and the Quality Chess ones the most detail, but in the end I chose to vote for New in Chess as my favourite publisher. They published the Bologan books (which I can't do without) and, as a clincher, Willy Hendricks' "Move First, Think Later". My favourite!

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 03/07/20 at 08:30:44
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 03/06/20 at 15:23:04:
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/06/20 at 02:31:44:
I want to say Quality Chess. But I actually voted for Everyman Chess, because in the last several years I have bought more titles from them than any other publisher.

Well, for me excellent editing matters a lot, too--I should have mentioned that above. For example, Ntirlis's Black QGD repertoire for Quality Chess contains mainline recommendations that Everyman's three subsequent QGD-related offerings--from Davies, Lackdawala, and Lemos--don't even mention. Ntirlis deviates from all these at move 8 or earlier. I'd love to play these lines against someone who thinks he's booked from Everyman books.

I like Everyman because the already mentioned PGN-files. But I totally agree about the editing part. It is very important to me as well, both content and layout. Unfortunately, these books are not the only Everyman ones that are missing earlier suggestions from "main" sources, or leaving out main alternatives. For this reason alone, I have not bought Lemos latest book.

I also agree, I would love to play the lines against someone who books up with Everyman (and does not cross-check with other sources)!

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #11 - 03/06/20 at 23:18:45
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 03/06/20 at 19:54:57:
ReneDescartes wrote on 03/05/20 at 20:24:56:
I think Russell Enterprises and Edition Olms do a great service publishing some timeless classics.

Agreed, and would add Caissa Editions and MacFarland to that list.  My all time favorites are the Caissa Editions red tournament books.  A bit expensive, but outstanding.

Yes! I have St. Petersburg 1914, by Tarrasch with Maroczy's additions, and Moscow 1936 , edited by Adams with annotations by Botvinnik, Levenfish, Capablanca et. al. Marvelous stuff!

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #10 - 03/06/20 at 19:54:57
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 03/05/20 at 20:24:56:
I think Russell Enterprises and Edition Olms do a great service publishing some timeless classics.

Agreed, and would add Caissa Editions and MacFarland to that list.  My all time favorites are the Caissa Editions red tournament books.  A bit expensive, but outstanding.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #9 - 03/06/20 at 19:36:36
Post Tools
For me, Quality Chess is clearly the best.  High end content, impressive GM authors, cutting edge theory, and good production values. 

Besides, doesn't everyone want their pet opening to be the next volume in the Grandmaster Repertoire series?   Wink

I hate to say it, but I think Everyman has declined.  I can't remember the last time I was excited about an Everyman book coming out.  As RoleyPoley notes, their recent releases have been mostly repackaged material, plus books by Lakdawala and the Dojnas brothers. 

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #8 - 03/06/20 at 15:23:04
Post Tools
I want to say Quality Chess. But I actually voted for Everyman Chess, because in the last several years I have bought more titles from them than any other publisher.

Well, for me excellent editing matters a lot, too--I should have mentioned that above. For example, Ntirlis's Black QGD repertoire for Quality Chess contains mainline recommendations that Everyman's three subsequent QGD-related offerings--from Davies, Lackdawala, and Lemos--don't even mention. Ntirlis deviates from all these at move 8 or earlier. I'd love to play these lines against someone who thinks he's booked from Everyman books.
« Last Edit: 03/06/20 at 23:19:24 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 03/06/20 at 14:35:09
Post Tools
I'm not sure who to pick for this. I dont like the layout of the Gambit books, but they have had some well written ones. They dont release books all that frequently anymore though.

Everyman are probably the ones i've most frequently bought and may edge my decision.... I like their spacing and layout - but not the fact that many of the books now are written by Lakdawala in his excessive floweriness or a repackaging of older books without updating the theory or at least warning people they are older titles and so may be out of date. In regards to the latter point, i actually do like the having the repackaged books.

New in chess in the past again, i have disliked their layout, it has often felt a bit too cluttered but some of their more recent offerings have been really nice - the De Santis and Sielecki books in particular. For all the content flaws with Moret's books, i think the layout was excellent.

Quality Chess have some excellent books, i am just not sure that i like the font/layout as much as other ones. Content wise they are top of the pile i think as is Chess Stars. I also like the fact they are willing to try out different types of books - i.e some of the older tournaments for example.

Honourable mention for Batsford - Winning with the Dragon and Winning with the Kings Gambit are probably my two favourite books of all time.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #6 - 03/06/20 at 12:59:34
Post Tools
The last Quality Chess openings book I bought was The King's Gambit. ...

Getting senile -- I made a few more recent purchases from them. But Everyman is still well ahead.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 03/06/20 at 10:39:20
Post Tools
I want to say Quality Chess. But I actually voted for Everyman Chess, because in the last several years I have bought more titles from them than any other publisher. Is it the pgn that does it for me?

My thoughts exactly. I vote Everyman, for their decision to provide some excellent books in an open format (PGN).

With PGNS, my future ability to read these eBooks is in my own hands, not in the hands of a proprietary eBook reader manufacturer which might not exist.

I don't know how much of a problem Everyman has had with piracy. At least from me, they have made a lot more because of their willingness to provide an open format.

Also, there are some truly excellent books available in the PGN catalogue: e.g. the Kasparov Series, Fire on Board, Life and Games of Mikhail Tal. On the opening front, there are titles e.g. Sadler's one on the QGD and Gallagher's starting out on the KID, which have timeless didactic value even if the theory might be a bit dated.

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/06/20 at 09:07:46
Post Tools
I get Everyman books for free, so I can't put them.

Of all the others, I buy according to content, rather than publisher. But format-wise I do have a fondness for the old Batsford layout. Chess Stars aren't too far from that, and they've released quite a few books recently that have interested me. So... Smiley

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 03/06/20 at 02:31:44
Post Tools
I want to say Quality Chess. But I actually voted for Everyman Chess, because in the last several years I have bought more titles from them than any other publisher. Is it the pgn that does it for me? Maybe not, because in second place by titles purchased is New in Chess. It's more probably because of my eclectic taste in openings. The last Quality Chess openings book I bought was The King's Gambit. When their Elephant Gambit book comes out I will definitely be getting that one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo